Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls Discussion Thread

Doktor Best

Arcane
So whats the KK on Dark Souls remastered?

I still think Dark Souls is the best Soulsborne game and i would like to play the best version when i go for another playthrough. But is it?

Wunderbar

Arcane
Doktor Best there is no choice, since original was delisted. If you're not interested in multiplayer, Remastered is worth it for rock solid 60 fps alone (even in blighttown).

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected

I still think Dark Souls is the best Soulsborne game and i would like to play the best version when i go for another playthrough. But is it?
I personally don't own it, i have the original on steam. I read some comments and i only know the studio responsible for remaster ( that is not From soft) messed up the lighting because didnt understand the subtley of DS atmosphere. Also they fixed some annoting things like offering multiple covenant items at the time and some other thing.
Imo you should go with what have more active players if you are interested in multiplayer

RoBoBOBR

Arcane
Patron
If you're not interested in multiplayer, Remastered is worth it for rock solid 60 fps alone (even in blighttown).

if he's not interested in MP he's better off pirating the original and slapping DSfix and The Dark Souls Input Customizer on top of it, this way he'll have 60 fps, better graphics and better controls than DS remastered.

Wunderbar

Arcane
If you're not interested in multiplayer, Remastered is worth it for rock solid 60 fps alone (even in blighttown).
if he's not interested in MP he's better off pirating the original and slapping DSfix and The Dark Souls Input Customizer on top of it, this way he'll have 60 fps, better graphics and better controls than DS remastered.
PtDE can barely hold 30 fps, let alone stable 60. It dips into 10s in blighttown even on powerful machines. Not to mention that unlocked fps may break game physics.

RoBoBOBR

Arcane
Patron
PtDE can barely hold 30 fps, let alone stable 60. It dips into 10s in blighttown even on powerful machines. Not to mention that unlocked fps may break game physics.
Had no problems with fps after dsfix applied, 60 fps does affect physics (sliding down stairs can cause you to get through the floor and jump distance is shorter), however remastered has similar stuff (jump distance at the very least) and DSfix offers a hotkey to switch to 30 fps on the fly (backspace by default IIRC) so you can have best of both worlds.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Issues with 60fps DSFix are exaggerated, by which I mean to say that It Works On My Machine. I didn't get 60 in Blighttown, but I got it almost everywhere else, and it's not nearly as bad as Wunderbar makes it out to be. I didn't encounter any "falling through the world" issues either in 200+ hours, although I'm sure they're there.

RoBoBOBR

Arcane
Patron
I did fall through once, as a result of sliding down particularly long stairs. And after that i just switched to 30 before the slide, and back to 60 after, ez pz.

PtDE can barely hold 30 fps, let alone stable 60. It dips into 10s in blighttown even on powerful machines.

That's complete nonsense, I used FPS unlock function and then set limiter to 30, it never went below that, not even in Blighttown. And I always use mid end PCs.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
didn't encounter any "falling through the world" issues

Afaik there's only one place where it can happen - Undead Parish, down the ladder to the room with 3 rats. Plus you'll hardly ever go down that ladder.

The only real problem was the jump distance. Ya'll are telling me jump is shorter even in Remaster? What.

I've been playing through Remastered on my Switch the last few months. As someone with medium familiarity of the base game (3 prior playthroughs, although always abandoned just before Gwyn) I can't say I noticed much of a difference -either positively or negatively - except for a much more active MP community compared to PtDE. Admittedly I'm pretty much the farthest thing from a graphics whore, and I understand the remaster team did fuck up some textures and lighting, but I never noticed it aside from a vague sense that the remaster is very slightly brighter than the original.

So yeah, as others have said, if the MP aspect interests you at all, the Remaster is worth it IMO since the community is much more active these days. If not, go for whatever the cheapest option available is; the game is a masterpiece no matter what version you play.

Squid

Arbiter

If you don't own Prepare to Die, then get the Remastered. I don't know what the KK is or what that stands for. But I hear it pretty much retains all bugs and glitches from the original version, minus a very few, and has better optimization, a new bonfire spot, and better online features and connectivity or some shit.

I owned PTD from way back when a friend convinced me to buy and couldn't get into it. Lucky for me that I bought it then and now have taken interest in the series. I was going to buy Remaster just because I like Dark Souls 1 the most and having passwords for online stuff and an active playerbase would be fun but they seem to have taken away the 20 dollar discount for PTD owners. Not really feeling the 40 bucks for a game I can play just fine that I bought about 7-9 years ago.

Been working on getting 100% achievements in DS1 and Bloodborne since those are my favorites. It's not as bad as it would initially seem. It'll take time moreso and the worst bit will be getting to Anor Londo in NG++ to redeem a third Sif soul but even then it shouldn't be that hard, just a bit annoying with things getting more powerful at spots like Sen's Fortress. I can rush Sif early and not have to deal with anything in the Duskroot areas besides the few plants on the way to the door. Replaying this game makes me appreciate how many different ways you could enter new areas at points. Darkroot Garden/Basin/Whatever has a few ways to get to where Sif is.

Vorark

Erudite
Admittedly I'm pretty much the farthest thing from a graphics whore, and I understand the remaster team did fuck up some textures and lighting, but I never noticed it aside from a vague sense that the remaster is very slightly brighter than the original.

Switch version retains a certain fidelity to the original visuals. It's the remastered PS4/Xbox1/PC versions, which were worked on by a different company, that have the botched lighting system.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Judging by those videos the changes seem minuscule. Big brouhaha over nothing.

Disagree actually. The characters stand out in a strange way (sort of like poorly photoshopped) since the lighting on them somehow doesnt fit with the lighting of the surrounding area.

Its not a deal breaker but it definitely is a graphical downgrade in my book.

I will keep my shekels and continue with the ptd version for now.

Last edited:

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It definitely doesn't look better than the original (with DSFix's upped screen resolution). I always saw the remaster as a product for people who didn't want to mess around with mods. I know my PTDE installation is a crooked house of cards of various mods which I'm sure wouldn't work if I were to fire it up right now.

RoSoDude

Arcane
The change to the bonfire visuals is the worst part
Agree in terms of the changes, but the actual worst part was the ransom of $20 from PDTE owners for basic functionality (resolution, 60FPS, proper M+KB) that should have been there in the first place. Not like we needed their help with the mods already out there.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom