Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

230/150 You are over-encumbered.

eXalted

Arcane
No, your game don't need an inventory carry capacity mechanic if it just adds annoyance and no complexity whatsoever. Even Pillars of Eternity understands that by adding an unlimited chest to your party.

If inventory management is a main part of your game and adds something to it (aka survival games like Resident Evil), yes it's welcome.

No, I'm not a hoarder and yes, this is Underrail inspired thread.

Citizen

Playing stalker: SoC atm and from initial hate I went to loving the 50kg weight limit. It adds some additional planning of what weapon you're going to take on a mission, because you are limited to 1, max 2, full scale weapons (AR, sniper rifle or shotgun), and getting a gun that is both suited for a situation (mutant hunting in close quarters or shooting bandits in the open) and utilizes the same ammo your opponents use makes a HUGE difference. It also makes you give up hoarding heavy equipment for sale and focusing on scavenging the stuff your character need (medkits/ammo/grenades/artifacts) and ignoring the trashloot around

But playing BG2 with similar weight restrictions would probably make me ragequit tho

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
It's necessary in games where players can sell all their crap for big money, but often it's only a minor inconvenience for the truly dedicated anyway, just look at all the effort people made in Dead Money to get all the gold bars out.

Also tends to be essential for them "survival" types, weight management is important in games like Anomaly, at the same time you really can't sell much of the stuff you loot off of people so it works out in the end.

Silentstorm

Learned
Got to agree with this. Encumbrance is a nice idea, but often kills fun more than it creates it.
This, some games balance it well that it actually adds a layer of strategy and tension where you think hard about what items to bring, in a lot of games however, it translates into a game that isn't very hard trying to make up for it just by giving you less stuff to use, but it doesn't matter because it's still not that hard.

All it does is making sure that you make more travels just to sell stuff, go back for some items or, you know, just discourages creativity because why the hell will you take away stuff that's working for something else unless it has much better stats, and less things to use means less things to try or combine.

It can be done well, but a lot of games really just make it so you have less stuff to use and maybe a bit more enforced travels and grinding.

eXalted

Arcane
It adds some additional planning of what weapon you're going to take on a mission...
This is what I mean by games where the inventory management actually adds something to the gameplay. It's not there because "a lot of games do it" and "muh immersion".

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Encumbrance can be interesting if it's to make you think about what items you bring on a sortie.

It's rarely fun if it only limits how much loot you can bring back.

I fought hard for that loot, I deserve to keep it without tons of fucking inventory management busywork!

Reinhardt

Arcane
h5bq94b5x7m11.jpg

Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
You don't need to loot everything in Underrail and imo the immersion of not being able to outweighs the annoyance cost. Also if you don't use CheatEngine for that game... you should.

Citizen

I fought hard for that loot, I deserve to keep it without tons of fucking inventory management busywork!

Daggerfall did it best by giving you a cart. There's no reason not to scavenge a daungeon for loot and pack it into a cart for sale after you done genociding the mooks inside

Alphons

Cipher
Underrail's main themes are building a new future, letting go of the past and learning from mistakes.

If you avoid overencumbrance it means that the old world no longer weighs you down and you're ready to forge your own future (sacrifice charons in Forge or buy decorations for your home).

Howewer if you use cheat engine you prove that you're no better than Biocorp and Lemurians who were also both heavily reliant on their tech, and you're doomed to repeat their mistakes.

Learning from mistakes comes from constantly reloading/ completely rerolling your build and actually receiving experience from studying old world junk.

TLDR- where you see annoyances, I see meaningful mechanics that complement the game's main themes. Of course you need a high IQ to understand it.

PS: To similar minded individuals- I still don't quite understand the symbolism of locusts. Am I on the right track with the ancient Mesopotamian cult of fertility, or is it more in line with the role of locust in the Old Testament?

vonAchdorf

Arcane
It's only a problem because CRPGs aren't modeling followers but instead (unrealistically) have their highly specialized adventurers work solo without any support characters.
DnD got it right that highly capable super humans don't walk around alone, doing menial tasks and chores, while their time would be better used for important stuff.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
No, your game don't need an inventory carry capacity mechanic if it just adds annoyance and no complexity whatsoever. Even Pillars of Eternity understands that by adding an unlimited chest to your party.

If inventory management is a main part of your game and adds something to it (aka survival games like Resident Evil), yes it's welcome.

No, I'm not a hoarder and yes, this is Underrail inspired thread.

What else would you like? Quest compas & GPS maybe?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
There are games where encumbrance is a pointless annoyance that's there because it's a feature that exists in other RPGs, but Underrail isn't one of them. Styg made fun of you with that NPC in the big city.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Inventory management is fine if the game is designed around it.
  1. In games like Skyrim or even Morrowind, carry weight limits are pointless, and inventory management is more about "drop the shit you don't need so that searching through your inventory doesn't take 3 hours" than "drop the shit you don't need so you can carry shit you need".
  2. In modded New Vegas, the carry weight limit serves a purpose because you can't stock up on ammo, weapons and items as well as you would want to, forcing you to choose between the most useful options. But in vanilla New Vegas, you can carry so much stuff that the limit only becomes an annoyance.
Pretty much every mechanic which intends to limit the player becomes an annoyance if it doesn't function as it should.

Harthwain

Magister
Kind of bizarre that more games haven't done this in the 24 years hence.
Kingdom Come: Deliverance allowed you to store extra stuff on your horse. The Witcher 3 increases the overall amount you can carry after you get a better saddle for your horse. Baldur's Gate II had the Bag of Holding. Neo Scavenger has stuff like bags, sacks, backpacks and even shopping carts to help you in your muder-hobo adventure. Neo Scavenger is probably the best game, where inventory management was done right.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom