Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

230/150 You are over-encumbered.

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
just don't have the town merchants buy every piece of shit you collect
Thing is, that's precisely how it works in Underrail - which inspired the OP. Hoarders are incurable.

It isn't about hoarding for me - it is about not wasting time making a decision over every single item I pick up. Moreover, as someone else pointed out, that decision can be very hard to make early on before you understand what is useful for crafting, what is valuable etc...

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Ahh it really depends on the game,for most games it is nuisance,but in some it is a fine implementation. I really love how PB games and how they don't even bother with it,just snatch everything and keep on exploring. Tho some games have legendary bad inventory system like the witcher 3. I hate the most when they just mishmash the items with the crafting shit,it becomes a cluster fuck of garbage. I would love to see a inventories where all the alchemy/crafting ingredients are in separate menu and not part of the main inventory.

Norfleet

True to an extent, except that car space is also fairly limited - and for some nebulous reason you are only limited to three of them, despite the cities containing enough cars to create an entire caravan constantly shuffling weapons from battlefield back to Tony.
To be fair, there's probably not enough gas to run that many cars and most of those cars are broken.

marek

Educated
If i really was an adventurer running into the situation often, i would just hire a few underlings to get the less important loot after clearing the dungeon. And/or get a decent mode of transportation - pack animals if area is hard to access, otherwise cart/carriage. There might be some contexts where its not possible (Stealth mission at Mount Doom in the center of enemy territory) - but imo in most situations it should be perfectly fine to carry it off (and have storage in safe areas)... Unlimited inventory is just a bandaid to avoid implementing those logistics in my mind.

Peachcurl

Cipher
It seems the whole adventurer thing is quickly evolving into a full blown business operation, including complex logistics and a large pool of employees. Sooner or later, we'll need accountants, lawyers, marketing, janitors, and a barrista for the coffee bar in our hideout, err ... company headquarters.

marek

Educated
It seems the whole adventurer thing is quickly evolving into a full blown business operation, including complex logistics and a large pool of employees. Sooner or later, we'll need accountants, lawyers, marketing, janitors, and a barrista for the coffee bar in our hideout, err ... company headquarters.

Well, in the old AD&D P&P games you actually got a stronghold and followers ^^. But seriously, if you can afford to pay 100000 gp for a sword of slaying, not paying a few gp for a pack animal or a hiring a few people carrying your stuff seems off. Or a bag of holding etc. Even low level adventurers should be able to afford a pack mule or horse.

Reinhardt

Arcane

Well, in the old AD&D P&P games you actually got a stronghold and followers ^^. But seriously, if you can afford to pay 100000 gp for a sword of slaying, not paying a few gp for a pack animal or a hiring a few people carrying your stuff seems off. Or a bag of holding etc. Even low level adventurers should be able to afford a pack mule or horse.
or a woman

marek

Educated
or a woman
Historically, mercenaries & regular armies had camp followers: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camp_follower
-> so sure, if you want to have company at camp, why not.

Peachcurl

Cipher

Fair enough. Although, in terms of strongholds, your actual income should (realistically?) not come from adventuring (rather: taxes, tithe, or sales of production/services, etc). It's also a question of how much you leave up to the players imagination. I don't really want to micromanage logistics in an RPG (although I'm sure there are people who'd enjoy it).

DraQ

Arcane
Why not just loot the useful/valuable items? There's no need to haul around two dozen rusty daggers to sell for almost nothing.
Because you're posting in a filthy casul thread.

It is quite annoying, if at character creation you know you have to waste some points to STR or the whole game becomes a painful experience.
If your system is going to be comprised solely of class stats and dump stats, why even have stats?

This.

Also, anyone who thinks that forcing upon a player the annoyance of having to make 10 trips to the shop and back is gonna "fix" the game economy is plain retarded.
Highlighted the actual problem there.
Travel shouldn't be free or safe.
PCs should not be the only agents of change in the game.

When during your trip you pay for supplies and possibly transportation, get ambushed (with possibility of severe, even permanent consequences), then discover that most of the shit you've left lying around rusted, rotted or got looted by enterprising individuals you become more picky. Bonus points if indeed the merchants are less than thrilled about paying you for 180 slightly soiled orcish loincloths.

No, the best inventory system has you physically carry each object you want to bring with you into battle on your characters' bodies, while the rest of your shit is hauled around on a mule or a cart
Yes (limited by weight and volume + size of size of spaces to keep it in).
...and doesn't require you to manage it.
No, go LARP a vacuum cleaner somewhere else.
In vacuum cleaner mode you can't shut off your brain and just click away and keep grabbing junk without blinking.
(...)
I have no idea but i would bet that these are the same players that complain when a game with a party limit of 4 has 6 optional classes and it sucks because you can't bring one of each.
As a bonus point limited inventory doesn't let you accrete a whole galaxy of random shit that will become unmanageable later on.

Anyway, RPG genre is kind of meant to be a tyranny of choice simulator. If you are going to be able to do everything and carry everything and max out everything, just fucking drop the facade.

Proper RPG mechanics is akin to having to chop some wood, screw in some screws and pound in some nails given a choice of appropriate tools like screwdriver, axe and hammer - of which you can pick any two.

Weight limits are, more often than not, a patchwork solution to bad in-game economy.
Weight limits are first and foremost part of the world's internal logic.
How to use them for interesting effects is up to designers.
:obviously:
Generally speaking, keeping your shit consistent allows you to use it in consistent manner later on and stack mechanics on top of one another. Departures from consistency tend to make shit collapse on itself like house of cards.

Inventory completely right = only items held or worn on your person (some of which might be containers), weight determines what character might carry, weight and size what a container might hold.
If you can strip naked but still keep all your stuff in your inventory that's already wrong.

So...
:martini:
none that I know of.

Good thread, happy with the responses.

Realism is less important to me than satisfying gameplay. For that reason I kind of like limited weapons in a Tetris-style but unlimited everything else, for collecting/questing/alchemy/crafting simplicity. I believe the original Witcher did this to at least some extent.
If you can vacuum up stuff without limits that's bound to cause management pains sooner or later.
Even if you don't need to clean up for purely mechanical reasons, cluttered inventory sucks balls.

More on the entire fucking subject:
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...ry-completely-right.77378/page-4#post-6228810
(Because it turns out filthy fucking casuls can't even use the search function.)

Longshanks

Augur
It's a game. Either make the loop of loot, travel, sell, loot, travel, sell interesting (rarely achieved), or cut it and make objects convertible to cash right from the inventory screen.

Norfleet

or a woman
Ale and whores is far under-emphasized in most RPGs. Personally, I've always thought that ale and whores should play a bigger role in the game process. Consider: In RAW, hitpoints are supposed to represent more skill and luck than simply ability to catch cannonballs with your face. Why then, do the "natural healing" rules seem to drag out the process as if you actually WERE recovering from catching a cannonball in the chest, with higher level characters taking forever? Shouldn't the "healing process" thus instead be about consuming copious amounts of ale and whores?

Clearly, GTA has the best healing system in this regard, being that it's the only game where whores have any mechanical relevance at all.

Reinhardt

Arcane
or a woman
Historically, mercenaries & regular armies had camp followers: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camp_follower
-> so sure, if you want to have company at camp, why not.
And looting corpses after battle was actually one of their jobs.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
The only stupid problem with encumberance mechanics is that they work binary.
249/250 ? You are as smooth as a fucking ninja and can run for miles.
251/250 ? You are a fucking turtle, everything will rape you.

Encumberance mechanics need more graduation.

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
The only stupid problem with encumberance mechanics is that they work binary.
249/250 ? You are as smooth as a fucking ninja and can run for miles.
251/250 ? You are a fucking turtle, everything will rape you.

Encumberance mechanics need more graduation.

This is just realism autism tbh.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron

No. Because as far as I am concerned, it makes the over encumberance status a bit pointless : if the condition of my character goes from perfect to "absolutely unbearable", then if it didn't allow me to pick it up the item that would tip me over my limit it would make no difference. At all.

By implying "being over encumbered" is a meaningful status, it should serve a purpose. It does not, because any sane is NEVER over encumbered, or at least, more than the 10 seconds needed to decide to drop an item before continuing.

Harthwain

Magister
Not quite. If encumbrance is relative to your stamina and not some arbitrary hard limits, then you're even more encouraged to keep as few things on your person as possible (and to store less vital stuff in things like backpacks) so you can drop your storage units at any moment when combat starts and either fight without penalties or run away. Neo Scavenger modeled this pretty well.

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
Best inventory system combines the grid based for different sized objects, representing physical size constraints of carrying a billion potions and a refrigerator on your back, along with weight restrictions for strength constraints of carrying a thimble sized neutron star.
No, the best inventory system has you physically carry each object you want to bring with you into battle on your characters' bodies, while the rest of your shit is hauled around on a mule or a cart and doesn't require you to manage it. I think JA2 1.13 did this best: You have a very limited inventory space, which corresponds to a space on your personal gear or backpack, and then you just throw the rest of it in the car.
Nah. The best inventory system is the one wich makes you have a real life license to trade to sell your stuff to vendors, have a degree on engineering before you can craft, and do 20 push-ups before each click where you rearrange your stuff in the inventory.
We must preserve realism from these decline harbingers who want to have fun playing games

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
taxalot
Harthwain

A binary system serves a purpose of limiting how much you can carry though. Having it be gradual does not make it any less annoying. I never played Neo Scavenger but Dark Souls has a gradual system that serves a purpose through fat rolling and stamina regeneration. In DS it kind of makes sense because you are essentially choosing armor weight class, but even there the heavy/mid armors are just less fun. In DS it isn't as annoying because the weight limit is only on related to equipped items, leaving the backpack infinite.

Most people here are complaining about how annoying it is to inventory manage all the bullshit the game throws at you. I don't think anyone is complaining about limiting things like what armor a mage can wear without consequences or how many health potions one can have or anything like that. Weight can have a meaningful implementations without the addition of creating a tetris minigame in your backpack that becomes old very quickly.

TLDR the distinction between equipped and stored is a good one. If you need to limit equipment do so without making me sort through all the junk all game long.

Last edited:

Reinhardt

Arcane
I'm playing skyrim+loverslab right now where my 100% white aryan woman will kill all le 56% elven invaders. So i'm in some dungeon, overencumbered, but still kill everything easily and then SUDDENLY there is some modded murder loli who kills me in two hits. My only option is to turn back and crawl to exit. And then crawl to nearest settlement. Fuck this shit. I'm having NV flashbacks.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
The problem is not that it is binary. Although, yes, some variants on that mechanic would be nice.

The problem is that the overencumbered condition creates often a condition of your character being allowed to be overencumbered, while being completely unusable. Which means the player will never be in this situation, because he will drop the extra item.

It's like the game designers start to grasp the point but do not go the full weigh : either do not allow the player to pick up the item, or have a gradual system.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom