Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Momock

Augur
Maybe you should aswer to posts as a whole instead of cherrypicking parts out of context? :M

Machocruz

Arcane
I actually love horses in real life, but sometimes I see something like The Dark Crystal or a Moebius drawing and I crave for something weirder.

EDIT: The above line is very suggestive, but I'm sticking with it. :bounce:

Visperas

Augur
I want a Sekiro style of blocking for this game. You can tie it to Stamina instead of posture and get rid of OP parries.

Edit: A very divisive subject I see

Last edited:

Machocruz

Arcane
We're past the point where riding a horse in a game is wow.
No we're not. It's shit or shallow in all of the games that does it, when not downright a buggy mess. And mounted combat is shit or inexistent. The only two exceptions that come to my mind are SotC for the feeling of mounting and directing a horse instead of playing directly as it, but you don't sword fight from it, and Mount and Blade but it's another beast, more simulationist and K&M oriented gameplay and battle only, totally diffrerent from a game where you will ride around the world on your horse and fight bosses with a gamepad.

Can't wait to see how From will pull it off (or if they'll succeed).

Didn't mean wow as in good, but as in novel. We're well past horse riding being a new and unique thing in games. And I don't see mounted combat being something that satisfying in practice anyway unless the horse shoots lasers or poop, so I didn't have it in mind. Maybe From will come with a completely new angle to it never seen in games or film, but I highly doubt it. And it will never be as good as on foot combat. What the human body lacks in raw strength and speed compared to the horse, it makes up for in versatility and fine motor movement.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
It's shit or shallow in all of the games that does it, when not downright a buggy mess.
RDR2 says this is wrong. Horses has been done well for years now.

Dan Vavra from Warhose described what an unimaginable pain in the ass it is to create a good riding simulation. Apparently most studios default to purchasing a stock motion capture and riding package created years ago by someone who suffered through it, instead of doing it themselves. Prolly one reason why it all looks kindda meh.

I'm sure tho Rockstar created their own model since most money in the world belong to them.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Endings : you either fix the world for good (the kingdom even loses the ability to use soul arts) or become the demon.
That seems a fairly optimistic interpretation of DeS ending. Considering the amount of swords littering the ground (like the one dropped to open the seal), it seems just as likely (if not more likely) that putting the old one back to sleep is temporary measure that has been done many times before, and will be needed again in the future.

More on topic, yeah I don't know if fromsoft still have good 'fromsoft' games in them. It's been pure downhill on that front since bloodborne/ds imo.

Ds3 and Sekiro aren't bad games, but they also don't feel special to me, more like the sort of thing any studio could have made.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Ds3 and Sekiro aren't bad games, but they also don't feel special to me, more like the sort of thing any studio could have made.

DS3 does feel like it was outsourced to some Chink outfit but Sekiro has quite a few special moments. It may still feel kindda thin tho because it was intentionally less ambitious than previous FS works.

I for one would wait for Elden Ring to pass any judgements about FS.

Machocruz

Arcane
It's simple: we, uh, kill the Miyazaki.

Since he gets the credit for From's rise, he can take it for any downhill slide they are on. I'm sure they have some other people who can head up games. Other ideas besides this "formula" they've settled on. If not, then they don't deserve to thrive maybe.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
It's simple: we, uh, kill the Miyazaki.

Since he gets the credit for From's rise, he can take it for any downhill slide they are on. I'm sure they have some other people who can head up games. Other ideas besides this "formula" they've settled on. If not, then they don't deserve to thrive maybe.
I do think there's something to this. A lot of elements that made demon souls seem to have been very personal things for Miyazaki. Ambiguous story because that's what playing english games as a child was for him. Transient coop because he had an experience with his car and a slippery hill at some point. Probably more examples as well, but the point is that I think from needs some project director who has personal experiences they want to share. They managed to milk three good games out of miyazaki (DeS, DS1 and bb), although arguably that's two, because DS1 is mostly a refined version of DeS.

DS3 does feel like it was outsourced to some Chink outfit but Sekiro has quite a few special moments.
I think all the games have some good moments. The final battle in DS3 is great for example, as is the reveal of frozen Anor Londo...

I for one would wait for Elden Ring to pass any judgements about FS.
Having made 3 good games in around a decade, at least one of which I'd put on a personal top 10 games all time, I'm willing to give them more than Elden Ring to try again. But I'm not going to D1P it on vague hope as I did Sekiro.

Deflowerer

Arcane
Well, From made King's Field (and its related series, Shadow Tower) and Armored Core, both having more than superficial similarities to Souls. Actually I'd dare to say that Souls is a combination of their King's Field and Armored Core, moreso the former for obvious reasons, but the third person combat in particular from the latter. Hell, even the most common and arguably one of the most optimal methods for damage avoidance in AC is to keep boosting around the enemy mech in circles which is like rolling in Souls games.

Old Hans

Arcane
Well, From made King's Field (and its related series, Shadow Tower) and Armored Core, both having more than superficial similarities to Souls. Actually I'd dare to say that Souls is a combination of their King's Field and Armored Core, moreso the former for obvious reasons, but the third person combat in particular from the latter. Hell, even the most common and arguably one of the most optimal methods for damage avoidance in AC is to keep boosting around the enemy mech in circles which is like rolling in Souls games.
Demon souls was very kings field. thats why I like it so much. sadly its lost its kings field charm over the years.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Next Elden Ring news: Taipei Game Show begins next month on February 6th and concludes a few days later on February 9th.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Next Elden Ring news: Taipei Game Show begins next month on February 6th and concludes a few days later on February 9th.
Imo last chance to announce something if it's gonna come out this year.

Afaik FromSoft usually releases games around the end of March, probably something to do with Q1 financial results. If they don't announce the release date soon then it's another year of waiting for us, simple as that.

Deflowerer

Arcane
Q1 for gaming companies is usually the Q4 of their financial year.

Depends on the publishers though. Usually the timing pressure should be from a publicly listed publisher like Activision.

Child of Malkav

Erudite

Afaik FromSoft usually releases games around the end of March, probably something to do with Q1 financial results. If they don't announce the release date soon then it's another year of waiting for us, simple as that.
Yeah there's no way it's coming out in March. None. From what we know so far it's a very large if not the largest project the company is working on. On top of this there hasn't been any gameplay reveals (which there were for previous games), no interviews (Sekiro had a bunch of them months before release), not even an ETA, nothing. My guess is 2021, easily. I'd be shocked if it would come out this year.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

Yeah there's no way it's coming out in March. None. From what we know so far it's a very large if not the largest project the company is working on. On top of this there hasn't been any gameplay reveals (which there were for previous games), no interviews (Sekiro had a bunch of them months before release), not even an ETA, nothing. My guess is 2021, easily. I'd be shocked if it would come out this year.

FromSoftware’s Elden Ring Release Date Possibly Outed for June 2020

it's a rumor

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Playing Elden Ring:

> 1 hour creating your baddass looking male character, picking the best equiped melee class or low level to min-maxing an overpowered hybrid build.
> Enter the tutorial, kill some undeads mounted on your horse, "feels good man."
> Encounter the fat tutorial boss with a big hammer. He kills you in one shot. "Classic souls, nice,hehe"
> Thanks to Rape Rape Martin play the rest of the game as an unsufferable princess with no boob physics and magic locked gameplay.
> Patches tricks you to marry him and Muhyazaki gives him plot armour. No treasure or dragons this time.

LjEuB5qg.jpg

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Seems it may come this spring after all boyiiiiiz :bounce:

https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2020/01/06/sony-taipei-game-show-2020-lineup/

With this year’s Taipei Game Show only one month away, Sony has unveiled its lineup of games. So far, the list includes more than two dozen titles, quite a few of which will be playable. However, a third of the titles that Sony will display are only set to appear in video form. Such games include Elden Ring, Cyberpunk 2077, and The Last of Us Part II. Elden Ring seems the most surprising of the bunch, since FromSoftware has remained silent about the title since its E3 2019 reveal.

The list of games set to appear is subject to change. Sony may remove some titles from the lineup or add in others. For now, though, the company’s Taipei Game Show lineup features all of the following:

• The Last of Us Part II (Video Only)
  • Marvel’s Iron Man VR (Playable Demo and Video)
  • Nioh 2 (Playable Demo and Video)
  • Final Fantasy VII Remake (Playable Demo and Video)
  • Trials of Mana (Playable Demo and Video)
  • Marvel’s Avengers (Playable and Video)
  • Cyberpunk 2077 (Video Only)
  • Resident Evil Resistance (Playable Demo and Video)
  • One Piece: Pirate Warriors 4 (Playable Demo and Video)
  • Sword Art Online Alicization Lycoris (Playable Demo and Video)
  • Tales of Arise (Video Only)
  • Elden Ring (Video Only)
  • Fairy Tail (Playable Demo and Video)
  • Ys IX (Playable Demo and Video)
  • Persona 5 Royal (Playable Demo and Video)
  • 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim (Playable Demo and Video)
  • Granblue Fantasy Versus (Playable Demo and Video)
  • Yakuza: Like a Dragon (Video Only)
  • NBA 2K20 (Playable Demo and Video)
  • Gungrave G.o.r.e. (Video Only)
  • Yo-Kai Watch 4++ (Video Only)
  • Way of the Samurai Gaiden Katanakami (Video Only)
  • Gleamlight (Video Only)

Last edited:

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
If it confirms would be great. Stealthy and swift prestigious release, like in the old times. Everybody experiencing the game fresh on day one.

Compare that to 10 months of Soy cuckish PVPers streaming private beta builds milking bosses ad nauseaum, while everyone is talking every detail of every second of footage published on the forums. Endless youtube video recomendations with spoilerish thumbnails, including Vaati ones.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom