Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Screenshot thread

Viata

Arcane
Damn, getting the record on first try is such a great feeling:
kYjMI9k.gif

hpXJQnA.png

DraQ

Arcane
Damn, getting the record on first try is such a great feeling:
kYjMI9k.gif

hpXJQnA.png
That's just your best score.
For instance:
rOFPUIs.gif

Well, there are 3 different scores, one of them being the cycles.

By the way, apparently the best solution to that level is like 15 cycles.
The fuck? I can only go down to 17 and it looks like maximum rate:
XF5W9eM.gif

Smol, more normal solution:
vlmokDc.gif

Last edited:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I see. I didn't know that. Thank you!
So there are 3 different limits: least area, least cycles and least costs, right?

Yes. The histograms show how you did compared to the rest of the people playing.
If you're on the highest bar, it just means you're average.

HansDampf

Arcane
Opus Magnum is really great for the first half of the campaign. But after chapter 2 you've seen almost everything. There are no surprises except for the bonus chapter at the end. It's probably a good way to get into the genre. But coming from SpaceChem it's a mechanical downgrade. Too bad that game looks like ass in comparison.

Speaking of which

Viata

Arcane
I like how the process of developing this things goes. First you spend some time thinking how to solve it:
WtrT4qh.gif

It's the usual "it's ugly, slow, but works". Then you starts to think that you can optimize this shit(you are an engineer and the maintenance of this ugly shit may kills you) and you start to see you could remove some cycles and getting something a lit bit faster:
XH05esG.gif

Now you start thinking that maybe you can decrease the cost of it:
BJnIrYE.gif

While this pleases you, it doesn't look as ugly as the last version, but it is slower. And everyone hates when a new update makes the game slower. Now, it would be greater if you could keep this cost, but slow down the cycles. Thankfully, the market creates cheaper arm that can be used:
jpnzSxR.gif

Thus we got to the second version, but cheaper. While this is far from the best model, I think this it the best I can get without changing the whole model. But in that case, it's better to start it over than trying to remove things here and there from this model. And that is why I may suffer from autism and why this is a fun game.

Last edited:

DraQ

Arcane
I usually try to make the solution (both the code and mechanism) as simple as possible, and also involve spinny things (rotors give opportunity to "wind" some shapes plus they sometimes allow omitting reset phase - and they look cooler).
lNHuGKT.gif

Here I have manage to sperg some cost and area (just area would be easy with telescoping arms) out of cycle optimized stabilized water without dropping speed.
In before someone puts all those arms on 1-2 super-tight looping tracks without losing speed for maximum autism - I tried but for some reason kept fucking up the code.

I thought I had a genius idea to drop one of the arms and a bit of track, but it turned out you really need to be dead-center on glyph for it to work, almost dead-center doesn't count.

Curratum

For some reason I only rank well on the "Area" parameter, even though I never optimize, they just come out that way.

Viata

Arcane
I have not used track enough. So far only twice, the first time it teaches you and another one I can't remember now. I'm still at chapter 1(the one after the tutorial).
HyEKn1J.gif

I went full autism on this one because I didn't even see it gives me 3 reagent until I finished it. So far I'm just learning stuff, for example, in this stage I learned how you could keep bonding reagents since I thought you could only do it up to 4(the gliph of multi-bonding only has space for four reagents). So that is cool. After I finish it I'll go back to try to go low cycle as possible.

Curratum

Y U NO SPINNY THINGS

As I said, I always, unwillingly, intrinsically optimize for Area. And mine's 30, while yours is nearly twice that.

I wonder if that's some leftover Spacechem thing where I always ran out of space and had to think as compact as possible?

DraQ

Arcane
Y U NO SPINNY THINGS

As I said, I always, unwillingly, intrinsically optimize for Area. And mine's 30, while yours is nearly twice that.
But less than half cycles and cost.
I usually try to keep things compact, but that usually just means avoiding dead space between components. Swinging out a product or unused part of rotor can add a lot of area but feels better than just having a small bunch of long arms swinging stuff back and forth across several screens of sparse components.

Incremental upgrade:
fL49LYj.gif

Last edited:

HansDampf

Arcane
You are working on a hex field, and rotation is the cheapest and fastest method to move molecules along even large distances. Using only tracks and piston arms feels unnatural.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
civ4.jpg

Vercingetorix finds himself in a bit of a pickle during the battle of Alesia Djenne.

civ5.jpg

But he returns home safely just a short 40 years later. Hail to the chief.

Dramart

Learned
Baldur's Gate 2
The battle begins
HsWyG68.png

Drizzt (he didn't do anything in the battle)
U0L9qkq.png

Viconia destroying the enemy with level six spells
Z5HmHxL.png

Bye Bodhi
dqnPbH0.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom