Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Finally finished Black Mesa. Crowbar Collective did a brilliant job on this despite the issues I had with the final Xen chapter mentioned in an earlier post, which might have been a problem with the original game design by Valve and not CC's fault. All in all, I would have to rate this as one of the very best fan projects ever done for PC gaming, very much worthy of an updated and enhanced paid release on Steam. You'll get your money's worth for sure if you liked Half-Life.

JDR13

Arcane
Finally finished Black Mesa. Crowbar Collective did a brilliant job on this despite the issues I had with the final Xen chapter mentioned in an earlier post, which might have been a problem with the original game design by Valve and not CC's fault. All in all, I would have to rate this as one of the very best fan projects ever done for PC gaming, very much worthy of an updated and enhanced paid release on Steam. You'll get your money's worth for sure if you liked Half-Life.

I played through Black Mesa a few years ago and really enjoyed it. I plan on playing it again as soon as it's out of early access.

Btw: Does anyone know why it's still in early access? I figured it would be considered finished once Xen was completed.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Finished Metroid 2 and moved on to Super Metroid

ENjOXOAW4AAWVLM

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Since you played the game can you tell me is there any point in playing hard mode?
The first boss almost insta kills two of my characters easily compared to normal.That is kinda a red flag in terms of artificial difficulty for me.
The game is all about wasting your time. It wants you to grind. Artificial difficulty is a perfect description. I got this in a bundle, and I wanted to see if everything I thought about Kemco was true and it was. They develop mobile rpgs/games and have been porting them to PC. A piece of friendly advice: Do yourself a favor and uninstall the game now.

JDR13

Arcane
Da fuck? You doing speed runs or something?

Nope, Metroid 2 is pretty short, I finished in 3:50 or so and I played the game before. Also, still on vacation

Nice. Talking about it made me want to play, so I downloaded the latest version of AM2R. Might do a run in my spare time.

I'm currently playing Jedi: Fallen Order. Anyone who likes metroidvanias should check it out. It's like someone threw Metroid, Tomb Raider, and Star Wars into a blender. It's a lot better than I was expecting.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
My Assassin, Barbarian and Sorceress didn't have much problem getting past the Hell Ancients in Diablo 2, while my Amazon had some small problems. My Paladin (Zeal+Fanaticisn) OTOH has major problems, main one being too low damage output (still stuck with the same weapon that killed Baal on Normal), and too low damage reduction. Looks like he will have to grind and/or rely on hand-me-downs from my other characters.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
My Assassin, Barbarian and Sorceress didn't have much problem getting past the Hell Ancients in Diablo 2, while my Amazon had some small problems. My Paladin (Zeal+Fanaticisn) OTOH has major problems, main one being too low damage output (still stuck with the same weapon that killed Baal on Normal), and too low damage reduction. Looks like he will have to grind and/or rely on hand-me-downs from my other characters.

I didn't know you were into Diablo 2. Have you read my posts on it?

Now, another addictive game, and one I'm playing now, is Warband. I'm playing the Brytenwalda mod which you can read about here. I have invested about 50 real hours. I need to stop, but I can't. Just so much fun.

octavius

Arcane
Patron

I didn't know you were into Diablo 2. Have you read my posts on it?

Yes, some of them were interesting, others rather too extreme for my taste.

I see many Diablo 2 player totally specialize their characters, like your Bowazon. I prefer to make them more versatile, like putting one point in Jab and Fend. My Bowazon who completed Hell killed most of the bosses with only one point in Jab (with some skill points from items).

Anyway I try to play as "untwinked" (my characters drop items they don't need in the shared storage, though, since it's so bloody annoying to find the best items with the wrong characters) and with as little grinding/farming as possible.
It's definitely possible with 1.09, but I understand later patches make NM and Hell monster tougher. OTOH you can do much more with the Cube in 1.10+ and get more Uniques (not many Elite Uniques in 1.09).

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Finished Unwritten Tales 2 finally over the holidays after six months of playing it on and off.

It's a long, long adventure game and provided many very enjoyable Sunday afternoons while I worked through it. As the game progressed the scenarios did start to feel anemic however, like they received less polish. It never descended to the level of Broken Sword 5 - Part 2 in terms of feeling completely unfinished though. The last scenario has you playing a butler which you would think would have all manner of possibilities but it felt like the developers just wanted to stop working on the game at that point.

The ending was garbage. They were going for an Empires Strikes Back type setup but it felt half hearted but ultimately I was glad they just decided to stop instead of letting the quality of the gameplay drop even more.

Overall a very excellent game start to finish, I wonder if they will ever make a third one.

Okagron

Prophet
Finished Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom with 100% in around 22 hours and had a fantastic time. Level design is pretty great (even though there are a few instances that it can be somewhat frustrating), the hand drawn graphics are gorgeous, music is phenomenal, bosses are pretty fun and some can be quite difficult, the controls are responsive and tight, and the monster transformations lead to a lot of clever puzzles and platform challenges. Only thing i wish the game had is a hard mode or a new game plus.

This and Hollow Knight are the two Metroidvanias i had the most fun in recent memory.

Last edited:

Dux

Arcane
Just starting playing ELEX and I'm already having Risen 3 PTSD flashbacks. I really hoped this would be different, that Piranha Bytes would learn and stop being stubborn idiots.

But nope, it's the same shit as always. There's little doubt that as I continue to play I'll immerse myself more in the world like with the original Risen but with the ugly consolised interface and the combat which makes Witcher 2's look inspired - it's going to be rough. Don't forget the customary cardboard cutout protagonist. Gotta have those.

I've already had one situation which I really hope won't set the tone for the rest of the game:

I take an elevator down to ground level and as I step out my character says that either the Berserkers or the Albs will try to kill me if they see me. I'm in Berserker territory. I see someone squatting down in front of me, back turned against me. I begin to sneak, pull out my bow and train a shot against the back of his head. I fire. The arrow whizzes through him. I chalk that up to Piranha Bytes' patented crippled targeting mechanics and shoot again - this time square in the back. Arrow goes right through. That's when I realise that this is one of those "essential" NPCs.

So I lower my bow in disgust and approach the guy. A cutscene begins to play where my character actually tries to sneak up on the dude to kill him. My character fails miserably like an absolute retard and gets punched in the face. Then I spend the next five minutes listening to the benign, altruistic stranger (who apparently DOESN'T want me dead) as he explains the most obvious shit imaginable: being part of a faction is good, weapons are useful and that if you act mean people will dislike you.

:prosper:

That's one of the things I appreciated about the old Gothic games. They plopped you down in a hostile world and basically said "fuck you, figure it out". That's pretty neat. Meh, guess I'll soldier on and try to concentrate on the positives but I can already tell I'm going ranged/magic again - just like every other modern Piranha Bytes game. FUCK that melee combat. Seriously.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
That's one of the things I appreciated about the old Gothic games.

Diego tells you the exact same things as Duras at the very start of the game - being part of a faction is good, weapons are useful and if you act mean people will dislike you.

You're also welcome to try to kill Diego at any point in the game and see what happens.

Stop sperging.

ebPD8PePfC

Savant
Manifold Garden – This is a puzzle game where Space is a 3d dimensional repeating manifold, which means that when you fall to the bottom you reappear at the top. Add to it that a lot if huge structures, and you get a fantastic feeling of falling alongside huge endless buildings. This along with the sound design, are the fantastic parts. The game has a lot of sections where you look around and enjoy the sights. Sadly this is also a line puzzle game, and many of those puzzles have nothing to do with the manifold structures. They are just regular line puzzles. You can turn around the direction of gravity, which adds some complexity, but many of those puzzles too don’t make use of the best features of the game. I would guess about 70% of puzzles have nothing to do with the unique nature of the space.
It’s a shame, because the game is enjoyable for those who like line puzzles, but fails to reach excellence since the best parts are never explored. It feels like the manifold spaces were created, and then the devs figured they couldn’t sell a game about spatial exploration, so they added more recognizable gameplay in the form of line puzzles. Your enjoyment of the game depends mainly on how much you care for the visuals, and how tolerant you are to basic line puzzles. Those two don’t intersect enough, so if you removed them and made the game half as long it would probably be better. Most people would probably complain though, so it’s not like I blame the devs or anything. The end result is still worth playing, at least until the novelty of the giant endless structures wears off.

It reminded me a lot of NaissanceE, a game whose best feature was the exploration of huge and beautiful structures. The devs probably felt this wasn't enough, so they added a lot of gameplay elements almost at random, some of which work really well while others drag the game to a halt. At the end of the day Manifold Garden wins because they picked the least intrusive puzzles they could think of, even though those puzzles are almost like a minigame attached to the core gameplay. It seems obvious that games like these that have beautiful environments should focus on exploration, but like 90's adventure games puzzles are picked instead, because exploration by itself isn't deemed sufficient to fill the playtime quota demanded by the players.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
KOTC, there is damage reduction for slash/blunt/pierce/lawful/chaotic/evil/adamantium/cold iron. If I carry the best weapons for my dual wield fighter, her backpack will be very heavy.
Also trying to get the 2 million GP achievement so I'm avoiding crafting as much as possible.

Last edited:

Dux

Arcane
That's one of the things I appreciated about the old Gothic games.

Diego tells you the exact same things as Duras at the very start of the game - being part of a faction is good, weapons are useful and if you act mean people will dislike you.

You're also welcome to try to kill Diego at any point in the game and see what happens.

Stop sperging.

It was the first game of its kind too, so it stands to reason to have an opening like that. You arrive in the world and literally one moment later you have Diego telling you about what's in store. It's straight to the point. Then you're free as a bird, pretty much. In ELEX you're running down corridors with invisible walls for about 15 minutes, following all of the familiar beats of modern gaming design until you encounter your first human - in enemy territory - that just so happens to be an essential NPC with exposition galore: much of which was already explained in the intro.

The fact that Gothic did it doesn't excuse anything. Gothic did indeed do it and it was done much better - providing a fast and effective entry into the game world while pointing out the fact that you had the reins. It had an unforgiving tone, which is what made the series - in my opinion. PB can do better and actually did better with Risen. In that you're shipwrecked on a beach and what you do after is up to you. You can go along with the game's loosely intended design or you can run around like a madman, going straight to the swamp or get captured by the mages. There's no figurative corridors to be seen.

Also I might have my autistic moments but this is not one of them. I hold PB to a higher standard, honestly. But, as I said before, I have no doubt that this game will grow on me, despite its lacklustre opening.

JDR13

Arcane
The fact that Gothic did it doesn't excuse anything. Gothic did indeed do it and it was done much better - providing a fast and effective entry into the game world while pointing out the fact that you had the reins. It had an unforgiving tone, which is what made the series - in my opinion. PB can do better and actually did better with Risen. In that you're shipwrecked on a beach and what you do after is up to you. You can go along with the game's loosely intended design or you can run around like a madman, going straight to the swamp or get captured by the mages. There's no figurative corridors to be seen.

There's no figurative corridors in Elex either. The game does nudge you towards Goliet at the start, but the world is completely open.

Imo, it's a thousand times better than Risen 3 once you get into it. I'm a big fan of post-apoc settings though so YMMV.

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
Still playing Betrayal at Krondor. One month in, still in Chapter 1. It's a testament to how slowly I play and also to how good BaK is. I reached Krondor a while ago and decided instead to go around the entire map of Midkemia with Locklear, Owyn and Gorath. I'm almost done with that, but there's at least one side quest yet to complete and one dungeon I still need to check out before moving on to Chapter 2. Owyn is quite a badass right now, he can even summon a water spirit!

Yesterday I reached a settlement northwest, can't remember the name right now, and when visiting a particular house I was greeted by a man covered in flour. Behind him, a woman working at a table, also covered in flour, and all around the smell of freshly baked bread. Locklear asked for some of their bread and the man explained that they had an exclusivity agreement with an inn just down the road, where they could buy the bread.

That's it. No sidequest, no dialogue tree, nothing. And it's all very well written too. This game is pure bliss.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Fallout 2. This game could really use the option to tag secondary skills (for something like 50% effectivnes of a bonus to SP). Tagging most skills feels wrong, since they don't need to be that high to be effective, and you'll eventually get them to an okeish level by reading books. With secondary skills you could make that outdorsman mechanic, without feeling like an idiot.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Tried Dominions for the first time, the latest fifth one.
After a few failed attempts i finally managed to win against an Ai with what i believe is one of the simpliest pretender builds - a fomorian giant boar with nature regeneration bless.
I learned how to expand, i think.

Cool game, though i prefer the faster pacing of CoE4 a tiny bit more.

ebPD8PePfC

Savant
Ace Combat 7 – Played the first 10 missions. It’s an arcady flight simulator, focusing on dogfights. You have 86 auto-locking missiles, plus 30 more auto-locking missiles that can be shot in rounds of four. The challenge is not to shot down your opponents with your gun, nor is it to stay alive, the challenge is to cycle targets until you find one you can shot with your auto aiming missiles. That’s the game, level after level:
cycle targets → shot → cycle targets
Tab tab tab → right click mouse → tab tab tab
The hardest thing about the game is not to get mad that you have to cycle targets like a dummy, because the game lacks a button to target the enemy you’re aiming at. There’s also aren’t any cool manuvers you can do, which leaves the combat feel pretty bare.
For what it’s worth, the visuals are good, the music is good, and the story could appeal to some people… but at the end of the day this is a low depth, high budget AAA experience. It’s not inherently bad, but it isn’t too interesting either. At best it makes me want to play Free Space 2.
The game also has a Half Life style muted protagonist that everyone talks to but he never responds. Fuck that.

Villagkouras

Arcane
It's amazing how sometimes developers shoot themselves in their foot, with no reason at all. I've played The Way on release, because it was a puzzle/platformer like Another World or Flashback, which were games I enjoyed back in the day. I quickly abandoned it because it had terrible controls, one of the worst I had encountered by then and a terrible checkpoint system which made you replay entire sections before reaching the place you died (and you die a lot in this game). It had a good premise but terrible execution.

I knew it was heavily patched, so in the last Steam sale I bought it for 1,50€. And surprise: Now the game is great. Movement is fine, although you need to get used to it, but it's fine. Also, the checkpoints are much more sane now. If you finish a sequence, there is a checkpoint. No more tedious replaying of the same things.

Too bad, the damage was already done: The game had a justified 61 metacritic when it was released (I know because I keep track of the games I play and metacritic score is something I write down). Now it has 67, probably later reviewers played the patched version and 1 XBOX review (the game was released a year after PC) is at 80/100. So, I wonder: How many sales this good game lost due to the devs not having the patience to refine their game for some months?

The game itself has many things in store: Action sequences, platform sequences, but it's mainly a puzzle game, most of the time you solve puzzles. You need to pay attention to details for clues/hints and most of the puzzles are on the right level, even the hardest ones are absolutely logical. The game spices things up with new things and it's not repetitive. It has an interesting story which is well told without becoming tiring. Art is fine for what it is and music is meh. The game has character and atmosphere. I really enjoyed myself playing it, but it could achieve a much higher status if it had a proper release.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom