Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Now that the dust has settled, can we admit that Disco Elysium is decline?

Theldaran

Liturgist
BTW, what is a ZA/UM?

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Browse the Fallout subreddit some time. People think the stories of FO3 and FO4 are heavy-hitting and emotional because they invoke a family member. It's that superficial.

Poseidon00

Arcane
Fallout 4 could have had a good story, it had potential. but the Minutemen and the Institute and basically every faction were boring and ghey.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Fallout 4 could have had a good story, it had potential. but the Minutemen and the Institute and basically every faction were boring and ghey.
Fallout 4's story is basically broken on every level. I don't think you can actually fix it short of scrapping the entire thing.

Poseidon00

Arcane
Fallout 4's story is basically broken on every level. I don't think you can actually fix it short of scrapping the entire thing.

Pretty much. By potential I meant "keep Nate, Nora, and Shawn and scrap virtually everything else"

It would be a refreshing change of pace to play a protagonist with an actual family that mattered, rather than the standard fare "orphan or family unknown".

Fallout 1 made me care about the world because I had the vault dwellers rooting for me.

Trashos

Arcane
I am not going to sit through a 2h vid on FO3, but are you sure that the writing is one of the reasons why they like it? Bethesda writers cannot even handle punctuation, as far as I have seen.

barghwata

Savant
I am not going to sit through a 2h vid on FO3, but are you sure that the writing is one of the reasons why they like it? Bethesda writers cannot even handle punctuation, as far as I have seen.

I am not saying people think Fallout 3 has excellent writing or something, even in the video i sent you the guy admits the writing has problems and that the ending is a mess, but they still defend the writing and consider it to be good enough and as butter said many people make the argument that it's more hard-hitting and emotional then FNV because your family is important in the story or whatever.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Video Game Influencer and Content Creator Relations
With a global video game influencer relations contact book over 1,500 channels strong (and growing daily) Dead Good PR is uniquely positioned to help content creator campaigns of all shapes and sizes.

Whether it’s long-lead planning and organising, or last-minute, same-day activation of code distribution and coverage reporting, Dead Good PR is equipped to handle all size of influencer-centric campaigns.

Beyond our regular gaming contacts, Dead Good PR also extensively researches all relevant channels for each and every campaign.

Dead Good dedicated Influencer and Content Creator team focuses on delivering three core pillars for our clients:

1. To identify major channels and organically place coverage typically available only for sponsorship through influencer agents.

2. To seek out and support the smaller ‘micro-influencers’, ignored by many agencies and PR teams, who speak directly to a core audience and collectively increase mindshare.

3. Where dedicated budget is available, to smartly target and negotiate sponsorships that give clients added-value coverage pushes.

well, well, well....

ahh here comes the stream of brainwashed buckaroos to shout "conspiracy theory!" instead of acknowledging the proven existence of shills.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
With a global video game influencer relations contact book over 1,500 channels strong (and growing daily) Dead Good PR is uniquely positioned to help content creator campaigns of all shapes and sizes.

Whether it’s long-lead planning and organising, or last-minute, same-day activation of code distribution and coverage reporting, Dead Good PR is equipped to handle all size of influencer-centric campaigns.

Beyond our regular gaming contacts, Dead Good PR also extensively researches all relevant channels for each and every campaign.

Dead Good dedicated Influencer and Content Creator team focuses on delivering three core pillars for our clients:

1. To identify major channels and organically place coverage typically available only for sponsorship through influencer agents.

2. To seek out and support the smaller ‘micro-influencers’, ignored by many agencies and PR teams, who speak directly to a core audience and collectively increase mindshare.

3. Where dedicated budget is available, to smartly target and negotiate sponsorships that give clients added-value coverage pushes.

well, well, well....

ahh here comes the stream of brainwashed buckaroos to shout "conspiracy theory!" instead of acknowledging the proven existence of shills.

Welcome to the world of marketing. Truly gommunist thing.

Tigranes

Arcane

well, well, well....

roflmao

of course shills exist, they are literally IGN and youtube reviewers & streamers with large subscriptions

not random forum posters that disagree with jenkem

ValeVelKal

Arcane
Iseeing as how many people consider Fallout 3's writing to be good

Er... fake news, surely?

Here's an example of a 2 hour video that got 5M views of a guy explaining why Fallout 3 is the best Fallout and people seem to like it and agree.

I watched 18 minutes so far and it is very well argued, and he genuinely answers some of the critiques brought to Fallout 3 about for instance Megaton ("why would people gather around a bomb", though honestly I am not too convinced by his point here, and "why would you blow up the bomb for that random dude", and on this one I think he has a strong point). He also explains why he thinks the opening "in the vault" is very stronger and stronger than the opening of the other Fallout, which is fairly convincing (not that the opening of Fallout and especially Fallout 2 was reputed to be good).

He is more talking on quest design and "wasteland design" , which he claims excellent, than on writing itself, on which he does not comment.

I will listen to the whole stuff while doing my sport.

barghwata

Savant

Er... fake news, surely?

Here's an example of a 2 hour video that got 5M views of a guy explaining why Fallout 3 is the best Fallout and people seem to like it and agree.

I watched 18 minutes so far and it is very well argued, and he genuinely answers some of the critiques brought to Fallout 3 about for instance Megaton ("why would people gather around a bomb", though honestly I am not too convinced by his point here, and "why would you blow up the bomb for that random dude", and on this one I think he has a strong point). He also explains why he thinks the opening "in the vault" is very stronger and stronger than the opening of the other Fallout, which is fairly convincing (not that the opening of Fallout and especially Fallout 2 was reputed to be good).

He is more talking on quest design and "wasteland design" , which he claims excellent, than on writing itself, on which he does not comment.

I will listen to the whole stuff while doing my sport.

From my memory the video isn't all that terrible otherwise i wouldn't have watched it through, but the strongest point he has in his entire video is that FO3 is more visually interesting then FNV and other Fallouts and even this point is meh. He does evetually get into defending quest design and writing and then starts drawing comparisons between FO3 and the original Fallouts and that's where the video just completely faceplants, he skimms through MAJOR writing and worldbuilding problems and fails to address how lazy the quest design truly was in comparison to other Fallouts.

His arguments for why people in megaton decided to build a village around a potentially active nuclear bomb are really weak btw, as for the quest where you blow up megaton, the real issue with that quest isn't even the lack of motivation to do it but the fact that this complete idiot just walks up to you .... a complete stranger who he has no reason to trust..... and asks you "hey i am planning to blow up the village, do you wanna nuke the village with me?" and then you can immediatley rat him out and kill him, it's just so stupid, as is most of the writing in FO3.

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
hahahahahahaha oh wow

this time tomorrow: jenkem learns that 'microtargeting' is a thing and thinks it means codex posts morph into different content when jenkem is reading

barghwata

Savant
roflmao

of course shills exist, they are literally IGN and youtube reviewers & streamers with large subscriptions

not random forum posters that disagree with jenkem

ahh yes, IGN, youtubers and streamers certainly fit the description of "smaller 'micro-influencers'" [fluenters]

If you had at least bothered to search what the word means, you would have known that the term "micro-influencer" refers to an individual that is considered an expert in a certain field or niche who has a following ranging from a thousand to ten thousand audience members, not random retarded forum posters like yourself. So yes youtube reviewers and streamers is exactly who they mean when they say "micro-influencers", IGN doesn't fit the definition though.

Last edited:

Beastro

Arcane
Jennifer Hepler says she'd like a fast forward button for combat so that she could play RPGs for dialogs only.
Codex:
:mob:

Estonian edgelords make an RPG that consists of nothing but dialogs.
Codex:
:hype:

I wouldn't complain if a puzzle game had no combat, that's because it's not the point of such a game. I would though if it was a tacked on addition without a fuck given. If you're going to neuter combat then don't bother implementing it in the first place.

I honestly don't have an opinion on DE, but I can commend that it was honest in its intentions straight away with not including combat. More developers should just bite the bullet and do the no combat game thing rather than pussy foot and ruin combat games for everyone. At the very least it would make it clearer for people to know what they would want to play or not rather than the roulette wheel we spin too often.

Falksi

Arcane

Er... fake news, surely?

The man talks sense.

I never get the hate for FO3 as an individual game. I get the hate in regards the decline, but as a game itself it's a fine, once-through experience. Lacks the choice & variation required to make it worth replaying, but I found it a good, solid 7/10 experience.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
combat.jpg
but I can commend that it was honest in its intentions straight away with not including combat.

There WAS a "complex rich combat" mentioned in the game pitch, included in the artbook, though.

"blood-pumping, toe-curling, skull-crushing combat"

Theldaran

Liturgist
"Micro-influencer" sounds like "micro-sexism" (is that an actual word in English?). Are those micropenis influencers in the clear? Do they have their proper Party ID card?

EDIT: I translated "micro-sexism" from Spanish and dang right, it exists.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
You can laugh at marketing shit, but Disco sold 200 000 with it in 2 months and Pathologic 2 without it sold 50 000 in a year (and will hardly sell more).

Request memes with Nick Dybowsky-Virgin and Robert Kurvitz-Chad.

:negative::negative::mixedemotions:

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom