Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What's up with Google Stadia?

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
The other prediction I always hear, "Game streaming will work in X years because connection speeds will be better."

Then X comes around and the technology still has the same issues.

It's worth noting most of the professional reviews say the technology itself works rather well; or better than expected at any rate. It's the business model most of them are attacking it for. Not saying the tech is good enough for any of us, but we're not the target market.
Stop trying to make Stadia happen, it's never going to happen.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
It works quite well on a good connection. The kind of connection that makes that feature useless in the first place. Great use of development time!
Eh. Considering modern games usually take up 40+GB of disk space, being able to start playing after only downloading 3 can be nice. Won't be able to play at high graphics settings, and sometimes it will halt a bit during loading to download assets, but still. It does seem like a fairly wasteful feature though, must be rather annoying to code.

It works quite well on a good connection. The kind of connection that makes that feature useless in the first place. Great use of development time!
Eh. Considering modern games usually take up 40+GB of disk space, being able to start playing after only downloading 3 can be nice. Won't be able to play at high graphics settings, and sometimes it will halt a bit during loading to download assets, but still. It does seem like a fairly wasteful feature though, must be rather annoying to code.

Ehh, even a 40 GB game is going to be like 30-60 mins max mins to download off the kind of connection you'd be using Stadia with. Yes I know it says it requires 35 mbps but if you are close enough to their centers to make it viable you probably have ~200 mbps.

It'd be good if e.g. there was an option to demo games and you could play 10 mins of a dozen different shooters in a few hours to see what you like, but since you can only apparently buy games at full steam price or higher what's the point? I don't see anyone paying $30-60 for a game simultaneously being that impatient while also caring that little about input lag/visual quality.

The other prediction I always hear, "Game streaming will work in X years because connection speeds will be better."

Then X comes around and the technology still has the same issues.

It's worth noting most of the professional reviews say the technology itself works rather well; or better than expected at any rate. It's the business model most of them are attacking it for. Not saying the tech is good enough for any of us, but we're not the target market.

I think this just shows that professional reviewers are trash. They are so bad at games (and recognizing input responsiveness) that they wouldn't notice if you switched their stadia game stream to an LP video on youtube with no player audio. They'd probably enjoy it more, in fact.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I think this just shows that professional reviewers are trash. They are so bad at games (and recognizing input responsiveness) that they wouldn't notice if you switched their stadia game stream to an LP video on youtube with no player audio. They'd probably enjoy it more, in fact.

For sure, and people who care about things like input lag have had a much worse experience. However the product itself is aimed at casuals looking to fart around in Assassin's Creed for an hour after the kids go to sleep. It's not aimed at us. Stadia's "buy $100+ thing up front and buy all the games too" sales pitch sucks for these people though, so it's a total non-starter at the moment. When Microsoft offers you gamepass for $12 a month with hundreds of games and no hardware required though? I hope it fails, but...

paperjack

Literate

Have you tried it?
Who is the target market? Gamers with super fast internet connection that live close to their servers? Rich casuals?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Have you tried it?
Who is the target market? Gamers with super fast internet connection that live close to their servers? Rich casuals?

Why do you say rich? The thing that will make streaming succeed is the same thing that did with movies and shows; cheap and convenient access. "Rich" has zero to do with it. The target market is people who casually play "AAA" games that care more about convenience and cost than they do quality. There are plenty of people like that, Stadia just isn't appealing to them at all right now because of its brain-dead business model. My point is that won't be an issue for long, and Microsoft is already ready to go with a subscription service. Google will probably change gears eventually.

There's pretty much nothing I hate more than streaming taking over media. You're talking to someone who still buys their movies on disc for fucks sake, and who buys every game he can on GOG. However I'm not gonna sit here and play dumb like everyone did on my movie forums 10 years ago. "Streaming video taking over? LOL!" Streaming is the future of everything, whether we like it or not. Only question is how long it takes to get there. Google obviously hasn't nailed it, but someone will eventually.

Akasen

Augur
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Google Stadia was basically doomed to failure from the mere hype about it.

Honestly, Google would have been better off just announcing and releasing Stadia the same day without any form of fanfare asides from prior playtesting (I remember Super Bunnyhop playing Assassin's Creed with it before Stadia was announced).

These claims of negative latency, future of gaming, and all that shit was already just guns pointed at every appendage of the corporate body of the company just so anyone with a brain, knowledge of previous streaming services, and just an all around distrust of Google could be ready to go off on the company's inevitable failure.

J1M

Arcane
Come on guys, Jade Raymond would never have released Stadia if she thought it had input lag or the wrong business model.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom