Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Pink Eye, I will definitely play Unfair at some point (although not before I have finished the game a couple of times on Hard), but I will probably not stick to it. At the end of the day, what I am personally interested in is figuring out the highest difficulty that supports ironman playthroughs and having that as my go-to difficulty. I am currently unsure whether even Hard supports the ironman style, I have to git gud before I can know this.
I've tried Unfair Iron Man. This year alone I have lost around 20-40 lives in the prologue area. Another 10 lives in the bandit encounter at Oleg's Post. Suffice to say, I have yet to get past chapter 1 on Unfair Iron Man.

Trashos

Arcane
Pink Eye, yes, I remember. Have you ever tried to ironman Hard? With what you now know playing Unfair, do you think Hard is doable ironman?

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
Pink Eye, yes, I remember. Have you ever tried to ironman Hard? With what you now know playing Unfair, do you think Hard is doable ironman?
Hard is doable if you're willing to save scum. Honestly, the difficult part is surviving through the early game. One you get to mid game you should have an easier time. This is why Desiderius lowers the difficulty in the early game, then brings it back up once he gets a couple of levels.

Trashos

Arcane
Cheers, so after I eventually finish the game on Unfair, I will probably end up doing semi-ironman playthroughs on Hard (counting number of deaths). We will see how it goes.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
Cheers, so after I eventually finish the game on Unfair, I will probably end up doing semi-ironman playthroughs on Hard (counting number of deaths). We will see how it goes.
Make a thread about it. I am interested to see if you manage to get further than I did. It would be an achievement alone if you manage to get through the prologue area in one peace.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
Trashos I sat down and came up with some general tips:
1) Have a capable spell caster that can buff and use crowd control based spells. I may have already covered that in my walkthrough, but color spray, sleep, grease, and so on. Are all great spells that can disable your opponents. Which can inflict the "Helpless" status: https://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/Conditions/#Helpless In this state enemies receive a -5 to AC, and allies gain a +4 bonus attack. However, ranged do not receive the benefit. Furthermore, buffs such as bark skin, shield of faith, bless, and guidance; are all great early buffs that can substantially change the tide of the battle in your favor.
2) Martial based builds live and die by the support of a fellow spell caster. So if you have a martial character make sure you have a competent spell caster to support them.
3) I recommend hiring a min maxed mercenary. Ideally, you should start recruiting mercs at level 1. For the cost is around 100 gold. No idea if the developers fixed that exploit though, so be warned. This guy managed to come up with a solid strategy for hiring mercs. In other words he managed to figure out a way to minimize the exp gap between himself and mercenaries. Read about it here: https://steamcommunity.com/app/640820/discussions/0/3428846977640317073/?ctp=3#c3428846977650338929
4) You can try abusing the exp setting if you want. Read about that here: https://steamcommunity.com/app/640820/discussions/7/1630790506920383184/ However I recommend against that. It lowers the difficulty.
5) Try to figure out ways in which you can abuse the enemy AI. For example in this part: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...o-hell-by-pink-eye.131040/page-3#post-6467615 I managed to abuse the AI, by isolating the Mite Queen from the mites. Then baited the mites out one by one.
6) Choke points are very important! Always try to analyze the map and look for places where you can force a choke point. However be aware this doesn't always work against small creatures. Well it does, but not always.
7) It should go without saying that you're going to probably have to reload if a battle doesn't go your way. Such is life in Iron Man. Not a fool proof strategy though. As you can sometimes get an unlucky crit to the face.
8) If you're having issues I recommend rolling a pet based build. For the pet is quite competent at tanking for early levels (Depending on what pet you chose).

That's all I got for now.

Trashos

Arcane
Pink Eye, cheers! I am aware of most of those, but not all. I will check out guidance and color spray, I have not been using those. In my game, Lvl1 Mercs cost 500 gold, so it has probably been fixed. I always use a rogue Merc till I deal with the Technic League, but I will try to do the rest of the game with companions.

I am against pets and summons in general. We will see how it goes, I may have to reconsider some of the self-restraints as I move along.

In the Sycamore caves now (not ironman yet, just Hard), I am starting feeling hopeful that I will make it out of Ch1!

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
Trashos The mercenary price "bug" is still not fixed, it just says 500 but then it costs 50 (or 100 can't remember). I hired 3 party members of min maxed mercs before the bandits attack at Oleg's. But they were lvl1 and me and companions were just going to lvl2.

Still having a full party helped with Ancient Tomb and Thorn Ford.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
Meh. I lost so many characters in the prologue and bandit encounter at Olegs that I started to abuse reloading. Yet, it still doesn't change much. Reloading only helps with aggro pulls. After that, once shit hits the fan, you're fucked. It's not a magic button to win. It just gives you another attempt at an encounter. I'm probably going to give up Unfair Iron Man though. As much as I love Pathfinder, I just can't get past chapter one.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Just beat that fucking Troll in the Dwarven Fortress. Damn, these battles are all about luck, for damn sure. If you don't get that Hideous Laughter on him off the back, you have to reload. He fucking destroys everyone, even with everyone buffed to hell and back.

Crazily enough, I killed him before I even got to the Kobold leader. I've read that people usually kill the Kobold leader before they kill him, but my party kept missing his ass. Somehow, I don't even know who it was, but the Troll was at very low health. Either Ekun was criting him like crazy or Octavia did something miraculous. I'm not about to go through that long ass log to find out either. I just pay my respect to either Ekun or Octavia. My fighters were all focused on the Kobold, and before you know it, the fucking Troll king dies.

It was very, very close battle too because he got up and will-saved a hideous laughter. The second one worked right as he hit my main character paladin to almost zero health.

It had to be Ekun because Octavia was also busy casting blindness, weaken, etc. Maybe he didn't will-save a weaken or something, which is new because he always will-saves those.

Mexi i was surprised how much HP Tartuk had. I CC'd him immediately and had Valerie (Vanguard) pummeling him with sneak and Kanerah blasting him while the rest of my party dealt with Hurgulka. Harrim got dropped with a crit and Jubilost not long after him. I was eventually able to CC him after using buffs to hold him at bay. Jaethal took alittle damage, but only Harrim and Jubilost felt any hurt. Everyone was on their feet when I killed Hargulka. Good fight.

Trashos

Arcane
Games sometimes offer official ironman modes, where the save is deleted when you die. Such modes try to simulate ironman, but that is not all the restrictions that it actually has. In ironman there is no reloading at all, ever, for any reason other than a game crash. Other types of more limited restrictions are respectable and should be applauded, but they are not ironman.

Cael

Arcane
Just beat that fucking Troll in the Dwarven Fortress. Damn, these battles are all about luck, for damn sure. If you don't get that Hideous Laughter on him off the back, you have to reload. He fucking destroys everyone, even with everyone buffed to hell and back.

Crazily enough, I killed him before I even got to the Kobold leader. I've read that people usually kill the Kobold leader before they kill him, but my party kept missing his ass. Somehow, I don't even know who it was, but the Troll was at very low health. Either Ekun was criting him like crazy or Octavia did something miraculous. I'm not about to go through that long ass log to find out either. I just pay my respect to either Ekun or Octavia. My fighters were all focused on the Kobold, and before you know it, the fucking Troll king dies.

It was very, very close battle too because he got up and will-saved a hideous laughter. The second one worked right as he hit my main character paladin to almost zero health.

It had to be Ekun because Octavia was also busy casting blindness, weaken, etc. Maybe he didn't will-save a weaken or something, which is new because he always will-saves those.
The troll saw a black Superman and laughed itself to death?

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
Games sometimes offer official ironman modes, where the save is deleted when you die. Such modes try to simulate ironman, but that is not all the restrictions that it actually has. In ironman there is no reloading at all, ever, for any reason other than a game crash. Other types of more limited restrictions are respectable and should be applauded, but they are not ironman.
In Pathfinder you can press escape and reload an earlier save. The game auto saves a lot. it doesn't auto save before a encounter though, so there is a lot of back tracking. Besides that, I agree with you. I'm just frustrated with my inability to make actual progress on Unfair Iron Man.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Mexi i was surprised how much HP Tartuk had. I CC'd him immediately and had Valerie (Vanguard) pummeling him with sneak and Kanerah blasting him while the rest of my party dealt with Hurgulka. Harrim got dropped with a crit and Jubilost not long after him. I was eventually able to CC him after using buffs to hold him at bay. Jaethal took alittle damage, but only Harrim and Jubilost felt any hurt. Everyone was on their feet when I killed Hargulka. Good fight.
I was like "Who the fuck is Jubilost?" ...And now I have to restart. Fuck me, his encounter never triggered. I guess I went to the Ford too early or something. I tried to go back, but he didn't come up. Thankfully, I went back to get Harrim to see the Fortress thinking that the Dwarf you encounter there would trigger something in his quest after I emptied it out (before the final encounter). Holy shit, thank goodness I didn't overwrite it! Reloaded that save, and his encounter comes up. Utterly retarded that you have to go at the right moment or you lose out on a treasurer. I was wondering why the fuck all these projects for the treasury were loading up!

Dammit, now I have to go back and kill the fucking troll king again on top of all those slugs and shit I cleaned out at the Witch's Hut. Awwwwww!

Trashos

Arcane
I'm just frustrated with my inability to make actual progress on Unfair Iron Man.

Judging by what I have been reading in your guide, I do not think that Unfair is doable ironman. Too much RNG for that. Maybe it could be tried with an army of pets and summons for every fight, but I do not see it happening otherwise. It is possible that the developers decided they would feel insulted if highest difficulty were doable ironman.

I also have my doubts that one can ironman Hard. But it could be tried. Challenging is probably doable.

imo it is also connected to damage done by character.

It is possible. However, I am playing with 2 tanks and Reggie in my frontline, and most of the switching I see is towards Reggie (lowest AC of the 3) even before he does any damage. So I am not convinced yet.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
I was like "Who the fuck is Jubilost?" ...And now I have to restart. Fuck me, his encounter never triggered.

More like Jew-Be-Lost, amiright?

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Damn, these battles are all about luck, for damn sure. If you don't get that Hideous Laughter on him off the back, you have to reload.
No, it's about ability to read and make conclusions. Hargulka has pitiful will saves, and Linzi should have not only Laughter in Trobold, but Cacophonous Call as well. Its DC is higher than Laughter.
Beating Hargulka when he has nausea is really fun.

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I kinda dropped the game to wait for it to get finished. Probably a good time to get back into it. I am thinking of doing hybrid of normal / hard difficulty. The only thing I am not sure about is whether it is a good idea to put castle management on easy or something. What do you guys think? Does it add to the game or just annoying.

Kingdom management is an idiot detector. If you read the tutorials and put in time to understand the system then it’s not particularly difficult unless you’re ignoring the Main Quest for way too long.

Last edited:

Parabalus

Arcane
I kinda dropped the game to wait for it to get finished. Probably a good time to get back into it. I am thinking of doing hybrid of normal / hard difficulty. The only thing I am not sure about is whether it is a good idea to put castle management on easy or something. What do you guys think? Does it add to the game or just annoying.

You can change the difficulty at any point, including individual settings.

Because they add flat bonuses to enemies you might wanna start with something lower and increase it as you play.

KM is fun now since they fixed the bugs, I'd leave it at normal.

Trashos

Arcane
The only thing I am not sure about is whether it is a good idea to put castle management on easy or something. What do you guys think? Does it add to the game or just annoying.

Kingdom management is an important part of the game, and you will be missing a great deal of the developers' intentions if you do not play it. Personally I like it, and I say you need to at least try it.

I have been playing kingdom management on "Normal" since my 1st playthrough, and it is fine.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
Does Cleve RPG Codex quest still gives you insane amounts of XP for passed skill checks?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom