Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Best RPGs from the crowdfunding era

Your three favorite crowdfunded games.

• Wasteland 2

• Torment: Tides of Numenera

• The Bard's Tale IV: Barrows Deep

• Pathfinder: Kingmaker

• Divinity: Original Sin

• Divinity: Original Sin 2

• Pillars of Eternity

• Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

• Expeditions: Conquistador

• Expeditions: Viking

• Shadowrun Returns

• Shadowrun: Dragonfall

• Shadowrun: Hong Kong

• The Banner Saga

• The Banner Saga 2

• The Banner Saga 3

• Kingdom Come: Deliverance

• ATOM RPG

• Darkest Dungeon

• Grim Dawn

• Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption

• Hard West

• Indivisible

• Lords of Xulima

• Insomnia: The Ark

• Serpent in the Staglands

• Unrest

• Legends of Eisenwald

• Queen's Wish: The Conqueror

• Dex

• Dead State

• Paper Sorcerer

• Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar

• Underworld Ascendant (KC)

• Other

• Quest for Infamy

• Mage's Initiation: Reign of the Elements

• Star Traders: Frontiers

Results are only viewable after voting.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I'm surprised Wasteland 2 got as many votes as it did.

Well, WL2 DC is quite alright, specially if you compare it to whatever was released since then.

On the other hand, i'm surprised Dragonfall (or any game from the Shadowrun trilogy) has any vote at all.
Every good bit from that game exclusively comes from the rulebook and scenarios.
Everything they came up with is horrible, it plays like mobile garbage, it's linear, spells effects are the worst i've ever seen (and i think KotC one are good, for example) and the combat is just decent.

They succeeded in dumbing down the unique Shadowrun's character creation system and to turn that series into a mix of mobile garbage and clunky jrpg.

And yet 43 codexers think it makes it a success ... I'm speechless.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Can't say which is actually "best" as all are flawed in their own ways, but from the ones I played the most fun I had with WL2, SH:DF and DOS.

Will Zurmacht

Educated
Items at the top of a list have a built-in advantage. Political parties compete to get their candidates listed first, since that leads to a nontrivial statistical edge for those candidates. Voter-drones are comically easy to manipulate.

Anyway of the ones I played, Wasteland, the Shadowruns, the Pillarses, and Dex were fun enough. Xulima is an autism simulator and ATOM has too much forced cringe "humor."

Edit: Good on whoever voted for Dead State. I missed that in the list; game is a blast.

Last edited:

Atchodas

Augur
Hmmm i played only the release version and don't want to have anything to do with wasteland any more. How different it wasteland 2 dc??? What makes it even passable?

Well compared to release version you literally can pass the game and thats huge improvement over release version where your game would get bugged after 70% of it without any chance to continue

Trashos

Arcane
WL2 DC is a good enough game. The AI is braindead, but it will still give you fun.

However, if you are white, you are probably going to have a stroke when the main villain's right hand is described towards the end.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
wasteland 2. the story presentation, world building, and xcom inspired combat is great.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
So far our top 10 would be this:

1. Pathfinder: Kingmaker 73 vote(s)
  2. Shadowrun: Dragonfall 50 vote(s)
  3. Kingdom Come: Deliverance 35 vote(s)
  4. ATOM RPG 31 vote(s)
  5. Divinity: Original Sin 31 vote(s)
  6. Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar 22 vote(s)
  7. Wasteland 2 22 vote(s)
  8. Divinity: Original Sin 2 18 vote(s)
  9. Pillars of Eternity 17 vote(s)
  10. Expeditions: Conquistador 13 vote(s)

Huh. Wasteland 2 above Pillars of Eternity, I wasn't expecting that.
It saddens me that Expeditions didn't score that well. Also i am surprised at how many good to decent games came out from the kickstarter era,fuck most of those on the list are downright good.

barghwata

Savant

Will Zurmacht

Educated
So far our top 10 would be this:

1. Pathfinder: Kingmaker 73 vote(s)
  2. Shadowrun: Dragonfall 50 vote(s)
  3. Kingdom Come: Deliverance 35 vote(s)
  4. ATOM RPG 31 vote(s)
  5. Divinity: Original Sin 31 vote(s)
  6. Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar 22 vote(s)
  7. Wasteland 2 22 vote(s)
  8. Divinity: Original Sin 2 18 vote(s)
  9. Pillars of Eternity 17 vote(s)
  10. Expeditions: Conquistador 13 vote(s)
The "true" Kickstarter games where the Kickstarter is the entire game budget extremely few come off except 2d sidescrolling allsorts (cue "is Undertale a good RPG")

Love it or hate it, RPGs are a genre that depends on production values because choices and consequences and good writing cost moneh.

We've established that many of the top names on the list were kickstarted but are not actually "kickstarter games" in the sense that most of their funding came from outside that medium. I'm not an expert on historical dev budget percentages, but is it then fair to say that Kingmaker, Dragonfall, KCD, Divinity and others listed basically just muddy up the picture of "what is the best RPG that was made mostly from kickstarter funds?" So out of that top 10 list, actually ATOM, Grimoire, Pillows(?) are the actual relevant top choices?

I just looked at the ATOM kickstarter and it says they raised 35k. WTF? I realize that's probably 10 billion rublebux but still how the heck is that viable?

Darth Canoli

Arcane
We've established that many of the top names on the list were kickstarted but are not actually "kickstarter games" in the sense that most of their funding came from outside that medium.

So let's remove them from the list!

I'm fine with this one :
  1. ATOM RPG
  2. Grimoire
  3. Quest For Infamy
  4. Everything else ...

EldarEldrad

Savant
1. Dragonfall, for obvious reasons.
2. Grimoire, for unstoppable incline.
3. Darkest Dungeon. It isn't pure CRPG, but I like it because it reminds me first Wizardries somehow.

V_K

Arcane
The worst thing about that storyfaggotry pandemic that has taken over the Codex this year is that I can't tell now whether Dragonfall scoring well above both Pillars and DOS is history putting things into their rightful places, or VN fanboys voting for the most storyfaggy one.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The worst thing about that storyfaggotry pandemic that has taken over the Codex this year is that I can't tell now whether Dragonfall scoring well above both Pillars and DOS is history putting things into their rightful places, or VN fanboys voting for the most storyfaggy one.
Nah,it just people with good taste voting for the good games,now begone satanic combatfag!

Atchodas

Augur
Nah,it just people with good taste voting for the good games,now begone satanic combatfag!

Storyfags and good taste doesn't make sense in one sentence since games writing is at very amateur level, I mean all you have to do to realise it is to read a good book for once in your life.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Storyfags and good taste doesn't make sense in one sentence since games writing is at very amateur level, I mean all you have to do to realise it is to read a good book for once in your life.
Nah,books are only good for making a nicer pyre for combatfags like you. Codexian outcast like you combatfag,should be eradicated!!! Deus lo Vult!

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
Both storyfags and combatfags are imbeciles who should stop ruining this genre. And those who believe that the only alternative to combatfagottry is a storyfag game without gameplay, and vice versa, should be banned.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
There seems to have been a bit of a demographic change. In the 2014 GOTY vote, D:OS won and Dragonfall was at second place. Now Dragonfall has more votes than both D:OS games combined.

Tigranes

Arcane
Dragonfall scoring so high never fails to surprise me. It's a decent RPG that does everything decently and nothing particularly well.

But perhaps that's why. Everyone's played Dragonfall, and everyone's reasonably fond of it.

If we think about Kickstarter as 'games that would not otherwise have been made', though, Dragonfall did nothing for us on that point.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Both storyfags and combatfags are imbeciles who should stop ruining this genre. And those who believe that the only alternative to combatfagottry is a storyfag game without gameplay, and vice versa, should be banned.
Fuck off cunt,go sip your warm milk and leave us to our tribal banter .!.

Deadyawn

Learned
kingmaker: Minus the release bugs, a very solid rpg all around.

Atom RPG: A fallout clone, and I mean that in the most flattering way possible.

Conquistador: I really dig the mix of turn-based combat, CYOA and resource management. Really underutilized setting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom