Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Anyone manged to do the musical puzzle? I got no clue and I really didn't want to spend a lot of time on it so googled it and apparently it gets randomized or some shit every playthrough, kinda reminds me with the Deep Cavern final puzzle, people said it changes for everyone, I hated that as well iirc, didn't bother doing it so at least its optional which is good.
I used the internet thing :dealwithit:

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
So I finally finished Underrail + Expedition in its entirety.

Overall great game but not without major flaws.

1. The game does not respect your time. Too many things in expedition and deep caverns that are easy to miss or finish without googling. Too much backtracking and just in general complete disregard for players annoyance. E,g the elevator when you finish the game did not have to be 5 tiles away - fucking WHY. Nor did the dev have to make you manually walk all the way back to SGS, speak with council, rest, and then go back yet again.
2. The mechanics of expedition are not explained well enough to justify a time limit.
3. As psi build the items are really boring and the only thing worth crafting seems to be a universal crit helmet and a med freq shield. Armor seems to be kind of pointless since most areas have damage of particular type for which unique armors you get through the game are more than sufficient.
4. Inventory management is aids and I ended up playing with infinite inventory to retain my sanity.
5. Exploration reward in terms of loot is almost entirely trash. Lockpicking and hacking seem to be only useful for quests. However, the lore/quest exploration is great.

IMO just scrap mercantile skill to make most good stuff come from exploration/hunting and adjust traders to have money $$.

6. Crafting UI is poorly organized.

jungl

Augur
game could use a fast travel mechanic. If you don't have enough sneak skill can encounter enemies. You do A LOT of backtracking in this game most backtracking in game I seen in decades. It adds nothing to the enjoyment of the game. Underrail has come a long way I remember when psi did not regen and the game and you have to completely rely on ampules.

Xeon

Augur
They added fast travel like feature with the Dude's Juice thing allowing warping from place to place. By far the best thing from the expansion for me.

Tigranes

Arcane
Speaking of that...
I wanted to get into this game. I reached the arena I think, at which point I was hauling around a giant pile of loot very slowly to sell somewhere. I got bored doing this and lost interest. I probably didn't need to do it, but damn the loot was worth a load of e-giblits or whatever. Games that do this need to have a wheelbarrow or something to carry all the crap to the vendors.

I might come back to it later, but I'll have to restart because I forgot what the plot was.

"I did a boring and pointless and dumb thing that I didn't want to do over and over and over again because some numbers on a screen told me to"

Will this man explode once we tell him you get more money than you can spend in this game without trying

Technomancer

Liturgist
you get more money than you can spend
Underrail did pretty good in money sink opportunities. They are mostly pointless but they are there. The house is unreasonably expensive, everything jet ski costs space rockets and you can ruin your fortune in minutes, melting your charons in vain hope of getting that mythic Q160 super steel slab.

Tigranes

Arcane
All of which are pointless, except for super slab (where you either spend a few thousand on a 95% good thing, or spend a few million and hours on a 98% good thing.)

If somebody wants to crawl around underrail lugging 800 pounds for hours to buy a better jetski, that's fine with me. My point is if you don't want to, you can leave 90% of loot on the ground, even guns and armour, and never notice a thing.

Parabalus

Arcane
All of which are pointless, except for super slab (where you either spend a few thousand on a 95% good thing, or spend a few million and hours on a 98% good thing.)

If somebody wants to crawl around underrail lugging 800 pounds for hours to buy a better jetski, that's fine with me. My point is if you don't want to, you can leave 90% of loot on the ground, even guns and armour, and never notice a thing.

Money is pretty tight on the higher difficulties after they nerfed the sell value to just 1/4.

It's definitely a concern for most of the game.

And you'll need to cough up some money for jet skis if you're melee and want to clear the expedition areas.

Xeon

Augur
Yeah, on dominating, stuff sell for crap.

I mostly followed Ouroboroses's build. He does a lot of crafting and selling and making decent income on dominating. Kinda wish he played Expedition tho, he prepares thoroughly for every encounter so would have been nice to see what he does for Expedition's area with the time limit and different areas.

hell bovine

Arcane
Money is pretty tight on the higher difficulties after they nerfed the sell value to just 1/4.
Eh, I'm playing a dominating wizard atm (so not worth it, I see no improvements to enemy ai, only more bugs everywhere) and money is not an issue. Expedition brought more looting opportunities, so there is even less point to buying stuff.

Sheepherder

Augur
Yeah, money becomes a non issue after GMS even on dominating. And even earlier, if you know where to look or if your build doesn't use ammo.

Metronome

Learned
"I did a boring and pointless and dumb thing that I didn't want to do over and over and over again because some numbers on a screen told me to"

Will this man explode once we tell him you get more money than you can spend in this game without trying

I don't know why I didn't think of this before.

Though, and I might be remembering this wrong, around that time some guy needed a large sum of money I didn't have to do something... It's starting to come back to me now. He needed to fix a thing and I didn't have the money for it. It seemed important to the plot. Or maybe I was gathering up money again after this to recover from the loss. It seems a bit cynical to anticipate the economy of the game will be broken, but fair enough.

Tigranes

Arcane

I don't know why I didn't think of this before.

Though, and I might be remembering this wrong, around that time some guy needed a large sum of money I didn't have to do something... It's starting to come back to me now. He needed to fix a thing and I didn't have the money for it. It seemed important to the plot. Or maybe I was gathering up money again after this to recover from the loss. It seems a bit cynical to anticipate the economy of the game will be broken, but fair enough.

You need the money if you lack certain skills to bring price down or do it yourself. But you can actually go and do a gazillion other quests without having to be stuck on that particular one.

I can sympathise how a first time player might feel like they have to go scrounging for money.

Xeon

Augur
Kinda wish if you could make a thermal goggles or something and you could instantly reveal Crawlers or any hidden enemy if they lack protection from it. Like the cameras or some robots instantly finding you even if you are stealthed or using Cloaking.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
RPGs are about power accrual and part of that is money, especially in a game like Underrail where consumables are useful and the best gear has to be crafted from store-bought parts. So wondering why people want to collect and sell loot is kind of like wondering why they want to fight and level up, it's part of the fun of the game. I don't know when exactly I got over the money curve but in the early game I was always light on stims, psi hypos, and grenades, so that taught me to horde and sell everything.

The main problem I think is that Underrail's economy doesn't make any sense. First you have the weirdness where money is actually worth 10 moneys or 30 moneys, which only confuses things. This would be like if everyone in america counted their wealth by how many 20 dollar bills they had. Then you have every gun valued around 4k+ and no one wants them; these things don't compute. If guns aren't that valuable, stop assigning high value numbers to them. A gun isn't worth 9000 units of value, it's worth 300 pieces of steel (150 when you sell it), which is only 1/20 the needed amount to get a chance at a good crafting item. That puts the value equation into better perspective.

I don't see any good reason to have this confusing monetary system in the game, but then I am also not an auteur indie dev.

Sheepherder

Augur
You get a lot of money from quests. Selling the reef glider and acorn will net you something +30k charons. Enough to buy benches, crafting components, super steel and whatever consumables or ammo you use. No need to keep collecting and selling loot throughout the whole game.
And if you're still short on money, why lug around heavy shit like ARs, shotguns or armor? Even new players should realize that there's no point in carrying every piece of garbage they find, when it sells for a charon or two and there's a good chance no one is going to buy it anyway. Instead pick up a couple of mechanical pistols, shields and energy pistols, repair and sell.

Anyway, I finished the Dominating knife build.
Tchort was an otk, didn't use stasis or wall. Used drugs, ran up to it and attacked.
aYZ6CHs.jpg
Faceless. Very clean fight. I forgot where the traps are at first so I didn't manage to do it on first try. I also thought Commander had thick skull, but incap from cheap shots still procs on him.
iAQg6YG.jpg
RKS7mBQ.jpg
Shanked a faceless so hard, Commander got scared.
UlChZnD.jpg
BIG INITIATIVE TIME
xq3AMjg.jpg
Hard fights were the lurkers with a bunch of bear traps near Foundry, mutants during University quest (when killed, hunchback mutants drop the barrels they carry and deal acid damage, fucked me over good) and Magnar.

ayy, now with video

Last edited:

Xeon

Augur
Isn't the reef and Acorn at the end of expedition? that feels pretty end game since you are expected to do Expedition at Lv20~ or something I think? So don't think getting money after everything is over is really rewarding since you couldn't use it when it mattered the most.

I don't quite understand what Grumpy Bone's post means so I could be misunderstanding this. but I also don't really understand the values of items displayed in the tooltip when looting, you get something that's worth thousands but sells for crap, I kinda thought the values are actually of the normal difficulty playthroughs but since the game is on dominating, it haven't been updated or something to show the real value.

Sheepherder

Augur
Isn't the reef and Acorn at the end of expedition? that feels pretty end game since you are expected to do Expedition at Lv20~ or something I think? So don't think getting money after everything is over is really rewarding since you couldn't use it when it mattered the most.

I don't quite understand what Grumpy Bone's post means so I could be misunderstanding this. but I also don't really understand the values of items displayed in the tooltip when looting, you get something that's worth thousands but sells for crap, I kinda thought the values are actually of the normal difficulty playthroughs but since the game is on dominating, it haven't been updated or something to show the real value.
Yeah, Reef and Acorn are kinda lategame, but prior to that, there's still tons of money to be had from quests and selling lightweight loot which doesn't over-encumber you. As for tooltips, what's to misunderstand? Bigger number = more $$$.

epeli

Arcane
I don't see any good reason to have this confusing monetary system in the game, but then I am also not an auteur indie dev.

In case you hadn't noticed, the game has barter economy and multiple currencies. Some conversion is unavoidable.

Although, a QoL feature to have item values converted into currency of your choice wouldn't hurt. Hmm... I'll do that on the wiki. Now all item infoboxes include currency conversions:

gQR7vbr.png

Blackmill

Scholar
You get a lot of money from quests. Selling the reef glider and acorn will net you something +30k charons. Enough to buy benches, crafting components, super steel and whatever consumables or ammo you use. No need to keep collecting and selling loot throughout the whole game.
And if you're still short on money, why lug around heavy shit like ARs, shotguns or armor? Even new players should realize that there's no point in carrying every piece of garbage they find, when it sells for a charon or two and there's a good chance no one is going to buy it anyway. Instead pick up a couple of mechanical pistols, shields and energy pistols, repair and sell.

Anyway, I finished the Dominating knife build.
Tchort was an otk, didn't use stasis or wall. Used drugs, ran up to it and attacked.
aYZ6CHs.jpg
Faceless. Very clean fight. I forgot where the traps are at first so I didn't manage to do it on first try. I also thought Commander had thick skull, but incap from cheap shots still procs on him.
iAQg6YG.jpg
RKS7mBQ.jpg
Shanked a faceless so hard, Commander got scared.
UlChZnD.jpg
BIG INITIATIVE TIME
xq3AMjg.jpg
Hard fights were the lurkers with a bunch of bear traps near Foundry, mutants during University quest (when killed, hunchback mutants drop the barrels they carry and deal acid damage, fucked me over good) and Magnar.

ayy, now with video

Low health to proc Survival Instincts or just doesn't matter?

Edit: Also, what made Magnar hard? Seems like you could do that fight the same way you did the Faceless Commander fight. Kill Magnar, stasis yourself, then kill the rest without worrying about serpents? Maybe dealing with the Pseudo-Spatial Projections and shield-ignoring damage was tricky.

Last edited:

Sheepherder

Augur
Low health to proc Survival Instincts or just doesn't matter?

Edit: Also, what made Magnar hard? Seems like you could do that fight the same way you did the Faceless Commander fight. Kill Magnar, stasis yourself, then kill the rest without worrying about serpents? Maybe dealing with the Pseudo-Spatial Projections and shield-ignoring damage was tricky.
Low health for Fight Response to proc. It's a 3CON build, as Survival Instincts was too costly to get. Can't have both SI and 5ap attacks. A build with SI, would use tri-chrome knives and 15 effective dex for 6ap attacks. More consistent crits, but on average practically the same amount of crits per turn and also weaker crits, slower Taste for blood buildup, fewer MP, less accurate. Probably no Brutality either.

Magnar was a bitch to fight because I forgot he used Uncanny dodge and blew my stasis load on some mooks before he entered the picture. So after stasis ran out I had to stall for a turn. Even without uncanny dodge, my thc was somewhere around 50-60%. It took me a whole turn to kill faceless commander with +90% thc and that's because I landed Expose weakness. I didn't land it on Magnar. That's why Cut-throat helped. Proced incap, Cut-throat crit, no stun, but got a bleeding wound dealing several hundred damage. Put up a wall, and finished him off after it ran out.

Also, I forgot to mention that the fight vs pirate captain when negotiating after professor kidnapping was also very hard. Captain and Razor have around 1800hp while Death's Grin guy has over 2k. They all have high resolve and fortitude, so are resistant to flashbangs and tazers. Captain and Razor have decent dodge. Plus 2 mooks spawn in after a turn. AND it starts with my character disarmed, so 50AP wasted. Had to wait until lvl26 to finish it. Seriously considered getting quick pockets just for the fight.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom