Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

Trashos

Arcane
all chapter starts tied exactly to stages of Ancient Curse (was a bit different in older versions, now timed chapters never start before Bald Hill)

Is this true? In my last playthrough I finished everything before HATEOT and still had 2 Ancient Curses to go. (I am playing without dlc, do not know if this makes a difference)

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Is this true? In my last playthrough I finished everything before HATEOT and still had 2 Ancient Curses to go. (I am playing without dlc, do not know if this makes a difference)
Yes, it is always the same - Ancient Curse 6 marks the end of Pitax chapter (I think game ending Pitax catastrophe timed pretty close to it) and there is another almost year long time skip before Ancient Curse 7. It was timed a bit funny in old versions where you needed to survive 1-2 months long barrage of first world events (like 3 cards every 3 day) before last Bald Hill fight so I experienced it only on my 3rd or 4th run.

Dates were rearranged a bit in new patches but every chapter beside barbarians seemed to spawn exactly 3-4 days before Ancient Curse timer reached 0 in my last run with EE. It is not so glaringly noticeable since curse always activates at 14 days in the journals countdown and timer disappear for a bit after clearing the Hill fight. Well, it visually disappears but around 3 days new chapter starts and and at 0 new "Lets discuss Ancient Curse" card spawns for Ancient Curse +1.

Last edited:

Trashos

Arcane
Daidre, you seem to know a lot about the timers. Is there any insightful writeup anywhere I can read and educate myself?
I am interested in optimizing my time management within the game, but I have not much to base my decisions on. (thus, my most sophisticated time strategy is... get to Relations 6 asap).

Daidre

Arcane
Daidre, you seem to know a lot about the timers. Is there any insightful writeup anywhere I can read and educate myself?
Erm, no that I know of. I keep "Chapter x start/end" saves in my every run before/after curse hits, so I just loaded couple of them right now to check my guess.

I had crazy idea once to make timeline for the whole game, but run out of steam around the Trolls aleady:( Guess I am to lazy for this kind of hard work.
But maybe I would return to it again since it looks like patching circle almost ended.

Delterius

Arcane
I had crazy idea once to make timeline for the whole game, but run out of steam around the Trolls aleady:( Guess I am to lazy for this kind of hard work.
But maybe I would return to it again since it looks like patching circle almost ended.
Sounds like the sort of thing that shared autism can solve. Make it a freely edited doc file among a handful of true believers and soon the Perfect Kingdoms shall be built.

What's the earliest you guys manage to kill the LB lich, on >Hard? Guessing you can do it pretty early with a custom party.

The improvements with the patches are really great.

Depends on how much cheese you can tolerate. I did it at Level 8. If you have a ton of consumables like wands, and pump Jaethal's Use Magical Device skill, you can exploit her undead status to kill the lich. Depending on how successful you are in provoking the lich to suffer area damage from his own spells, it can take a long time.

Parabalus

Arcane
Sounds like the sort of thing that shared autism can solve. Make it a freely edited doc file among a handful of true believers and soon the Perfect Kingdoms shall be built.

Is it really that complicated?

Based on what was posted we'd only need the names of the last beneficial problem per chapter, you can't really delay more than that since the kingdom gets gibbed / not worth it.

Daidre

Arcane
Based on what was posted we'd only need the names of the last beneficial problem per chapter, you can't really delay more than that since the kingdom gets gibbed / not worth it.
My point was: +3 Military for 14-28 days of your General's (later priest, for pre-Pitax chapter cards) time is most often than not a really bad deal. He usually solves 1-3 "normal" cards in the same time with extra rewards, like other stats or BP.
So imho, prolonging chapters beside ~2 Months to see all chapter-unique events is pointless.

Trashos

Arcane
Right, I was not even considering the angle of having more event cards (although this may not be a bad idea early on), my mind was elsewhere. Delaying MQ means I can do rank ups earlier. Each rank up is +1 BP/week (assuming the Treasurer is at least on the same rank), gives bonus to solving problems, may unlock a new advisor, region, artisan or another useful event. I think that such factors are more important than the +3 Military I may get, which can probably be compensated for with other Opportunities.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
What's the earliest you guys manage to kill the LB lich, on >Hard? Guessing you can do it pretty early with a custom party.

The improvements with the patches are really great.

Depends on how much cheese you can tolerate. I did it at Level 8. If you have a ton of consumables like wands, and pump Jaethal's Use Magical Device skill, you can exploit her undead status to kill the lich. Depending on how successful you are in provoking the lich to suffer area damage from his own spells, it can take a long time.

I try to do it "fair".
Therefore level 11-12 for me. Key spells: Vinetrap, Blade Barrier (bring 2 clerics along) plus Create Pitt for the guards.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Erm, no that I know of. I keep "Chapter x start/end" saves in my every run before/after curse hits, so I just loaded couple of them right now to check my guess.

>I had crazy idea once to make timeline for the whole game, but run out of steam.
Likewise. I too am starting to run out of steam on my "guide". I have no idea if I will ever get around to finishing it.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
Vinetrap is breddy cool. While the other day I was watching a twich stream and ... battering blast hmm?

kelkorkesis

Novice
battering blast
It is a solid spell for damage dealing in pnp but I don't know if all resources are availible in this game to make it work. And I don't know if Eldritch Arcana mod works well with it. It works funky with metamagic reducers.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Really cool to push enemies into Pitts. But also nice to sneak attack with for a Trickster.

Parabalus

Arcane
Right, I was not even considering the angle of having more event cards (although this may not be a bad idea early on), my mind was elsewhere. Delaying MQ means I can do rank ups earlier. Each rank up is +1 BP/week (assuming the Treasurer is at least on the same rank), gives bonus to solving problems, may unlock a new advisor, region, artisan or another useful event. I think that such factors are more important than the +3 Military I may get, which can probably be compensated for with other Opportunities.

But does it really matter then, if

since all chapter starts tied exactly to stages of Ancient Curse (was a bit different in older versions, now timed chapters never start before Bald Hill). And stages of Ancient Curse are on the day counter from the Kingdom start Like trolls on day 30, bloom on day 240 for example

is true?

If they changed it to this from the release version might as well rush everything without a worry, ie. if Ch2 is a fixed 210 days it's whatever when you do Troll Trouble (except if you lose).

Daidre

Arcane
To summarize discussion: best time to solve chapter (clean its main dungeon) is around ~2 months since it started with Pitax as an only exception that should be dealt with asap (but takes around 2 months too).

All events in the game are on schedule at fixed dates, any chapter-specific events and new content in general spawns in those 2 first months since chapter start, prolonging it father provides no gains in Kingdom Development. Chapter end timer tied to Ancient Curse +- 3 days, so it is easy to check in the journal.
Waiting for ~3 months is still ok, but at 4-6, when chapters are long enough, some drastic shit hits the Kingdom.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
Level 10, turn-based mod, about 100h in, the game is pretty fun and I'm still hooked. True that I am more hooked with the progression/leveling than the story, but hey, fun is fun. I am pleasantly surprised, gotta say. The guy that made that TB mod deserves the Nobel Prize award, at the very least.

DavidBVal agreed. I am not 100 hours in, but level 10 ish and having a great time. The exploration, dungeons, combat, and importance of skill checks are just fantastic. Worthy successor to the BG saga, and IE games. I am probably 25% through the game, but its wonderful to finally play a game that feels like it did in my youth.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
I just realized my 100h mark probably comes from leaving the game open and minimized sometimes. Probably the real game time is about 60h.

Trashos

Arcane
I have started my first Hard playthrough with a Wizard. Things are very different on Hard, the game is kicking my ass. Not in the sense that I cannot proceed, but now I have to respect all the fights that I didn't before, and there is also a lot of reloading involved, even though I have already done 2 full playthroughs on Challenging.

One interesting thing I have noticed is that on Hard enemies switch target very often (although not always). I am not sure if I just didn't notice before because it was not that important or whether the AI is actually different on Hard. Target switching seems to depend on proximity and AC. Not sure if it is also connected to aggro, but it is definitely connected to the previous 2 factors.

For the above reasons the playthrough is extremely fun, and gameplay-wise it almost feels like I am playing a whole new game. I am rethinking all my tactics (and of course I am getting lots of ideas from Pink Eye 's Unfair walkthrough as well). I may also have to rethink some of my builds eventually.

A lot of INCLINE here, but I have to git gud before I decide whether combat outcomes are too RNG dependent on Hard.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Wait until you get to unfair. Whole different game. Whole different tactics. I can't go back to the other difficulties after experiencing unfair. It's not a matter of posturing, Unfair forces you to be mindful and play tactfully.

>I may also have to rethink some of my builds eventually.
Yeah. While the game supports a plethora of different classes. The diversity of what you can play decreases as you increase the difficulty. However that's part of the fun. Figuring out what works, and what doesn't.

Also cheers mate! I'm glad you're loving the game. I can't wait until you start playing Unfair :)

Trashos

Arcane
Pink Eye, I will definitely play Unfair at some point (although not before I have finished the game a couple of times on Hard), but I will probably not stick to it. At the end of the day, what I am personally interested in is figuring out the highest difficulty that supports ironman playthroughs and having that as my go-to difficulty. I am currently unsure whether even Hard supports the ironman style, I have to git gud before I can know this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom