Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dwarf Run

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
The developer is still checking up on this thread every week (no hax, I'm just seeing him on the user list), so any feedback will very likely be read by him while he's working on the prequel.

I'd change very little, at the end I just wished there was more content, lots of fun.

Some way to reduce enemy armor rating would be nice (as spell).

covr

Prophet
Patron
Beat the game, it was great, best turn based experience in years. Steam says 27 hours, I guess I suck at gaming. ZeebaEata thanks for creating this gem, If you are ever in Warsaw - beers are on me.

Last edited:

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Beat the game, it was great, best turn based experience in years. Steam says 27 hours, I guess I suck gaming. ZeebaEata thanks for creating this gem, If you are ever in Warsaw - beers are on me.

How easy to miss such hidden gems as this game.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
Beat the game, it was great, best turn based experience in years. Steam says 27 hours, I guess I suck gaming. ZeebaEata thanks for creating this gem, If you are ever in Warsaw - beers are on me.

How easy to miss such hidden gems as this game.

I don't see how people miss games that are released on steam. Maybe it is because I only play rpgs, but I only rarely miss something, and that is usually due to the poor salesmanship of the devs. For instance, I missed Bastard Bonds because it used the most kiddy hipster non-rpg font imaginable, and honestly, even though I hate to knock indie games with depth, that one wasn't for me. The UI was just too much for me to accept from a new game.

Also, it might help if every time I post a game everyone didn't shit on it without even trying. People's monkey opinion on art and other superficial shit is irrelevant and detrimental with no substance.

I did notice games I post about after they are released seem to be received better.

But what you say is an issue, and one I wanted to address with the subforum for people who actually like rpgs and not the fucking hordes of retarded console savages this site is infested with. I don't have it in me to track things not on steam, or even know about them for the most part. The codex and watch curator groups is just big names mixed with non-rpgs and hipster fodder and idiot bait.

I just want somewhere I can go with people who like crpgs, want to know only about crpgs of any size as long as they are more crpg than anything else, and tries to be a crpg more than anything else. So no news on whatever hipster shit people are shitting themselves over. No games developed primarily for the console with a console UI. No games that have no content. No contentless rogue-likes (but the heavier ones like ToME which are more crpg than rogue-like). No tower defense. No moba. No Darkest Dungeon or any other game that could have been an rpg but decided not to be. Just mainly crpgs - good, bad, and ugly - as long as they aren't lite.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Some info about the prequel that I hadn't noticed before:

Speaking of which : yes, there are three kinds of random encounters planned : freelance caravan defence missions, random encounters while traveling on foot between locations and naval random encounters.

For now, I do not plan to use different skills for different weapons, but think about introducing some weapon-specific perks, with "quarterstaff-fu" among them.

Thanks for the introspective into the RA [random encounter] system of Silent Storm games, I will think about adding something similar, maybe a hired guide that will warn the party.

Yes, there will be map movement system. The world will consist of several isles with several locations on each of them. While traveling, the party will be intercepted. For the first time trips, there will be some "fixed" RAs, and further movement will have some chance for random-generated RAs.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/395420/discussions/0/360670708774789700/

V_K

Arcane
Finally gave it a playthrough yesterday. It was reasonably fun, if way too linear, until the arena, but ugh is that chapter a slog even in casual mode. I ended up just lowering the difficulty and playing all fights in auto mode while I had dinner. Had I known that there'll be only one map left after it, and not a terribly exciting one at that, I wouldn't have bothered.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Finished this just now. It's pretty cool up until the arena, but that freaking arena is such a pointless slog it kind of left a bad taste in my mouth.

JDR13

Arcane
Finished this just now. It's pretty cool up until the arena, but that freaking arena is such a pointless slog it kind of left a bad taste in my mouth.

Yeah, I remember that arena being a nasty difficulty spike. Surprisingly good game overall though, and I think one guy did most of it by himself. I'm still hoping he makes a sequel.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
This is the biggest throw I have ever seen in a video game. Very pleasant first 10 hours, then 1 pleasant hour of the feeling of building up your squad to old power, then 1 hour of pain as I see that the Arena just keeps on going and I am nowhere near getting my god damn gear back, then I quit the game, seeing as this wasn't even close to being half of the length of the Arena. Such a weird game. Pre Arena to Arena is literally the biggest quality drop I have seen in any game ever, including stuff like Xen from Half Life 1 which is notorious for being much worse than anything before it.

Gregz

Arcane
This is the biggest throw I have ever seen in a video game. Very pleasant first 10 hours, then 1 pleasant hour of the feeling of building up your squad to old power, then 1 hour of pain as I see that the Arena just keeps on going and I am nowhere near getting my god damn gear back, then I quit the game, seeing as this wasn't even close to being half of the length of the Arena. Such a weird game. Pre Arena to Arena is literally the biggest quality drop I have seen in any game ever, including stuff like Xen from Half Life 1 which is notorious for being much worse than anything before it.

I disagree.

Yes, the arena is difficult, but everything prior to the arena gives you time to optimize your party.

The Dwarf Run is a good mix of combat, adventure, puzzles, and humor.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
The point isn't that the arena is difficult, but that it's shameless padding. It also stands in stark contrast to the rest of the game which is indeed a good mix of "combat, adventure, puzzles and humour". Meanwhile the arena is nothing but combat all the time, largely against the same things, always in the same place.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron

I disagree.

Yes, the arena is difficult, but everything prior to the arena gives you time to optimize your party.

The Dwarf Run is a good mix of combat, adventure, puzzles, and humor.

The Arena isn't even difficult. I played on max difficulty and it was perfectly on the same curve as the game before. If anything in the game was overly difficult than it was the very beginning when you had not enough con to stand more than two hits. That and the shrunken passage when you kill the optional bugs to the left, there were some nasty beaters there. But that was fun, because it was only 3 super hard battles in a row. Not 50 of medium difficulty.
It is a meaningless dredge and mindnumbingly boring. Its a shame because it starts so good aswell. There is some puzzling and adventuring in your cell in the beginning, as you can fetch the rusty bar with a magnet, and after each combat encounter more items enter your cell. I was convinced that the game was gonna go the route that as soon as enough of those items were given to you you could use them to escape the cell and reclaim your stuff. But no, you are supposed to win more fights there than there are fights in the entire game before.

Gregz

Arcane
It is a meaningless dredge and mindnumbingly boring.

I can see why you think it stalls a bit, but if you want more combat, it's there.

I'm not trying to dismiss anyone, or measure epeens, when I talk about difficulty. If you don't enjoy combat, then yeah, I suppose the arena would be boring. I enjoy combat, thus, I enjoyed the arena.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
It is a meaningless dredge and mindnumbingly boring.

I can see why you think it stalls a bit, but if you want more combat, it's there.

I'm not trying to dismiss anyone, or measure epeens, when I talk about difficulty. If you don't enjoy combat, then yeah, I suppose the arena would be boring. I enjoy combat, thus, I enjoyed the arena.

You enjoy steak? I do. From this moment on, for the next three months of your life you can only eat steak. Always the same cut, no spices. You are not gonna enjoy steak after that I tell you. Variety is the spice of life.
I do trendemously enjoy combat, but the Arena is just shit.

Gregz

Arcane
The edgelords are really out in force today
icon_rolleyes.gif

My only concern is someone is going to read these comments and decide not to play The Dwarf Run, and miss out on a genuinely fun game.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
The edgelords are really out in force today
icon_rolleyes.gif

My only concern is someone is going to read these comments and decide not to play The Dwarf Run, and miss out on a genuinely fun game.

I left a positive Steam review tbh. 10 hours of good game is worth the 3 € it is atm. As long as you make sure to drop the game after.
But you seriously overestimate the amount of people that frequent these threads. You don't need to shill for shit because you want to boost the sales of 5 year old games with sub 100 reviews.

If you don't enjoy combat, then yeah, I suppose the arena would be boring.

Also that earned you the :retarded: . Gross misrepresentation to push a narrative.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I left a positive Steam review after finishing this, and I didn't even trash the arena in that review, but in retrospect that part of the game really dragged on. Way too many fights and they're all mandatory. The issue isn't them being hard, the issue is there being so many of them. It just drags. And there's little variety to it, despite there being vastly different types of opponents to fight. The setup is always the same: your party on one side of the arena and the foes on the other side, now go meet in the middle and duke it out. Previously you would have stuff like ambushes, different environments, etc. The arena is essentially the same battle setup over and over again for A DOZEN times.

The game would be better if the arena was cut down to half the amount of fights.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom