Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Disco Elysium - The Final Cut - a hardboiled cop show isometric RPG

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
In-depth talk/interview by Robert Kurvitz:

Edit: hey Roguey you're wrong, they're not elitists, Robert says so himself

Edit 2: what does he want to do next? sex and violence

This video made me really excited for what comes next actually, and I kind of want to replay the game now. Very intelligent sounding man (makes the private ideology they all seem to hold that much more puzzling), and I'm excited to see what they can do next.

One thing I do think should be added upon in terms of the games systems is the thought cabinet. He says in the video that he's happy people aren't saying it's just a superfluous addition, but tbh, I didn't find it all that impactful. The thoughts were cool, but I didn't really feel the impact that they had on the game. They seemed too secondary, and I thought making a system where you spend skill points to unlock new thoughts was a bit counter intuitive. It's hard to justify spending a whole point for a random thought when I could directly improve my character by just increasing a skill. I think it'd be good to add dialogue that is thought cabinet dependent, and perhaps having an indicator that shows as much would be a positive addition.

All that aside though, I would assume that making a sequel would be cheaper by a significant amount than making the original, considering the fact that, my suggestion aside, they have all the systems they need in place. It's now just a matter of art, writing, and voice acting, which shouldn't be too bad, right?

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I think it'd be good to add dialogue that is thought cabinet dependent, and perhaps having an indicator that shows as much would be a positive addition.
You really should consider replayin' this game. This time, for a change, with your eyes open. It's obvious where and when thoughts from the cabinet give you new dialogue and gameplay options (spoiler: they do).

I’m waitin’ for a suggested sequel/DLC in which you play a woman who speaks to her unborn child. Leftist murderers and satanists will literally kill themselves over implications.

Prime Junta

All that aside though, I would assume that making a sequel would be cheaper by a significant amount than making the original, considering the fact that, my suggestion aside, they have all the systems they need in place. It's now just a matter of art, writing, and voice acting, which shouldn't be too bad, right?

Somehow I doubt they’ll settle for “more of the same.”

But yes now that they’ve got their pipelines in place it ought to be a lot faster to produce the assets.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron

Somehow I doubt they’ll settle for “more of the same.”

But yes now that they’ve got their pipelines in place it ought to be a lot faster to produce the assets.

Jam-Rock-D-L-C!

Prime Junta

It's now just a matter of art, writing, and voice acting, which shouldn't be too bad, right?
Totally

Hey come on, you described in your talk how much faster production had gotten as you figured things out. Robert's talk on how the Thought Cabinet turned into a quagmire feature was pretty informative too; now you have that and can "just" make a few tweaks you ought to be able to keep that under control too.

I do hope Robert gets to write his sex scene. I want to know what Encyclopedia has to say about it.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I do hope Robert gets to write his sex scene. I want to know what Encyclopedia has to say about it.
I can picture it now...

PHYSICAL INSTRUMENTS [Legendary: Success] - Yeah, give her that rock hard dick! All five and a half inches of it!

ENCYCLOPEDIA [Challenging: Failure] - Actually, the female vagina can't feel anything after three inches, so it really doesn't matter.

PERCEPTION [Novice: Success] - Come on now, pick up the pace, she's clearly getting bored.

VOLITION [Heroic: Failure] - Oh no, I'm losing her. I'm a failure, Measurehead was right! Stop now while you have some dignity left.

EDIT: Or well, something along those lines.

Prime Junta

I would go as far to say that cringe is one of the main themes that carries the entire game. I do not recall cringing quite as much in any game I've played.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Now that Junta mentioned it, I realize that the depth of cringy stuff I could do and say in this game and that both my character and I could feel is unparalleled in other games. Just one instance that comes to mind - repeatedly calling your ex (and already remarried) wife from the payphone in the middle of the night.

Interesting video with Kurvitz. I'll watch the one with Kasparov a bit later. I would be more disappointed if we don't have a proper rules-based combat system in the next Elysium game though. From the video it felt like he plans on expanding this dialogue based combat instead of adding separate combat mechanics.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Just one instance that comes to mind - repeatedly calling your ex (and already remarried) wife from the payphone in the middle of the night.

Hitting on Sylvie was a bit of an oh god no what am I doing moment also.

I just realized why a portion of the Codex doesn't like the game.

Either they get what the game is going for and feel attacked, or they don't get what the game is going for and are confused

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Latro ,mate,when did you become such a massive loser? Don't like the game and have no intention of playing it,fine fair enough. But why do you keep on posting here when you haven't even played the game and have no intention of doing it?! Why are you so obsessed with other people liking shit you don't? Maybe you should take a break from the codex for a week or two,you don't want to end up like jenkem or toro,running around screeching delusional shit and annoying people for no reason.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
In-depth talk/interview by Robert Kurvitz:

Edit: hey Roguey you're wrong, they're not elitists, Robert says so himself

Edit 2: what does he want to do next? sex and violence

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/how-the-feature-that-almost-sunk-disco-elysium-was/1100-6472676/

How The Feature That Almost Sunk Disco Elysium Was Made
Dancing with design.

Who would have thought that, in a year with game releases from Nintendo, From Software, Remedy Entertainment, Capcom, Respawn, and numerous other well-known studios, a CRPG from a small, unknown team would become one of the most talked-about titles of 2019?

Disco Elysium is a game that commands attention. Whether it's the striking watercolor acid trip aesthetic, the moody and melancholic music, dense lore, or satisfyingly verbose writing, there's a lot to get caught up in. At the same time, Disco Elysium is remarkably ambitious, offering players an incredible amount of freedom to define their character and role-play.

It's easy to forget that this is Studio ZA/UM's first game, especially when you encounter something like the Thought Cabinet--the subject of this episode of Audio Logs. At its simplest, the Thought Cabinet gives the player insight into the mind of Disco Elysium's main character, but--as with real people--the mind is a complicated, messy, and often chaotic place. Needless to say, realizing it on-screen and as a core part of how the player progresses through the game and develops their character proved to be a challenge.

Disco Elysium designer and writer Robert Kurvitz breaks down the creation of the Thought Cabinet in this episode, describing it as a "quagmire" feature that almost sunk the entire project.

Kurvitz also discusses some of the other design decisions Studio ZU/AM made to modernize the CRPG genre. Among these is the way text is displayed on-screen, which--as genre enthusiasts will know--hasn't changed all that much since the early days of CRPGs. However, Disco Elysium's devs decided to mix things up and it found inspiration in Twitter, of all things.

Beyond the design of the game itself, this episode is a look into Kurvitz himself, who has been building the world and lore of Disco Elysium for years. He has some fascinating insights into player behavior and the tendencies of modern-day video game players. He also talks about some of the ideas he'd like to explore in future projects, offering a tantalizing tease of what we could see next from 2019's breakout studio. Needless to say, this is a must-watch episode of Audio Logs, whether you've played Disco Elysium or not.

This is the third episode in Audio Logs Season 2 and, if you haven't already, make sure to watch the first two. The season began with legendary developers Hideo Kojima and Yoji Shinkawa breaking down a pivotal scene from Death Stranding. Episode 2, meanwhile, is a deep dive into Control's Ashtray Maze. Game director Mikael Kasurinen shows exactly how Remedy executed the memorable sequence from one of 2019's best games. Both of these episodes are available on YouTube. Be sure to subscribe to GameSpot on YouTube to see more episodes as they’re released every Sunday.

If you haven't already checked out Disco Elysium, you should. In our Disco Elysium review the game was awarded a rare 10/10. Critic David Wildgoose said it is "a mad, sprawling detective story where the real case you've got to crack isn't who killed the man strung up on a tree in the middle of town--though that in itself, replete with dozens of unexpected yet intertwined mysteries and wild excursions into the ridiculous, is engrossing enough to sustain the game. Rather, it’s an investigation of ideas, of the way we think, of power and privilege, and of how all of us are shaped, with varying degrees of autonomy, by the society we find ourselves in."

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
168 pages, and ppl are still shitting on this game.

Amazed to think this would happen on RPGCODEX of all places.

Here, let me make it real easy for you:

1. Yes, it's absolutely an RPG, despite not having alot of combat.

2. Yes, it's a good game, in fact, Game of the Year.

Now please, go fuckurself if you don't like this amazing game.

Last edited:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Latro ,mate,when did you become such a massive loser? Don't like the game and have no intention of playing it,fine fair enough. But why do you keep on posting here when you haven't even played the game and have no intention of doing it?! Why are you so obsessed with other people liking shit you don't? Maybe you should take a break from the codex for a week or two,you don't want to end up like jenkem or toro,running around screeching delusional shit and annoying people for no reason.

Well, I could ask the same of the DE fanbots.
Why are you so obsessed with people not liking this pile of garbage? Why do you insist arguing that it's an RPG with those that say it's not?
Why don't you take a break from the codex for a week or two (or forever) and enjoy the game you like instead of being forever butthurt that there are people who don't like what you do?

Oh wait, because it's the codex, and everything you like is shit and everything I like is the best. So fuck you, commie faggot, that's why.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom