Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I disagree. The Flaws are pretty crippling, at least skillcheck wise.
Due to lowered stats, they will for example disable natural regeneration, encumber you and make you fail many skillchecks.
Admittedly they won't really stop you from shooting enemies dead.
Note they also have a passive, always-on malus.
Avoid most of them like the plague. Some are pretty harmless though.

Parabalus

Arcane
I disagree. The Flaws are pretty crippling, at least skillcheck wise. They won't really stop you from shooting enemies dead.
But due to lowered stats, they will for example disable natural regeneration, encumber you and make you fail many skillchecks.

Why would you need natural regeneration?

I had it disabled from the start due to 1 in the attribute and didn't miss it, you get the +HP perk on kill soon enough.

Most of the flaws I got are +25% from damage type, which is unnoticeable.

Did you get any which decrease skills directly or? The attribute decrease effect on skill checks is minor.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I was fighting for my life against a group of giant, acid-spewing lizards on the outskirts of Edgewater. I wasn't far from my ship and had already dealt with dozens of other Raptidons while spending time in this cannery colony.

Conflating Edgewater with Roseway?

The flaw system wasn't originally designed to have to pay out perk points if a player accepted negative attributes. Cain and co-director Leonard Boyarsky told me they wanted to have specialized perks for each flaw that you couldn't obtain any other way.

Evidence for my theory that Flaws are essentially Fallout-style Traits that you get mid-game.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
I disagree. The Flaws are pretty crippling, at least skillcheck wise. They won't really stop you from shooting enemies dead.
But due to lowered stats, they will for example disable natural regeneration, encumber you and make you fail many skillchecks.

Why would you need natural regeneration?

I had it disabled from the start due to 1 in the attribute and didn't miss it, you get the +HP perk on kill soon enough.

Most of the flaws I got are +25% from damage type, which is unnoticeable.

Did you get any which decrease skills directly or? The attribute decrease effect on skill checks is minor.

Regen is convenient, that's all. I did finish the game with 170+ stimpacks. I mean adrenos.

And yeah, I picked those +25% damage type flaws whenever available.

The skill decrease comes from lowered attributes. Might not seem like much, but when I have 50 base skill, it lead me to fail some checks... before reloading prior to accepting the Flaw.

orcinator

Liturgist
The skill decrease comes from lowered attributes. Might not seem like much, but when I have 50 base skill, it lead me to fail some checks... before reloading prior to accepting the Flaw.

I don't know why you would ever accept any of the flaws that aren't temporary, it's clearly not worth it given how most of the perks are shit.

Like wow, Unable to Dodge, -30% Movement Speed in exchange for +5 Base Armor Rating or -50% Consumable Weight

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane

I don't know why you would ever accept any of the flaws that aren't temporary, it's clearly not worth it given how most of the perks are shit.

Like wow, Unable to Dodge, -30% Movement Speed in exchange for +5 Base Armor Rating or -50% Consumable Weight

It gets you to higher tier of perks faster and you can nullify -speed with +speed perk, for example.

LudensCogitet

Learned

It gets you to higher tier of perks faster and you can nullify -speed with +speed perk, for example.
It would have been legitimately cool if any of this had ever mattered in the slightest during my playthrough.

I'm scratching my head here wondering if we played a different game. I took every flaw, picked perks almost at random. Combat was a cake walk on hard.

Edit: I also didn't have health regen the whole game because of stat choice at character creation. Hard to imagine the game would have been easier than it was.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I disagree. The Flaws are pretty crippling, at least skillcheck wise.
Due to lowered stats, they will for example disable natural regeneration, encumber you and make you fail many skillchecks.
Admittedly they won't really stop you from shooting enemies dead.

The problem is there's no point taking any flaws because the perks are mostly minor and boring.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Well, getting to higher perk tiers earlier is worth SOMETHING. But most of the flaws are not worth it. Like Parabalus and myself already admitted, I tend to only pick those 25% increased damage taken from damage source X.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
my66Tno.png

:kingcomrade:

Last edited by a moderator:

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Accept ALL the consumable flaws, cuz they are free perks. Only alcohol addiction can be somewhat annoying cuz of the hangovers. But food 'addiction'...lmao.

Acrophobia is basically just a free perk as well, and you can 'farm' it by jumping off cliffs

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Maybe don't play on hard (easy) you fuckin noob

You obviously can't get as many flaws as I mentioned in anything under supernova

Parabalus

Arcane
Well, getting to higher perk tiers earlier is worth SOMETHING. But most of the flaws are not worth it. Like Parabalus and myself already admitted, I tend to only pick those 25% increased damage taken from damage source X.

I also took Herpetophobia and Robophobia, because I had 1 in DEX and TEMP from chargen.

But mostly because -1 attribute is hard to notice, if you headshot stuff it'll die with massive overkill regardless.

Sawyerism strikes again!

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
TOW sales at EGS. I know that gloating is bad but it still made my Friday so much better.

playtracker_graph_egs_excl.png

Source

I wonder was it release at Xbox Game Pass that fucked up sales so hard?

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
"Estimates" so eh, but still funny. Damn, all those (semi)indies that had some potential and went there must've gone straight into the ground, without making as much as a squeak. I hope the devs did not spend all the epic pocket money on drugs, they gonna need it in the future to avoid prestigious root diet.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Wait, there's a chance this game could fail commercially? Or is that only to gloat the Epic store is shit?

IMHO, sales are horrible on PC, but shitton of people played it through Gamepass both on PC and Xbox. Probably sold nicely on PS4, since it is the main console on American market and buying a copy was an only option there.

At this point point Microsoft prefers to count game-pass players almost like a sales (similar to Gears 5) and proudly talks about numbers but... looking at history of F2P games and rabid completion for subscribe money it seems like a total BS for investors.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Shocked BL3 managed to get 10% of BL2's numbers.

Borderlands 2's 20+ million copies is after 7 years of deep sales. Do we have any idea what their 6 months after launch numbers were?

Not sure how much to trust estimates anyway though really. And yeah, Outer Worlds is impacted by Game Pass, which is the depressing future.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom