Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie General guidelines for making a non-shit RPG

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
ITT I go over a list of things that I consider to be essential mistakes to avoid when one is trying to make an RPG that isn't shit/mediocre. This isn't really my opinion, but rather the OBJECTIVE TRUTH™ about RPGs. You can disagree with it, but you're just exercising your right to have a wrong opinion.

DISCLAIMER: EVERYTHING HERE IS 100% TRUTH

TL;DR:
There isn't one. Go back to Twitter's 140 characters cuz this post is gonna be long and hard. Just the way urmom likes it.

I- RNG Chargen/Levelling needs to die in a fire ASAP

Chargen is the most obvious problem, with leveling being more of a gray area. Still, clicking on "new game" and being greeted by an obviously gimped character and the option to reroll him is a pointless waste of the player's time. Point-buy >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> RNG. Coming from GURPS I always loathed AD&D lolrandom chargen and only adopted D&D with my friends after third edition DM book brought along an "alternative ruleset" for pointbuy chargen + average hitpoints per level. "Now THAT is more like it" I thought at the time.
Inb4 "but that existed since" - I only had the AD&D player handbook, sry, shit was super expensive in my country back in the day.

Another less important problem is lolrandom progression, with the mentioned hitpoints being a prime example. I don't really have an issue with things like JA2 random-ish XP gain, but REALLY despise seeing an opportunity being wasted simply because RNG says fuck you. This is a trend I'll repeat in this thread: games should reward good gameplay and punish bad gameplay. I don't give a shit about "muh realism" or any other excuse for "haha, fuck you" mechanics. Speaking of which...

II - "Haha, fuck you" mechanics need to die in a fire, alongside whoever came up with the idea

First, let's make one thing clear: opening the ship's door and eating a rocket does NOT qualify as "haha, fuck you" and neither does getting shot by an alien 40+ squares away in month 2. Point II is specific about pure RNG mechanics that dish out punishments (or rewards, it doesn't really matter) and the player has absolutely no agency over it. Examples: EUIV's shitty Monarch Mana system. An X-Com equivalent would be something like "your scientists went on strike and we lost all progress on Heavy Plasma, lol, get fucked".

It boggles my mind how much kids nowadays WORSHIP RNGesus. The whole battle royal fad is so hard to comprehend as aiming skills can be easily overruled by not getting any weapons and/or getting a shit weapon while your opponent gets something better. Why someone would even play this crap...? I once theorized it had something to do with responsibility being a thing of the past and RNG + teammates being a super convenient scapegoat, but I never bothered making a wall of text about it.

III - Resource management needs to be meaningful or ditched entirely

Inventory management isn't fun. Collecting 53 bottles of water and remembering to right click them every ten minutes is absolutely NOT fun. Managing resources adds an interesting layer of strategy into any game but fake-scarcity is a widespread cancer these days. "Hohoho, don't die due to lack of X, CHARNAME!" and then X can be found on ever corpse, dumpster and barrel, you just need to right click it, alongside Y and Z = fake scarcity = shouldn't be in the game.

I NEVER install any "survival" mods on any game, because it's always the same shit: your sword now needs to be sharpened every 21 beheadings. And the game suddenly becomes a nagging wife going "SEE!? I TOLD YA, I TOLD YA TO REPAIR THE SWORD! Now it broke after 22 beheadings, hope you learned your lesson!!!!". OTOH, look at CIV 4. Strategic resources don't even have a quantity count, but OH BOY, you WILL notice pretty soon the difference between having a source of Iron/Copper and not having it.

IV - Turn economy is real and it's dev-made

Plenty of "RPGs" are now adding a shitload of skills, items and whatnot just for the sake of checking boxes without even considering if the opportunity cost of these things is worth the turn or not. Vigilantes is a fresh offender in my memory, a game that adds smoke, flash, medkits and whatnot and everything is worthless because just having a 6-man firing squad is better in every scenario, lol.

It should've been obvious by now, but death is the best debuff ever. Debuffs should only be included in a game if using them is actually worth the fucking turn. I know a "tactical" game is garbage when I look into all the options apart from direct damage and see shit like "reduces the accuracy of one enemy by 5 percent for two turns". Meanwhile option B is "shoot him in the face for -100% to everything permanently".

What I'm trying to say is that turn economy makes or breaks a game. D:OS was a great game because every turn had plenty of possibilities. D:OS 2 is utter trash because every turn boils down to "break their silver/blue shield OR chain stun whoever lost his shield OR replenish your own shield", despite clearly having more skills than its predecessor. Blackguards OTOH is a game with amazing combat encounters that provide for a lot of variety and fun when it comes to deciding how to use a given character's turn.

V - Build variety should translate into gameplay variety

It's obviously impossible to account for every single choice a player makes while building his character, but shit like "option A goes 'pew pew pew' while option B goes PEW...PEW" is trash design. A LOT of developers like to advertise how their game has so many options, but when you actually install that shit you quickly realize the stuff in your inventory/sheet might be different, but the mechanics are indistinguishable.

Offender example: PoE's implementation of bows, crossbows and guns, where everything is a matter of choosing how fast you wanna shoot. GOOD example: Underrail. Pistol, SMG, Sniper, Knife, Hammer, EVERYTHING has its own gameplay "identity". Wasteland 2 at release was a laughable mess with every gun being a bad AR. Hilariously enough, some dumbasses thought nerfing ARs would actually solve something. :lol:

It's funny, really, how nu-Xcom is an incredibly mediocre game, but I held it as my "low bar standard" for tactical games and it's actually quite surprising how many games completely and utterly FAIL the nu-Xcom standard. A super shallow character system translates into a meh combat system, but some "indie" devs managed to make even shallower combat systems that try to hide their simplicity behind a seemingly complex character system.

VI - Autopiloted turns are also bad

This is a bit of a step up from IV, but also an issue that led some people into believing RT/RTwP was somehow superior to TB. Yeah, if every turn in a TB game boils down to "Fighter moves forward and attacks, mage casts fireball, cleric buffs, Jew subverts host nation" then you might as well make shit real time. That was Baldur's Gate/Diablo's greatest "discovery". If the moment-to-moment gameplay is gonna be repetitive as fuck, you might as well make it all go faster.

And that's the cornerstone of designing a good TB game: you need to justify the slow pace of TB with an engaging turn economy. Battle Brothers is another recent "success story" and I believe its success are mostly due to the fact that you get a 12-man squad and things still feel like you have more than one or two options for every character. In a bad TB game you can easily have a 4 or even 3 man-party and every turn boils down to pressing the same buttons over and over.

And feel I must mention Blackguards here again, a game where every turn of every fight feels fresh and engaging.

VII - "Reverse difficulty" is a shitty meme. It never was and never will be a problem

Aren't RPGs about starting small and working your way up? Then where the fuck did the "reverse difficulty" meme even came from? Because there are really just two options: either your character is growing in power and will eventually outscale enemies in a noticeable way, or you're spinning wheels and will eventually be outscaled. You can have a better or a worse sense of progression, but you'll eventually fall under these two categories. There is no third option AFAIK.

Well, there kinda is...

VIII - Gimmick fights need to die in a fire

I define "gimmick" as something that completely overrules regular game mechanics in favor of something "new" that isn't explained anywhere and isn't used again, except in the case of the gimmick fight being recycled. Shit like "this boss can only be killed while wielding the Sword of Biggus Dickus. And then you can 1-shot him" is garbage and it isn't limited to RPGs. I ditched "The Old Blood" after running into one two many enemies that needed to be killed via AWSUM MELEE CUTSCENES that are somehow better than bullets.

Don't confuse this point with unique mechanics in general. A fire elemental being immune to fire is fine assuming every other fire elemental in the game is also immune.

And in order to avoid yet another item, I'm gonna use this one to include another shitty tired trope: fake combat sequences that are actually scripted "deaths". If you want a cutscene, then put a fucking cutscene, don't make me fight big mace guy for an hour, only to google and discover getting one-shot is in the script of KCD's super awsum story. Fuck off.

IX - NPCs need to at least RESEMBLE a fucking human bean

Witcher 3 got infinite praises for being the first AAA title in a long while to present NPC interaction that felt even remotely human, in stark contrast with the constant interaction with liberal propaganda stereotypes and/or walking and talking wikia articles of the mainstream games that came before.

Protip: if your NPC can be defined as "a person who stands for X" or "a kinky guy/gal/tranny that likes to do XYZ in bed" then your NPC is trash and all interactions with him/her can be defined as "trash text". Modern Bioware games are examples of the former while D:OS 2 is filled to the brim with the latter. It's like every character is a horny mutt desperately trying to hump your leg while also trying to convert you this his shitty cause. Hopefully both.

Also, le reddit "oh so quirky" dialog lines are not amusing. I just glanced at some of Disco's screenshots and immediately thought "who the fuck speaks like that? Is this set in an alternate reality or something?". That's more trash text, but I guess some people enjoy it.

X - Dumbing down doesn't improve sales, but "incline" doesn't necessarily sell either

It is an often parroted argument in the 'Dex that dumbing games down = more sales. That is false, or at least a half truth. A game doesn't sell because it's sterilized and designed-by-committee shit, it just so happens that the things we value just don't increase sales enough to justify their cost most of the time. We notice things the average player doesn't, so devs can cut corners with minimal losses. That doesn't mean the corners cut magically made the game sell more.

However, "dumbing down" a game comes at the cost of diluting its identity, its..."essence" or "soul" if you will. It backfires more often than people around here notice and/or are willing to admit. Take FEAR for instance. One of the best shooters of all time that simply decided to ditch its own identity in order to appeal to the mythical "broader console audience" in its shitty sequel FEAR 2. What happened instead was the franchise dug its own grave and was eventually forgotten. Do you hear about FEAR sequels, reboots? No, because the game was snuffed out in its cradle, drowned in a sea of similar looking and feeling generic military shooters. It gave up on being "FEAR" and decided to be "Generic military shooter #1233425546 + spooky ghost girl". It failed.

Devs need to be on the same page as their core supporters/customer base at all times. RPGs are a niche interest, they will never sell Cowaduty numbers, but betraying your core supporters isn't 100% inconsequential. Path of Exile "stole" loads of Diablo fans, Amplitude "stole" from Firaxis and so on. Even if the throne remains vacant for a really long time, eventually someone will rise to take it. Remember all those threads about W3 outbiowaring bioware? Yeah. That eventually happens.

XI - More dialog doesn't make things better

"AH, FRESH MEAT!!!" - The Butcher, 1996. Still fondly remembered more than two decades later. So simple and elegant, one line of dialog tells you everything you need to know about a character, his personality, his life goals AND how the encounter is gonna play out. Fucking memorable is what it was. And a stark contrast with "lemme tell you how I feel about bigots" you see in every single modern RPG.

You can't force shit into being memorable. And sometimes a character can be unremarkable while his role on a somewhat interesting story makes him memorable. Eg: Yoshimo. Devs need to stop making characters that just try too hard and stand out horribly.

Speaking of trying too hard, I'm done for the day. Happy reading, boys. :positive:

Last edited:

S.torch

Arbiter
I read all the post. I was expecting something along the edge. But it turned out that you wrote some legitime complains.
Here's a brofist for you.

Why someone would even play this crap...?

You can ask the same question about gambling games.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
"AH, FRESH MEAT!!!" - The Butcher, 1996. Still fondly remembered more than two decades later. So simple and elegant, one line of dialog tells you everything you need to know about a character, his personality, his life goals AND how the encounter is gonna play out.

:bro:

Viata

Arcane
And in order to avoid yet another item, I'm gonna use this one to include another shitty tired trope: fake combat sequences that are actually scripted "deaths". If you want a cutscene, then put a fucking cutscene, don't make me fight big mace guy for an hour, only to google and discover getting one-shot is in the script of KCD's super awsum story. Fuck off.
This shit is so normal in jrpg and I hate it so much.

Generic-Giant-Spider

I wish more RPGs that love to murder you with dialogue put more of that work out of paragraph slabs of text and more into your character. Imagine if more RPGs recognized things like your alignment and your class and made your options drastically different. A Paladin speaks properly and with confidence, a Fighter is very direct and doesn't mince words, a Mage or Priest is your resident paragraph machine, etc. You can even have more fun with this by having certain NPCs interact differently around you. A shady figure will give your Paladin some lame runaround or flat out lie to him, but if you were a Rogue you could engage in some good old thieves cant to get what you're looking for meanwhile a city guard would react much more favorably to a Paladin while a Rogue confronting them may as well be turning himself in.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Eh, I agree with all but I- RNG Chargen/Levelling needs to die in a fire ASAP

Sorry, a variety of character generation types is part of the fun. Maybe it's been bastardized by current conventions, but I could spend 3 hours rolling up a party. No shame. This is why I come to the table. This is part of the enjoyment. Creating a Wizardry 7 party is a ritual mired in equal parts horror and beauty. I can't give it up. Don't take this away from games.

V_K

Arcane
First, let's make one thing clear: opening the ship's door and eating a rocket does NOT qualify as "haha, fuck you" and neither does getting shot by an alien 40+ squares away in month 2.
I actually disagree with that - if the game doesn't provide any way to become aware of these possibilities in advance and mitigate them, other than dying to them once and reloading afterwards, then it's very much "haha, fuck you" and needs to go.
I define "gimmick" as something that completely overrules regular game mechanics in favor of something "new" that isn't explained anywhere and isn't used again, except in the case of the gimmick fight being recycled.
Once again, this needs a bit of clarification. For example, a lot of encounters in Blackguards have unique mechanics to them, but since you mention BG in a positive context in other paragraph, I assume that's not what you had in mind?
On the other hand, in Legacy: Realm of Terror every single monster type has a special gimmick you need to figure out - like zombies ignoring you if you hold a special effigy or demons dying to holy water thrown at them - but in that case it's not really a gimmick anymore but rather a core mechanic.
Inventory management isn't fun
I would say, it's not fun on its own. And it's not limited to resource management - equipment management in a game like DOS is just as much of chore. Moreso really, because resources are at least expendable. Counterintuitively, the right solution here is to have more inventory management, not less: 1) have the inventory extremely limited; 2) have encumbrance translate into some meaningful mechanic (like decreasing the action points pool in Realms of Arkania); 3) design loot with the first two points in mind - et voila, you've made looting into a meaningful trade-off between minimizing encumbrance and being prepared to all sorts of shit.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I agree with pretty much everything, except the bit about RNG. I like a bit of randomness in games, how it reflects the chaos outside of your control and how well you (your character, really) are prepared against it.

I don't know why people like RNGs, though it certainly isn't something recent - it was there from the beginning of computer games and a very common element of physical games before computers. Hell, people play "raw" dice and according to Wikipedia the oldest known dice are from 2800-2500 BC, so people's fascination with randomness in games has been around for a while :-P.

Tim the Bore

Scholar
Overall, I agree. That said, about point X:

It's not about "dumbing down" the game, but rather about making it less specific. By "specific" I mean "about something". The more specific your game is, the more loyal core fanbase will be - and smaller. The more audience you want to have, the less specific your game must be, because in the end of the day, most people don't share the same hobies and interests.

So, when making AAA - and having a powerful marketing machine - it's not about making a specific type of experience, but rather about making it's "not specific" enough without being too obvious about it (this is crucial). It may seem as if that would make players like your games less, but this is where the marketing is kicking and by pure social pressure you are making sure that everybody want to play this game anyway, to avoid being left out. And then they will like this game, because everybody else are. But dombing down is more of a necessary effect that a goal itself.

Basically, following your ideas would be good for indie and AA kind of games, but not AAA (it would be too good at being competent at combat). But RPGs don't belong in AAA space anyway.

Trashos

Arcane
IX - NPCs need to at least RESEMBLE a fucking human bean

Most of Dostoevsky's characters are very one-dimensional, each character being a vehicle to explore a very specific idea. It can be done well, it just requires talent, just like everything else.

Trashos

Arcane
VII - "Reverse difficulty" is a shitty meme. It never was and never will be a problem

Aren't RPGs about starting small and working your way up? Then where the fuck did the "reverse difficulty" meme even came from? Because there are really just two options: either your character is growing in power and will eventually outscale enemies in a noticeable way, or you're spinning wheels and will eventually be outscaled. You can have a better or a worse sense of progression, but you'll eventually fall under these two categories. There is no third option AFAIK.

I am not sure what we are talking about here. Is "reverse difficulty" the game getting harder as we level up? If so, why is it an issue?

Butter

Arcane
Patron

I am not sure what we are talking about here. Is "reverse difficulty" the game getting harder as we level up? If so, why is it an issue?
I think it means games starting out hard and getting easy as fuck by the end. This is counter to how most games progress, but it's consistent with a character starting out weak and getting stronger. If it doesn't make sense for your enemies to be getting any stronger, naturally the content should get easier over time. Plenty of RPGs have managed to make late game enemies tougher than early game enemies though, so I'm not sure why this point is here.

Trashos

Arcane
VIII - Gimmick fights need to die in a fire
I define "gimmick" as something that completely overrules regular game mechanics in favor of something "new" that isn't explained anywhere and isn't used again, except in the case of the gimmick fight being recycled. Shit like "this boss can only be killed while wielding the Sword of Biggus Dickus. And then you can 1-shot him" is garbage and it isn't limited to RPGs. I ditched "The Old Blood" after running into one two many enemies that needed to be killed via AWSUM MELEE CUTSCENES that are somehow better than bullets.

Don't confuse this point with unique mechanics in general. A fire elemental being immune to fire is fine assuming every other fire elemental in the game is also immune.

I do not understand this part, either, and need further explanation. You say Fire Elementals are fine (and I agree), but bosses are not repeatable. So I do not understand how you differentiate between "gimmick" and "unique" fundamentally.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
I wrote the OP in a single stroke, putting all the ideas I've been rambling about in the last few days. There are typos and it looks like some points need clarification. I'll answer here and maybe update the OP.

I do not understand this part, either, and need further explanation. You say Fire Elementals are fine (and I agree), but bosses are not repeatable. So I do not understand how you differentiate between "gimmick" and "unique" fundamentally.

If the rules of the game slightly bend to favor a boss, I don't see it as a gimmick. If everything gets flushed down the toilet and replaced with one very specific and arbitrary thing you either do or lose 100% of the time, then it's a gimmick. In tale of Wuxia, for example, the final boss and his buddies are all invulnerable until one of your guys goes down and comes back through the "power of friendship". Then one of the villains says mean things about how your parents died and from that point onward you can damage enemies AND the main character now deals double damage. That's how you beat the final boss. Try to play the fight "normally" and you'll get rekt 100% of the time. This is an example of an atrocious gimmick. None of these mechanics showed up at any point in time before the final confrontation and whenever party members went down up until that point they STAYED down. How tf is the player supposed to GUESS that there is a specific and unlikely to happen naturally chain of events that he MUST trigger in order to win?

Another example of gimmick is in Median XL's Bazur fight. Shit flies from everywhere and if you stand still, you die. Your fire resistance isn't taken into account, lol.

Dork Souls 3 had a dragon you can only kill by climbing a building and then dropping onto his head and the aforementioned sword of biggus dickus fight. In both scenarios the game's combat system gets thrown out the window and the encounter needs to be resolved via one gimmicky solution instead. It's terrible design.

"Reverse difficulty" means that late game is much easier than early-to-mid game. Some people whine about this "problem", but as I argued in the OP, that is not a real problem and doesn't deserve a "solution". I suspect this line of thinking is what lead us down the horrible path of enemies scaling to the player's level and all other forms of "soft" enemy scaling.

I'm one of the few people who enjoyed Storm of Zehir. That game has a surprisingly good late game encounter design and the difficulty drop once I finally managed to assemble my "dream party" was very noticeable compared to the first time I engaged the final boss with a "meh" party. That's how late game should be designed, IMO. Hard, but static.

Last edited:
If the rules of the game slightly bend to favor a boss, I don't see it as a gimmick. If everything gets flushed down the toilet and replaced with one very specific and arbitrary thing you either do or lose 100% of the time, then it's a gimmick. In tale of Wuxia, for example, the final boss and his buddies are all invulnerable until one of your guys goes down and comes back through the "power of friendship". Then one of the villains says mean things about how your parents die and from that point onward you can damage enemies AND the main character now deals double damage. That's how you beat the final boss. Try to play the fight "normally" and you'll get rekt 100% of the time. This is an example of an atrocious gimmick. None of these mechanics showed up at any point in time before the final confrontation and whenever party members went down up until that point they STAYED down. How tf is the player supposed to GUESS that there is a specific and unlikely to happen naturally chain of events that he MUST trigger in order to win?
There's not much to figure out, enemies being invincible ensures one of your guys will go down eventually, and you probably can't try to escape the final boss fight so you'll keep fighting and realize you can damage them now. The issue seems to be that it's essentially a playable cutscene and not a real test of your party's power, which storyfags will like but may leave the combatfags with blue balls. The final bosses in Earthbound (he gives you an obscure hint of what to do during the fight, but sounds like he's just bragging) and Chrono Cross (isn't invincible but will escape if you don't go in knowing what to do from clues you got earlier, giving you no resolution and cut to credits) sound like they are harsher than this one.

Trashos

Arcane
Eyestabber, I get your points now. Yes, maybe OP needs a couple of clarifications, I usually have no issues following your writings, but here a few points were not that clear.

"Reverse difficulty" means that late game is much easier than early-to-mid game. Some people whine about this "problem", but as I argued in the OP, that is not a real problem and doesn't deserve a "solution". I suspect this line of thinking is what lead us down the horrible path of enemies scaling to the player's level and all other forms of "soft" enemy scaling.

I am not sure I agree on this. A lot of RPGs become too easy from a point on, and thus become boring. If it is only very late-game then I welcome it (reward time!), but often such a thing happens way too early for my liking (midgame or even early midgame, especially for games with a lot of leveling up). I agree that level-scaling is not a good solution. Personally, I also hate the increase-numbers-of-opponents solution. Still, the developers need a plan so that the game does not become too easy for a long time as the player gains power.

I do not know what the solution to this problem is, unless the devs are willing to get into heavily handcrafted encounter design.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
Power curve is always an important concern, but maybe I addressed a very "niche" criticism. Dunno. My point is simple: late game being easy on average isn't a big deal in and on itself. When the late game easy peasy-ness starts getting pushed into the mid-game, I agree, it's a problem.

I'm kinda coming from the perspective of the cancerous BG 2's "balance" lunatics that decided Irenicus being super easy for a Kensai/Mage and his OP friends was an "issue" that needed solving. All mods that address this imaginary "issue" are undiluted garbage. Notice how Time Stop got BANNED from future Biosidian games? IIRC NWN 1 had a nerfed version of it and then GONE. Into the memory hole you go, Timestop, you're "too OP" for kids these days. Nevermind the fact that Timestop was FUN and unique and a late-game reward. :roll:

Trashos

Arcane
To be fair, Time Stop did not exist in original Shadows of Amn, the Wizard never reached lvl 9 spells with the XP cap. There was exactly 1 Time Stop scroll for a single use, that was all. In that sense, I will have to agree that the Shadows of Amn content had been balanced to be played without Time Stop.

In a more general sense, I agree that some fuck-you-overpowering abilities very late in the game are not necessarily bad.

Metronome

Learned
I wish more RPGs that love to murder you with dialogue put more of that work out of paragraph slabs of text and more into your character. Imagine if more RPGs recognized things like your alignment and your class and made your options drastically different. A Paladin speaks properly and with confidence, a Fighter is very direct and doesn't mince words, a Mage or Priest is your resident paragraph machine, etc. You can even have more fun with this by having certain NPCs interact differently around you. A shady figure will give your Paladin some lame runaround or flat out lie to him, but if you were a Rogue you could engage in some good old thieves cant to get what you're looking for meanwhile a city guard would react much more favorably to a Paladin while a Rogue confronting them may as well be turning himself in.

I always liked this idea myself. It would take some time to do, but I think it may be be worth putting into a game. However, some people don't like it when you put words into their character's mouths, which seems like a valid counterpoint. I think it would work better with party based games rather than just the solo PC. Since the player isn't expecting to speak for all of them. But a few times I've seen people object to it even within a party.

For example, the game says "The evil character laughs maniacally" or something when the player intended to make them a shady schemer. Incursion: Halls of the Goblin King planned something that would might have worked here. You pick out each character's personality on it's own (No alignment issues) which would impact how they talk. But the developer never got around to implementing it.

I also worry about my characters parroting the developer's political views, unless it fits their alignment/statistics (though the dev is going to be "good" isn't he?). I don't know how many people I can trust to be unbiased in that way. You know, so I can have character who disagrees with the developer strongly but isn't portrayed as evil/ignorant/retarded. The Incursion developer showed some bias while I was reading the lore and I could see that as becoming obnoxious if it was coming out of my character's mouth.

Debuffs should only be included in a game if using them is actually worth the fucking turn. I know a "tactical" game is garbage when I look into all the options apart from direct damage and see shit like "reduces the accuracy of one enemy by 5 percent for two turns". Meanwhile option B is "shoot him in the face for -100% to everything permanently".

Nice rant, particularly this part. This seems to get worse and worse as time goes on. Boring useless shit like that is a major part of how Sawyer made Pillars of Eternity Deadfire on arrival like some hollow-born Dhyrwudean.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom