Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

Been playing this for about 20 hours, bored to death. I know people usually admit this game has inferior story, quests, world, etc, but I don't understand how they can claim it has good combat. I've been playing as a good ol' fighter, with 2 default pawns (Rook and one healer type pawn I created myself).

1. Basic enemies - You spend the whole first part of the game fighting smaller type enemies: goblins, bandits, skeletons, etc. Well, thanks to the retarded spawns, there is no real combat against them. The spawns just spam fire spells at them, and once a goblin or a bandit or a lizardman is on fire, they just roll on the ground helplessly, while you spam attacks at them.

2. Huge bullet sponge enemies - cyclopses, ogres, etc. Holy crap, 3 lifebars, barely take any damage. Yeah, the climbing on them is a nice neat trick, but after 450th time, it gets old, and you are just left spamming crap forever.

3. "Trick" enemies - Like those floating ghostly skelly summoners. Or the lizardmen with their dumbass stealth and one attack per hour.

The whole combat system is just spam attacks, and climb on large shit. Extremely overrated.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
PorkyThePaladin If you are not dealing enough damage you clearly have not upgraded enough your equipment. It's strange to have that problem until the DLC. Multiclass to take skills from other classes. The class system is thought to experiment, and if you want you can go back to fighter afterwards.

Also you should change Rook for a higher level pawn, he is useless 20h into the game. Bring another damage dealer pawn to a party of 4 characters, You, yor main pawn, and 2 hired ones you should change every couple of levels to make them useful.

You guys are missing my point. It's not that I am not dealing enough damage, it's that the whole system is boring. For example, in Dark Souls games you have to learn enemy patterns, in KCD you have to react to enemy attacks and learn combo patterns, in Sekiro, you have to parry. In DD, you are just basically spamming the same attacks over and over.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
You guys are missing my point. It's not that I am not dealing enough damage, it's that the whole system is boring. For example, in Dark Souls games you have to learn enemy patterns, in KCD you have to react to enemy attacks and learn combo patterns, in Sekiro, you have to parry. In DD, you are just basically spamming the same attacks over and over.

It's a party based game. I think the mindset is more tactical and strategic, you make choices for your party and depending of your composition and your own class you play differently. Examples:

- If you have a tank pawn you can as sorcerer take your time casting apocalyptic nukes from the back.
- You can play as assassin taking advantage of you mobility, high damage, range and powerful evasion skills to take priority targets.
- With a fighter you have a balanced setup to close gap, tank and damage, letting other pawns do their shit if they are well equiped.

Also I think there is a point in the game when spamming attack is not going to let you win and you have to use your skills. I think you are missing a lot of content and fun, and have to experiment with more classes. I don't remember myself playing everfall or BBI spamming attacks. Positioning, pawn selection and skill selection were very important.

Maybe you don't like the game, no big deal in that case.

Last edited:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane

You shouldn't talk about DD combat being bad if you think those 3 games are the prime examples of action combat...

yellowcake

Arcane
There is a point early in the game where it appears to you as a rather simple hack and slash, before you are forced or encouraged to explore its systems. Like it is said above, this is a party based game and using skills makes all the difference. Then it kinda grows on you. I would never believe if someone told me I would start to like pawns' silly banter but then when I went solo to the mountains I felt lonely and started missing it tremendously.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Porky is just a retard. But this is not a party based game. Entirely optional, I did totally fine with just my unique pawn to keep me company.

EDIT: and when I have ricochet bolt as a Magick Archer, I basically have an entire party coming out of my bow.

Last edited:

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
A lot of people here are misunderstanding the game.

Dragon's Dogma is designed as a bunch of freely accessible 30 to 45 minute action game modules which you can approach with a customizable move set and whatever handicap you want to give yourself (level, equipment, pawns). I guess pawns can be thought of as "tactical situation creators".

The "RPG" part of the game is functionally a settings menu and it's up to you to create interesting scenarios for yourself using it.

For better or worse, the game makes no attempts to put any constraints on you. So you are free to make things too easy, too tedious etc.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
btw magick archer is the best class of all time
you got explode bolts
you got ricochet bolts
you got flashbang bolts
you got scattershot bolts
you got dagger skills

Basically the vocational equivalent of dopamine

Modron

Arcane
btw magick archer is the best class of all time
you got explode bolts
you got ricochet bolts
you got flashbang bolts
you got scattershot bolts
you got dagger skills

Basically the vocational equivalent of dopamine
Too bad it's not a very fun class to play with no aiming.

Wunderbar

Arcane
For example, in Dark Souls games you have to learn enemy patterns, in KCD you have to react to enemy attacks and learn combo patterns, in Sekiro, you have to parry. In DD, you are just basically spamming the same attacks over and over.
fighter can perform a perfect block, assassin can "easy-kill", agility-based vocations can roll and double-jump.

Black

Arcane
aewZ3Ac.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom