Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Critical role ruined PnP

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
No, nothing major will happen on your social networks that you need to constantly keep checking your phone every 30 seconds.
I picked a terrible time to start learning.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
Looks like the new D&D book is going to be based on one of the Critical Role settings.

https://www.amazon.com/Dungeons-Dragons-Release-Announced-January/dp/0786966912/

Not really surprising, but still disappointing.
Why? If the setting is good, then it's a win for the players. You can play it on your own style, not mimicing the Critical Role.
While it's possible by the nature of implication something good comes out of that garbage, I'm really skeptical.

Dedup

Augur
Looks like the new D&D book is going to be based on one of the Critical Role settings.

https://www.amazon.com/Dungeons-Dragons-Release-Announced-January/dp/0786966912/

Why? If the setting is good, then it's a win for the players. You can play it on your own style, not mimicing the Critical Role.

I find it disappointing because there are other established settings I would have preferred to see, like Dark Sun. I also don't watch Critical Role so it's not a setting I know anything about. If it's just another standard fantasy setting, it's not going to be something I'll get excited about. I'm sure it will sell well though and there will be plenty of players who are going to enjoy it, but for me, it will probably be 'meh' at best.

I can relate to most of what's been said in this thread, but what's the big deal with the Consent Sheet? I've been playing with mostly the same group of good friends for years now, and we all know how we roll (heh). But I recently moved and am contemplating finding a new local group, and I would totally fill out that sheet to make sure I don't end up wasting my time at a table where some weirdos are abusing pen&paper to live out their sexual deviancies.
So yeah, modern age role players are a laughing stock, not arguing that. But some of their concepts like a session 0 or a group contract can really help keeping expectations in line. Might have helped op, too.
The problem is that you as a player and you as a GM should be adult enough to know the do's and don't without having it in writing. Maybe I'm weird but within a session or two I can tell if a GM is going to try to rape my character or just be a cringelord SJW. In my games as a GM there is an expectation that my group acts as adults. Perhaps if I were to run a game for Critical Role style zoomers who don't play DnD and aren't familiar with how a game in reality is run, I'd have some kind of info pamphlet. But thinking about it, even then I'd rather just show them how to play the game and politely inform them that the weird overly complicated backstories designed to upstage one another only works on Critical Role because that's not actually a real session of DnD. And I'd rather they come up with one interesting fact about their character than an overwrought backstory about how their blue skinned human who's LGBT sandwich positive is constantly oppressed for being trans and is a rebel who has a cute girlfriend. I see that backstory so fucking often I outright ban it whenever a player tries to do it. One interesting fact. Go from there. Of course, without fail the one interesting fact is "Trans." or "Gay." because that's all they ever see as interesting.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The problem is that you as a player and you as a GM should be adult enough to know the do's and don't without having it in writing. Maybe I'm weird but within a session or two I can tell if a GM is going to try to rape my character or just be a cringelord SJW. In my games as a GM there is an expectation that my group acts as adults.
Oh, right, this thread exists, too.
Indeed I looked for - and found - a new local group, like I said in that post. We're all still strangers to each other and we do monthly sessions with rotating GMs. The first time I met them - they already had a single session before I joined - I brought up the topic whether there are any no-go themes. One person - mother of two toddlers - said she's down with anything, except please no dead babys. Really glad I asked, because there's actually a prewritten official module on my hd that I considered running once it's my turn, since it fits the group and the theme. But it revolves around, you guessed it, solving a case about a murdered baby.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Since this thread is about the decline of PnP and not just about CR, this video probably fits:

Incendax

Augur
Yea I think the moment that thought hit me was when one member of my party was adamantly insisting on seducing a dragon instead of killing it like a normal person.
I once had a player who successfully seduced a dragon. It devoured his leg.
Not exactly a mammal's idea of a relationship.

Elex

Arbiter

I find it disappointing because there are other established settings I would have preferred to see, like Dark Sun. I also don't watch Critical Role so it's not a setting I know anything about. If it's just another standard fantasy setting, it's not going to be something I'll get excited about. I'm sure it will sell well though and there will be plenty of players who are going to enjoy it, but for me, it will probably be 'meh' at best.
It’s an extra book, so don’t steal another book slot. Sadly the next book is about Magic the gathering.

Longes

Augur
Well, the problem is, what was once "nerdy" and "geeky" has left the basement where it belonged and became hip and marketable. That's why you got all sorts of degenerates in coloured hair who don't really want to play a game, they just want to fantasize about their sick fetishes while you watch and curse god.
6Sqn6Di.png
Bringing this back from the abyss of time!
Last month Adam Koebel got cancelled and took down the entire Roll4It show with him, as he has decided to do some unprompted surprise sex to a PC on stream.

Well, the problem is, what was once "nerdy" and "geeky" has left the basement where it belonged and became hip and marketable. That's why you got all sorts of degenerates in coloured hair who don't really want to play a game, they just want to fantasize about their sick fetishes while you watch and curse god.
6Sqn6Di.png
Last month Adam Koebel got cancelled and took down the entire Roll4It show with him, as he has decided to do some unprompted surprise sex to a PC on stream.
WYSIWG principle in action, tbqh. It was a moderately funny video though, I never seen anyone describing robo-orgasm with such gleeful masturbatory perversion.
Timestamp: 1 hr 16 min.

Curratum

What sort of retarded snowflake must you be if you get triggered over a silly DM giving your robotic character a robo-orgasm, and not through some sort of real-world intercourse but by someone jacking a stimulant in the port on your neck.

I watched the video of the dumbass who had this done to their character, explaining why she quit the show and is no longer friends with Koebel and it's fucking hilarious.

I swear to god, EVERY SINGLE ONE of those playing tabletop these days is an absolute social cripple.

Longes

Augur
What sort of retarded snowflake must you be if you get triggered over a silly DM giving your robotic character a robo-orgasm, and not through some sort of real-world intercourse but by someone jacking a stimulant in the port on your neck.

I watched the video of the dumbass who had this done to their character, explaining why she quit the show and is no longer friends with Koebel and it's fucking hilarious.

I swear to god, EVERY SINGLE ONE of those playing tabletop these days is an absolute social cripple.
Treating it like real sexual assault is retarded, yes. But at the same time Koebel's GMing here is the powertripping grognard bullshit that AD&D and Cthulhutech and "old school" GMs have rightfully been shamed about. "You go to your friend and then you get raped" is no one's idea of fun.

Bonus points go to Koebel being a huge evangelist of RPG sensitivity tools meant to keep this sort of surprise sex out of the game.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
6Sqn6Di.png
WYSIWG principle in action, tbqh. It was a moderately funny video though, I never seen anyone describing robo-orgasm with such gleeful masturbatory perversion.

Jeez, that's too cringy to watch.
Link please, I want to suffer.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!

That was glorious to watch. How he was laughing to himself awkwardly, how the others were cringing...

:kfc:

EDIT: Actually creepo moment starts at 1:08:20. That also gives better context to the whole scene.

Link please, I want to suffer.

This is even better :lol::lol::lol:

Last edited:

Curratum

I'm not defending Koebel here, he's obviously coming through as a weirdo and a bit of a creep, but what can you expect from a genderfluid pink-haired man?

It's just that everyone involved in tabletop these days is a massive, unpleasant weirdo. GMs power tripping, players getting triggered over everything... Like, why would you even have something sexual in your game?

Fucking Lamentations of the Flame Princess have entire modules based more or less on tentacle rape and that passes for OSR D&D. Fucking bunch of creeps, the lot of them.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I'm not defending Koebel here, he's obviously coming through as a weirdo and a bit of a creep, but what can you expect from a genderfluid pink-haired man?

It's just that everyone involved in tabletop these days is a massive, unpleasant weirdo. GMs power tripping, players getting triggered over everything... Like, why would you even have something sexual in your game?

Fucking Lamentations of the Flame Princess have entire modules based more or less on tentacle rape and that passes for OSR D&D. Fucking bunch of creeps, the lot of them.

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Lamentations_of_the_Flame_Princess
1d4chan is a hilarious read for it, the Flame Princess is based on the ex gf of the guy.

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
It's just that everyone involved in tabletop these days is a massive, unpleasant weirdo.

No. Some pink-haired degenerate playing pretend rape on a stream watched by other degenerates is not the entire TTRPG community and you know it as well as I do.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Bonus points go to Koebel being a huge evangelist of RPG sensitivity tools meant to keep this sort of surprise sex out of the game.

Though this time it looks like he didn't use them this time? Do as I say, not as I do

Generic-Giant-Spider

This is why you don't play with girls. The D&D tabletop experience can only be truly understood by fellow man, like a hunting trip or watching the game. When you bring a girl into it then you need to be on proper behavior and shit, really cramps the style and mood. Guy talk is essential, you need guy talk.

This is why you don't play with girls. The D&D tabletop experience can only be truly understood by fellow man, like a hunting trip or watching the game. When you bring a girl into it then you need to be on proper behavior and shit, really cramps the style and mood. Guy talk is essential, you need guy talk.
Call me an incel all you want. Back in my day Pen & Paper games were a lad thing. We could make dirty jokes, bring our junk food, fart, burp, curse and chill out. And women took one look at a character sheet and went back to being bitches to one another.

Since Wil's Great Tabletop Leap Forward, RPGs have become just like women hobbies like cosplay. It's all about face, playing the political game. You can never just relax. And nothing is ever actually about the subject matter. And the games reflect that. It's all beer and pretzels games now. God forbid you crack open Traveller or have any hope of a full campaign.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Call me an incel all you want.

Nah fuck that, it's another one of these zoomer buzzwords that subverts any criticism of the average woman. I've lost a good few friends over the years to the terror of bringing your girl into hobbies typically enjoyed by likeminded guys. They can't take the banter well is the most immediate example.

If I were to call you or you were to call me a "fucking dolt" due to a misplay chances are there'd be some understanding, an unwritten rule if you will, that it's purely an in-the-moment barb and you move on from it after two minutes. Now if you say that to any of the girls in that video up there, then get ready because she is going to remember that until the end of time. She'll probably become more withdrawn/distant in the game, maybe bring it up to her boyfriend on the way home, and probably try to create a rift between that guy and your group or perhaps get you excluded entirely since you somehow made things "uncomfortable."

They don't work well in that social world. I personally couldn't stand it if I had to share my hobbies with a girl all the fucking time and have zero time to myself and I feel for these poor sons of bitches that have a handler that they must include in everything. Can't even shoot a round of golf without the bitch in tow. Shiiit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom