Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus Jesus Christ! Nintendo DS works extremely well on Kindle Fire!

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Okay, so my friend bought me a Kindle for Christmas out of pity and I soon discovered it can run most apps from the Google Play store. After finding a rather excellent DS emulator, I'm now stuck with the dilemma of choosing which games to download.

After 30 seconds of research, I've found there to be 107 RPGs on the DS....

I only have a few gigabytes to spare, so what are the best of the best and the hidden gems? Half RPGs are more than welcome.

THANK YOU FRIENDS

ebPD8PePfC

Savant

Jinn

Arcane
Radiant Historia
Shin Megami Tensei - Strange Journey
Rune Factory (for some addictive Farm Sim/Dungeon Crawling ARPG action, if you're into that)

Over a hundred hours of quality gameplay right there.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
All the DS versions of the Etrian Odyssey series are worth a play, as well as the aforementioned Dark Spire. For a more left-field suggestion, I really enjoyed playing through Infinite space on my phone. It kept me entertained right to the end. SMT Devil Survivor as well, enjoyed that as well as Strange Journey.

You really have got so many choices, DraStic was the best thing I ever bought for my phone.

Vorark

Erudite
Everybody is going to suggest great RPGs, so I will do the nice thing and tell you to play the Phoenix Wright series, and also Hotel Dusk.

Followed by Ghost Trick and Trace Memory/Another Code.

Oh, another cool little game is Knights in the Nightmare.

Ialda

Learned
Tengai Makyo 2 Manjimaru got a light remaster on DS, with touch controls as an alternate control system during battles thrown in as a bonus. It's a good way to discover that classic.

Solatorobo has its share of minor flaws (simple and small zones, mainly - probably because there wasn't much budget) but it's a great, light-hearted and fun RPG that do that classic japanese adventure feeling very well - if you like Grandia 1, Laputa or The Secret of Blue Water, it's a sweet game to play.
I can't stand the Draque remakes that started on that platform, it was the starting point of :decline: for the franchise.

And the Phoenix Wright (first trilogy) and Ghost Trick games are indeed masterpieces.

Oh, another cool little game is Knights in the Nightmare.

Still the best game of chess / shoot-em up / RPG hybrid ever, highly excentric (and frustrating if you like to 100% your games) but I love it to pieces.

Last edited:

Jason Liang

Arcane
I played DS mostly for the Yugioh games. The best are WC2008 and WC2010: Reverse of Arcadia. Nightmare Troubadour is also cool for the very old school card set.

Alex

Arcane
Okay, so my friend bought me a Kindle for Christmas out of pity and I soon discovered it can run most apps from the Google Play store. After finding a rather excellent DS emulator, I'm now stuck with the dilemma of choosing which games to download.

After 30 seconds of research, I've found there to be 107 RPGs on the DS....

(snip...)
Everybody is going to suggest great RPGs(snip...)

:lol:

Vorark

Erudite
I played DS mostly for the Yugioh games. The best are WC2008 and WC2010: Reverse of Arcadia. Nightmare Troubadour is also cool for the very old school card set.

Once in a while I still boot up "Stairway to the Destined Duel" (GBA), great game with all the old rules and cards.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Okay, I've noticed a few things...

The DS was released 3 years before modern smart phones and in many ways paved the way for the use of a touch screen in gaming.

The worst problems with the DS were mechanical in nature. Small screens, needing 3 hands to play, and acquiring carpal tunnel syndrome were major criticisms.

Rightly so.

However, all of these problems disappear with an emulator on a tablet. Bigger screens erase the need for 3 hands and a stylus. Almost everything is better.

Of course this mostly applies to RPGs and Adventures and the like since touch controls will always be a bit clumsy in a pure action game.

A lot of these games seem to be the best of all time with a tablet, though. Atlus, for instance, must go down as the greatest RPG publisher ever, and the DS was even better for them than PS2.

So, DS has great classic JRPGs, Strategy or Tactical RPGs, Blobbers, Side Scrolling Action Rpgs, Monster collection Rpgs, Life Sim Rpgs, and Hack n Slash Rpgs.

Fucking amazing, and the best part is the emulator version on a cheap mobile device is actually far superior to using the original hardware.

Yes, the kindle fire turned the Nintendo DS into the best RPG console yet to be made, and probably the best of all time.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
So, I've played 30 games for about half an hour to narrow down my choices.

Trying to decide between Castlevania: DoS and DQ 5.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Okay, I finished DQ5, now playing Phantasy Star Zero. So far it sucks, but I'm going to see it through.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Still feel bad about not taking Bianca as my waifu. She was super nice about it though

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
"The one thing about a Kindle Fire you absolutely HAVE to know. Nintendo won't want you to do it, but they can't stop you!"

Mind you, they're fucking trying to.
:x

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
What emulator? I might want to try it on my fire tablet.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom