Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter The Wayward Realms - upcoming Daggerfall-like RPG from original Elder Scrolls developers - coming to Kickstarter

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
If they will get a publisher that will allow them to make whatever they want it's good...... they will have the money and will have to provide the game in a time frame

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Ted:

Here’s the real deal. We’re in negotiations with some possible publishers and have been talking to them for months. We had every reason to believe we’d be able to announce something specific about the game at this point, but we’re not in that position. Hopefully soon. And if you didn’t have sparkling apple juice at New Years when you were a kid, sorry about that.

I’m not the business guy, but I think some combination of crowdfunding and publisher support might be the reality

Lemming42

Arcane
As long as they're shopping around for publishers, they must have some kind of pitch or basic plan ready for the game, beyond "it's procedurally generated and we worked on Daggerfall". So that's good news, I guess.

LudensCogitet

Learned
Doesn't seem like they'll get publisher interest though.
Yeah that's my concern.

I've been thinking about these revivals by old school devs (The Outer Worlds, Underworld Ascendant, System Shock 3). These guys are not young anymore. They also weren't Indies in the modern sense when they were.

There's no reason to believe they would accept the working conditions and salaries they did working for companies when they made their good stuff 20 years ago, let alone the kind they'd have to accept to make a game without mass appeal in the current market.

It's pretty much guaranteed that they are accustomed to a standard of living that makes this kind of project very unlikely to work out as we would want it to. They need too much money and too much work / life balance.

I'm in my early 30s and I'm working on games. But you haven't heard about it because I have a day job, a family, a mortgage, and I'm not willing to compromise on my stuff. I know this means it will take forever, and may never happen, even if I did know what I was doing.

Perhaps this is too cynical, but honestly, what kind of salary do you think someone like Julian has been pulling for the passed 20 years, and how much of a pay cut is he willing / able to take for the 3+ years this project will take?

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Perhaps this is too cynical, but honestly, what kind of salary do you think someone like Julian has been pulling for the passed 20 years, and how much of a pay cut is he willing / able to take for the 3+ years this project will take?

Depends if he is doing it for money or for fun.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Doesn't seem like they'll get publisher interest though.

If ELEX can get a publisher, they can also :M

Publisher deal is just to create hype and give you money to work on the project (in return they expect sales)

Curratum

The only thing you need to know is that every time you see the words "ORIGINAL X DEVS", you need to run as far away from this shit as it's humanly possible.

No, I am sure they have great news: after realizing that they need more manpower, they acquired the services of Paul Neurath (most recently of Underworld Ascendant fame), Richard Garriott (Shroud of the Avatar), Chris Roberts (Scam Citizen), Tim Cain (Outer Turds), those SSI guys whose project couldn't even get Kickstarted, the spirit of Warren Spector, and Avellone will consult to write the letter they write to better business bureau once it all flops.

Viata

Arcane
No, I am sure they have great news: after realizing that they need more manpower, they acquired the services of Paul Neurath (most recently of Underworld Ascendant fame), Richard Garriott (Shroud of the Avatar), Chris Roberts (Scam Citizen), Tim Cain (Outer Turds), those SSI guys whose project couldn't even get Kickstarted, the spirit of Warren Spector, and Avellone will consult to write the letter they write to better business bureau once it all flops.
It is either going to be the greatest game ever made or the worst shit one ever has played in his life. There is no other option.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom