Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Beautiful shit

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
RDR2 looks really nice (and realistic, which I guess is what you want). However the AA solutions are so terrible it kind of ruined the graphics for me. The game is designed around TAA, so the MSAA option doesn't look right. The trees are weird, not everything is effected, etc. TAA looks super blurry without sharpening, and the sharpening is really obvious and off-putting. The game could look great but more often than not I was annoyed by how processed it looked. Like a crappy old movie transfer on DVD processed to hell and back to look "HD" on Blu-ray.

Control is the most demanding game for my PC at the moment. I don't know if by "shitty" you mean the game (kinda yeah) or the graphics (WTF? No.). Either way, it's the most demanding for me.

You have Jedi Fallen Order on the list so I'll throw in that while it looks nice it's in no way a graphics powerhouse or anything, and it ran great at highest settings.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
To clarify about Control: I didn't like the game (stupid gameplay, stolen lore), and while I liked the vusual style, it had seroius issues with Directx/downgrading textures. Also ray tracing in Control feels ridiculuosly unoptimised.

Curratum

So many recommendations, no mention for the single most beautiful depiction of our planet earth in a video game - theHunter: Call of the Wild.

Max that shit out fully, at 1080p, and it will take your new hardware to town.

Generic-Giant-Spider

I like Wild West stuff, but RDR2 is one shitty game full of nothing.

But it looks cool.
Waiting for the Weird West!

I THOUGHT IT DID TOO. But it takes like 20 hours before shit begins moving and that murder-fuck-kills all sorts of replayability.

RDR1 is really good though. But I don't think it ever got ported outside of PS3/360 era consoles. There's also the lesser praised Red Dead Revolver which was great as it played to the good old spaghetti western real hard. Then there was Gun, which I thought was pretty good at the time it came out.

AND OF COURSE THE GODLY SUNSET RIDERS.

Steezus

Savant
Patron
Welcome to hell, OP.

I built a high end rig last summer and there's fuck all to play. The only visually impressive game I finished was Control, everything else was too boring to hold my attention for more than a few hours.

I'm basically only playing Escape From Tarkov. It's incline if you're into hardcore shooters and it looks good, but it's no state of the art graphical wonderhouse.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Quake II RTX
Minecraft with SEUS shaders

075.jpg

Farewell into the night

Ace Combat 7 and maybe check out later Microsoft Flight Simulator (releasing this year).

Oh, also Alien:Isolation is a legitimately good AAA game that has very nice art direction. Be forewarned that it takes waaaaaaay too long to actually get going though. The first 2 hours are basically a semi-interactive cutscene.

Konjad

⛏
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm surprised nobody mentioned ArmA 3 yet. It has really beautiful graphics on max and the gameplay is great. Probably the best looking good game. So far I have already 700 hours on Steam and I will continue to play.

Attila: Total War is also nice looking TW game that has more challenging gameplay (at least at the start of the game) than other Total War games (mostly because enemies can just move through and raid territory, instead of basically having to attack any border province like in other TW games). Bored me after about 170 hours according to Steam.

Xcom 2 is another good game that looks great. Well worth buying and completing. Same as the first Xcom too, but obviously graphics are a bit more dated. Play both though.

The Witcher 3, which was already mentioned, as well as Kingdom Come and both Divinity: Original Sin games.

Maybe some more, but now I have to go to work. I might chip in later or some other day and give more recommendations.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
I'm surprised nobody mentioned ArmA 3 yet. It has really beautiful graphics on max and the gameplay is great. Probably the best looking good game. So far I have already 700 hours on Steam and I will continue to play.

Attila: Total War is also nice looking TW game that has more challenging gameplay (at least at the start of the game) than other Total War games (mostly because enemies can just move through and raid territory, instead of basically having to attack any border province like in other TW games). Bored me after about 170 hours according to Steam.

Xcom 2 is another good game that looks great. Well worth buying and completing. Same as the first Xcom too, but obviously graphics are a bit more dated. Play both though.

The Witcher 3, which was already mentioned, as well as Kingdom Come and both Divinity: Original Sin games.

Maybe some more, but now I have to go to work. I might chip in later or some other day and give more recommendations.

Yeah, Arma 3 was in my list initially (particularly 2019 DLC Contact). Didn't remember why it is not here anymore. I've playmed ArmA 2: DayZ Mod back in 2013 and that was impressive.

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
It's not my intent to bring you down OP, but there's no reason to build a high end PC these days. Modern graphics suck ass - uninspired and generic art direction, tons of godawful post-processing... There's not a single game I can think of that would be worth it.

///
Resident Evil 2 Remake is supposedly a good game that looks nice.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom