Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
One of my "fondest" memories was a rather obscure game which name I can't remember (may have been something similar to Azaroth). On one of the first screens you can go in several directions. Go East resulted in "you fall down a cliff. You die". At least it was a qucik death...

I once wrote a text adventure on my old Commodore VIC-20 in Basic around 1982. It was basically a 3 maybe 4 minute game because if the player stepped in any direction -- East, West, North, South -- a grisly lovecraftian death, one by hideous multi-colored alien tendrils, awaited you if you took one step further. The only other human being beside myself to play it was my twenty-something niece, Theresa (may she R.I.P). She actually had a mild anxiety attack when she realized that her player character was doomed with the increasingly horrible and vivid descriptions of a weird death in any direction she stepped. Burger Becky claimed that Michael Cranford wrote Bard's Tale 2 with the strict intention and cruel idea that the player wouldn't be able to win (not true, btw). Hey, that was MY idea, Becky, not Mike's.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I've been playing with Bard's Tale Construction Set. I'm surprised not much has been done with it, because compared to FRUA it's far less restrictive. Chalk it up to brand, I guess. So for example, there's no limit on the number of maps. Granted, too many would stretch the monster variety thin--but that's not the point! Items and spells are completely editable. The event editor features primitive scripting, allowing for all kinds of shenanigans. You could even code little mini-games. It's kind of amazing. What's even better, the lessons I learned modding/hacking TES Arena apply to BTCS. I've already been able to overcome some of the supposed engine limitations. The sample game included is absolutely terrible, but I'm convinced a dedicated person could make this goose drop a golden egg.

I'm thinking Krome Studios should release a construction set for their excellent Bard's Tale remasters. Authors could do wonders with that, and it'd have broader appeal for RPG gamers instead of just a tiny or non-existent niche audience.

flyingjohn

Arcane

Proceeded by the protagonist kicking the cat for shittalking.
Wtf,jap mobile games have better characters then the console jrpgs.

Viata

Arcane
Finished Avernum 1. It took me about 60 hours to finish the game, mostly because I liked it so much I wanted to do everything in the game and because I had played for 30 hours straight, then stopped for almost 2 years and went back without remembering anything, so I visited every single place again(and thanks to that was able to get further in many dungeons because now I had skills/levels required to pass it) to relearn what is going on in the game, what I had done and what I should do/go. The journal only had the current quests I was doing and some I had no idea why I was doing them. Because the game was quite fun, I had no problem in doing that and in fact I had a lot of fun doing it.
Killing the Emperor was amazing. That place was quite hard, but my based Wizard raped everyone thanks to his overpower spells. The last battle was annoying, first and only time I had used those invincible bottles because those golems killed me quite easily in their first or second turn. I like the idea that the Emperor was quite weak and you kill him in one hit after he removes his barrier.
The best moment was when I finally got to leave that place. It was worth every second getting there. The wizard class gets quite broken later on when he learns better spells, it pretty much raped almost every important enemy in the game.

Now I started Nethergate. This game aged quite well. Despite the lack of animations for walking/running, Vogel still put sprites for characters sitting(I liked it, heh). Started with Romans and may play as Druids after I finish it. The game is quite hard(probably the most hard of the games I have played from him), but whenever you kill some hard monster, you feel better. I have reloaded many times to make a better strategy so no one dies during some important battle(mostly because return a whole dungeon with 2 characters only is asking to die if the enemy has some group waiting for me a the entrance, like in the first dungeon). I just got the fifth partner, which I took the druid girl instead of another roman warrior.

I also started FreeCiv. I want to learn how to play 4x games, something I find interesting but have never tried before. I'm also playing this so I don't get bored of playing only crpgs. I just started it so I don't have anything to say about it besides I'm reading the manual as I play it. Hopefully I have as much fun as I find this genre interesting.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane

I gave it 3 hours before uninstalling.

When I see games like this, I want to play an evil Dark Overlord of the Underworld , and "guide my dark armies to the light of the Overworld, where I corrupt the land and dispatch anything even vaguely heroic, cute or unicorn-shaped." Dungeon 3

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
vZ6swbc.jpg

Playing through nu-Prey on max difficulty with all survival options turned on.

So far I've spent 7 hours cursing and scraping for resources, and this feeling reminds me of my first playthrough of System Shock 2.

Pretty good game so far.

Adon

Arcane
Been playing Witcher 1 for the first time.

It's pretty okay, and serviceable. It's any wonder this series took off if I'm being honest. I like a lot of concepts for both the gameplay and narrative, but the execution isn't there to elevate the rest of the game.

For the story, take Chapter 1 for example. I don't know if I missed anything here, but it seems a fairly straightforward goal of solving quests, and figuring out information about Salamandra while doing them as you try to find Javed. At the end of it, Abigail mentions all these twists and turns about how the people you've been working for the entire time are all rotten to the core, and have done evil deeds that caused them to unintentionally conjure up the beast. I love the idea behind that if there were a bit more foreshadowing around this concept. Instead of having clues here and there (the most you get is maybe a small scene with Odo's dog), it's just a bit of a twist that turns the narrative on its head instead of a proper build-up leading into a crescendo
Replaying this for about the fifth time or something after a hiatus of maybe three years. I somewhat disagree. You can spot evidence for all of these things before the end of C1. They do come all at once though, and the witch is slightly suspicious although the lesser evil.
Ilsa killed herself with poison, mentions of her violation, Mikul being a bitch. Odo's dog barking at his brother's grave, him being a lousy drunk (this is the biggest leap though before the reveals at the end). Haren dealing with all sides. Reverend being obviously a bastard. When the Beast is bit by bit revealed to have come from the wickedness of men, all the parts start falling to their places. But that's just my two cents.

Like I said, I wasn't sure if I was missing anything, but regardless, could've been done in a more interesting way.

Anyway, finished it.

Chapter 4 felt like it was a filler chapter meant to pad out the game. Don't get me wrong, I like the change of scenery, and not being in Vizima or dealing with the swamps again, but it was jarring to go from an escalating situation to suddenly being out in some small village dealing with the marriage of the chief's daughter and the whole drama surrounding that with her sister and Adam. The other reason I say this is because there's almost nothing there that moves the plot forward until the very end. Only 3 notable things happen: 1. Alvin disappears 2. Berengar gets found and tells you information 3. Geralt has to pick a side at the very end. They could've easily done this in a different way without having to completely remove you from the main quest.

As expected, Chapter 5 is the last chapter. Well, except for the part where it really isn't. It more or less plays out in a straightforward way. Until the end where you figure out that Salamandra has someone else pulling the strings behind the scenes! And so the Epilogue ends up just dragging out the ending, but not by too much, just enough that it adds to the tedium of the combat and you wish they had cut out a few of the fights. Nothing too surprising other than the ambiguous hint that the grandmaster is actually Alvin (or at least that was my takeaway from him have the necklace). Again, if that is the case, that's really interesting and adds more to the character and motivation, it just makes me wish he had at least made an earlier appearance to make that idea hit harder.

Overall, combat becomes a slog after a while, certain aspects of the story never feel fully fleshed out (esp the more interesting ideas), and overall the game just feels like an introduction to everything Witcher. If this was the only entry in the series, I'd feel dissatisfied because some stuff is really interesting, but it almost feels like CD Projekt was avoiding going too much into detail into anything because they were going to expand on it in the sequel. But there's a charm to the game, and to what it tries to do. Looking forward to starting Witcher 2.

:3/5:

Last edited:

JDR13

Arcane
vZ6swbc.jpg

Playing through nu-Prey on max difficulty with all survival options turned on.

So far I've spent 7 hours cursing and scraping for resources, and this feeling reminds me of my first playthrough of System Shock 2.

Pretty good game so far.

More than pretty good imo. I thought it was one of the best games of 2017.

JDR13

Arcane
Overall, combat becomes a slog after a while, certain aspects of the story never feel fully fleshed out (esp the more interesting ideas), and overall the game just feels like an introduction to everything Witcher. If this was the only entry in the series, I'd feel dissatisfied because some stuff is really interesting, but it almost feels like CD Projekt was avoiding going too much into detail into anything because they were going to expand on it in the sequel. But there's a charm to the game, and to what it tries to do. Looking forward to starting Witcher 2.

The Witcher is one of my favorite games when it comes to the story and writing. It's right up there with TW3, and the soundtrack is one of the all-time best.

I disagree about the story not feeling fully fleshed out. Certain things were intentionally left vague (i.e. The Grandmaster - Alvin connection) for the player to draw their own conclusions. I actually prefer that approach vs everything being spelled out for us.

I agree about combat becoming a slog by the end. However, in my experience, the majority of RPGs suffer from that same issue.

Adon

Arcane

The Witcher is one of my favorite games when it comes to the story and writing. It's right up there with TW3, and the soundtrack is one of the all-time best.

I disagree about the story not feeling fully fleshed out. Certain things were intentionally left vague (i.e. The Grandmaster - Alvin connection) for the player to draw their own conclusions. I actually prefer that approach vs everything being spelled out for us.

I agree about combat becoming a slog by the end. However, in my experience, the majority of RPGs suffer from that same issue.

You misunderstand. I only mean certain aspects, not the whole thing. Things like Geralt's amnesia, Berengar, etc., I'm assuming that some things are going to be touched up on in other games. The main story itself is fine, Salamandra is fine as is the Order of the Flaming Rose and the conflict between humans and nonhumans. That stuff is fine. And just so that it doesn't sound like I have no positive things to say about the writing, I loved the characters. Geralt, Dandelion, Triss, Vincent, Shani, etc., along with some of those side quests like Dandelion's Party. I thought that stuff was great and it's really what kept me going and what makes me want to keep moving forward with the series.

Also as far as the Grandmaster - Alvin connection, I only mean that I wish the Grandmaster had been introduced earlier as a character, not that the connection should've been made clearer. It would've been neat to have gotten him to know better as a character instead of him being introduced at the last minute for him to be an antagonist. But it does make me curious to know if the things you try to instill in Alvin affect the things the Grandmaster says at the Epilogue.

Last edited:

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Finished Metroid Zero Mission, now into Metroid 2 with color patch ( https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4388/ + https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4579/ )

You should play AM2R. It's vastly superior. - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AM2R

I remember renting Super Metroid from my local Blockbuster video store when it first came out for my Super Nintendo console. Will always remember that lisping game developer using his own voice in the brief digitized exposition. Never was I so unhappy to have to return a game within the 2-3 days rental time limit and leave it uncompleted (for some bizarre reason, it never occurred to me to, um, just rent it again). Still looking for that perfect Metroid experience. Maybe this is it.

ebPD8PePfC

Savant
Void Bastards – It’s a nice roguelite FPS, but some issues bother me. The first is that I really don’t like the progression elements. Progression should be horizontal rather than vertical. Getting an EMP grenade to deal with turrets in fun. Tripling your health on the other hand feels cheap because it trivializes the content of the game. When giving horizontal progression it should be a crotch for bad players, rather than a gating mechanic. The game is too dependent on progression, with huge gaps between each upgrade (triple grenade damage in one upgrade). As it is you don't feel outskilled, you feel outnumbered.
Crafting is also needlessly convoluted. I prefer to to loot what I need, than loot stuff that recycles into stuff that builds into other stuff in elaborate menus.
In my limited play time there also wasn’t a lot of interplay between the different elements, which is what keeps many roguelikes interesting (“My zapping wand does AOE damage on water so I can kill a swarm of enemies”). It was more straightforward kill enemy with gun or circumnavigate. Maybe this changes once you unlock more weapons, or get to more advanced enemies.
The unique graphics work. It's fun to run around trying to loot as much as possible before the enemies bring me down, or I run out of resources. Void Bastards 2 could be a really good game.

The Messenger – I got to the part the world switches to 16 bit. It’s fine, but I don’t care much for the genre and this game doesn't do anything too innovative gameplay wise to draw me in. I probably wouldn’t have tried it I didn’t get it for free from Epic.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
The Messenger – I got to the part the world switches to 16 bit. It’s fine, but I don’t care much for the genre and this game doesn't do anything too innovative gameplay wise to draw me in. I probably wouldn’t have tried it I didn’t get it for free from Epic.

I love the old Ninja Gaiden games and I love metroidvanias, still never finished this one, just felt too much like a mediocre game overall

BlackGoat

Arbiter
Yeah, I tapped out on The Messenger about half way through. Just bored out of my mind fighting those same turtle enemies, completing the same basic platforming challenges over and over

JDR13

Arcane
Finished Metroid Zero Mission, now into Metroid 2 with color patch ( https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4388/ + https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4579/ )

You should play AM2R. It's vastly superior. - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AM2R

I remember renting Super Metroid from my local Blockbuster video store when it first came out for my Super Nintendo console. Will always remember that lisping game developer using his own voice in the brief digitized exposition. Never was I so unhappy to have to return a game within the 2-3 days rental time limit and leave it uncompleted (for some bizarre reason, it never occurred to me to, um, just rent it again). Still looking for that perfect Metroid experience. Maybe this is it.

Super Metroid was incredible for its time and was one of the best titles ever released on the SNES imo.

It's hard for me to pick a favorite Metroid game, but I really like the Metroid Prime series. If you haven't played those yet, you need to. Use Dolphin emulator for the best experience.

Adon

Arcane
Metroid Fusion is the best if you're looking for some proper challenge in terms of boss fights and smooth gameplay. Super Metroid if you're looking for the freedom of exploration using the design of obtaining abilities to unlock new areas that has become synonymous with Metroid; along with the best atmosphere in the series. Zero Mission for a good mix of all of that.

On the other hand, I could never get into Prime. Game bores me after a while -- took me 3 tries to actually play it from beginning to end.

flyingjohn

Arcane

I gave it 3 hours before uninstalling.

Since you played the game can you tell me is there any point in playing hard mode?
The first boss almost insta kills two of my characters easily compared to normal.That is kinda a red flag in terms of artificial difficulty for me.

JDR13

Arcane
It's subjective, but I think the Metroid Prime games have the best atmosphere. The older titles are still great especially if you're in the mood for a retro experience, but I like that Prime combines similar gameplay with a first-person view. I find it a little more immersive, and I like the additional lore provided by being able to scan things and having an in-game codex.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom