Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Cannot into long games no more

Falksi

Arcane
40-60 hours is the ideal game time for me, few side quests on top of that.

But I do find more modern games harder to get into, not because of the game length, but because so many are so bad at pacing the starting sections well.

They either treat you like a total retard and over-simplify everything, or got to the other extreme and bombard you with systems which should be introduced slowly over several hours.

There are a ton of games which assume the player has already played other games in the same franchize, or games similar too it too.

It's just another example of more fuckwits in the industry not being able to do the basics.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
But I do find more modern games harder to get into, not because of the game length, but because so many are so bad at pacing the starting sections well.

I've been unable to play any Assassin's Creed game since Brotherhood because each time I start it tries doing this 5 hour tutorial nonsense and I can't stand it.

Falksi

Arcane

I've been unable to play any Assassin's Creed game since Brotherhood because each time I start it tries doing this 5 hour tutorial nonsense and I can't stand it.

Have you tried Origins mate? I totally agree about the older AC games, but this is a total departure from those, and that one hooked me in big time.

I must be getting old too. This whole week all I've played is some Stardew Valley and a couple of missions in XCOM... with my damn controller. We come into the world as consoletards, and apparently it's how we go out.

So trve. Once I've experienced the comfort of playing on Xbone Elite controller before HDTV hooked to PC it's hard to go back to keyboard + mouse,, it now feels like being at work or something. I even prefer to play old PC games with their console ports (e.g. PS2: Rune, Kabuto, PSX: Crusader no Remorse ). A shame that propably means death for fpp shooters for me but maybe I will adjust one day and learn to fuckin' aim - there are guys who are pretty good playing on gamepad even with such mouse-centric game like Quake Champions so... Plus, my keyboard + mouse skill declined with years anyway.

Last edited:

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
Ideal game length is 20 to 30 minutes for a single actor real time game, ~1 hour for a single actor turn based game or multiple actor real time game, and up to 8 hours for a turn based game.

If games are longer than this, it's best if they are structured in chunks of the above length and don't waste the player's time with dialogue, cut scenes, empty space etc. Dark souls is a good example of this. Every 30 minutes plays like an arcade game of 30 minute length. Hence its success.

EDIT: The game I'm playing now, Same^3 , is ~36 minutes long. I've sunk at least 15 hours into it and am yet to 1CC it. However, every single second of the game is exhilarating, meaningful, and requires utmost concentration and participation from the player. The result is every 20 minute to 1 hour session grinding through the recoveries and practicing the stages is incredibly enjoyable, and I mourn the day I master this game.

Chaosdwarft

Learned
Patron
I can still play long games in middle age, I just spend a long time doing it. Took me a few months to complete Dying Light, which I did the other day, main quest and every sidequest - 80 hours. 100 hours in Saint's Row 2 the year before that while also 103 hours in Path of Exile. Just takes months for me to do. I'm not trying to cram in every hot game that comes out, like I used to years ago.

I fell for that trap for a long time... After seeing my backlog I decided I would only install 1 game per category until I finish them. If a game I decided to play eventually becomes boring for me I will give it a 2nd chance after a break. If I still don't get hooked by then, I assign it the tag of "why did I buy this game again?", blame myself for succumbing to my own hype and marketing sirens.

Puukko

Arcane
My interest has shifted towards long RPGs - 60-70 hours is a good length, with 100 hours being about the limit where the game has to justify itself. I have moved away from mouse and keyboard somewhat as well, that extra bit of comfort helps with long games.

Farewell young Prince into the night

My interest has shifted towards long RPGs - 60-70 hours is a good length, with 100 hours being about the limit where the game has to justify itself. I have moved away from mouse and keyboard somewhat as well, that extra bit of comfort helps with long games.

Would you please tell me the name of an exceptionally long rpg that you have enjoyed?

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I think a lot of it simply has to do with age and not wanting to put up with certain forms of bullshit anymore, the definition of bullshit and bullshit resistance will vary from person to person.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I tend to like and complete more short games. I think this is because short games tend to have more "bang per time", and longer games tend to have lulls of dullness that are hard to cross. I guess I can forgive faults in a game more easily if they're over quickly. You just can't have 20 hours of grinding in an 8 hour game.

But this doesn't mean I fundamentally like shorter games more. I have 57 hours in Shadow Tactics, and hell, 225 hours in Shadow of War (which I've still never finished!) Epic Games doesn't track hours but I sunk at least 30 hours into Sinking City without once considering quitting. Maybe closer to 40. If a game really hooks me, I'll stick with it.

Puukko

Arcane

Would you please tell me the name of an exceptionally long rpg that you have enjoyed?
In the 100 hour mark Xenoblade Chronicles, around that 60-70h mark several SMTs including IV: Apocalypse, Strange Journey, Nocturne, Persona 2 EP.

Falksi

Arcane
Dragon Age: Inquisition & The Witcher 3 are two long games that are prime examples of how filler & bloat kill a game. Both have around 20-30 hours worth of content worth seeing, the rest is absolute bullshit.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I only hate long games at the moment because if they're really good it takes me away from all the work I need to do. Crusader Kings: 2 is like the perfect game for someone like me that only has a few hours to spar in the week to relax and play a video game. It gets boring in about 2 hours or so then I can easily do my work the rest of the day.

Wunderbar

Arcane

underrail is about 60 hours long and it's great.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Dragon Age: Inquisition & The Witcher 3 are two long games that are prime examples of how filler & bloat kill a game. Both have around 20-30 hours worth of content worth seeing, the rest is absolute bullshit.

I actually disagree. Witcher 3 is just a really long game with awkward pacing at times, kinda not helped by the fact game doesn't exactly telegraph when you're in the final stretch the way you'd expect it nowadays. It gives you a "point of no return" warning when you got the Isle of Mists and yet that warning is there primarily so you can sort out your sidequests some of which depend on the main quest because the game itself still has quite a while to go. With Inquisition you're right on the money in a sense it's a 15 hour game padded out to high heaven. Fact they let you skip progression requirements later on with purchasable Power and Influence must mean someone was aware of it.

Falksi

Arcane

I actually disagree. Witcher 3 is just a really long game with awkward pacing at times, kinda not helped by the fact game doesn't exactly telegraph when you're in the final stretch the way you'd expect it nowadays. It gives you a "point of no return" warning when you got the Isle of Mists and yet that warning is there primarily so you can sort out your sidequests some of which depend on the main quest because the game itself still has quite a while to go. With Inquisition you're right on the money in a sense it's a 15 hour game padded out to high heaven. Fact they let you skip progression requirements later on with purchasable Power and Influence must mean someone was aware of it.

Witcher 3's bloat is largely in it's Open World. An absolute ton of copy-paste nothing, which serves just to make you run from one point to the other.

Visually lush, it matters little because you know that whatever you're running through or over there'll be nothing of value along the way.

To this day the only two RPGs i've played from start to end without getting burned out is Baldur's Gate 2 and Falllout New Vegas.I've played and replayed both of these games atleast 2 times in a row without feeling burned out or tired.People said BG2 is a long game but i actually thought it's was short.

By comparison,i got bored as fuck by Icewind Dale,maybe because of the long dungeons and repetitive combat.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Witcher 3's bloat is largely in it's Open World. An absolute ton of copy-paste nothing, which serves just to make you run from one point to the other.

Visually lush, it matters little because you know that whatever you're running through or over there'll be nothing of value along the way.

Witcher 3 would be a far better game if you took its storyline and bigger sidequests and shrunk them down into a handful of sequential "open areas" nowhere near as big, similar to Witcher 2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom