Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
What's more important: having X amount of RPG mechanics so people can qualify it as an RPG... or having a game that's actually fun to play?

Why, the former of course. I haven’t found normal action games (with or without some halfassed windowdressing stat antics) to be very entertaining or ”fun to play” in years. Their whole market has stagnated to eternal repetition of creative bankruptcy in design; and while that seems to also be somewhat true with RPG’s these days, good(tm) RPG’s at least have more interesting gameplay by default.

Molina

Savant
It's not going to be Deus Ex. It's going to be first person Witcher 3 with guns, that's what people need to expect from this. And Witcher 3 was hardly a RPG.

This being said, if it is competent at that, then all will be fine and we will have a good game. To become a classic worthy of several playthroughs even 10 years from today, then it would however require to be much more than that or to be extensively modded.
You seem pessimistic. Considering the gameplay that has been shown, we can expect more choice in the way to do missions than TW3. Then... it's not going to be deus ex. I want to say of course. Deus ex, it' s a succession of semi-open areas. This allows a greater control of the level design. That's just not possible in an open world, or you have to put up a fuckin' amount of money.

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
I couldn't care less how much of an RPG it is as long as the game is good.

What's more important: having X amount of RPG mechanics so people can qualify it as an RPG... or having a game that's actually fun to play?
:hmmm:

The basic premise of this game is that it's an adaptation of a tabletop RPG, which is the main reason why many people wanted to play it in the first place - because they enjoy RPGs, and in order for an RPG to be fun you need certain mechanics that allow you to build your character and interact with the world. You're being apologetic Bethesda fanboy style.

Molina

Savant

RPG mechanics are fun to play... so...

JDR13

Arcane

:hmmm:

The basic premise of this game is that it's an adaptation of a tabletop RPG, which is the main reason why many people wanted to play it in the first place - because they enjoy RPGs, and in order for an RPG to be fun you need certain mechanics that allow you to build your character and interact with the world. You're being apologetic Bethesda fanboy style.

No, you missed the point which isn't surprising because I expected many people here would. It's the typical "I'm not going to play it because it's not enough RPG for me!" reaction I see often.

I'm just saying we don't need more RPG mechanics for the sake of having them. More mechanics won't necessarily make it a better game. Some tabletop rules just don't translate well to a computer game.

JDR13

Arcane

RPG mechanics are fun to play... so...

If they're implemented well, sure. I'd prefer not to have them at all vs having them half-assed though.

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
I'm just saying we don't need more RPG mechanics for the sake of having them. More mechanics won't necessarily make it a better game. Some tabletop rules just don't translate well to a computer game.
For fucks sake, everyone knows that and no one wants mechanics that serve no purpose just for the sake of having them.

orcinator

Liturgist
For fucks sake, everyone knows that and no one wants mechanics that serve no purpose just for the sake of having them.
Well the purpose tends to be so the players feels like they're getting more powerful whenever they level up and/or unlock a new perk without forcing them to get better at the game, which is why every AAA game has RPG mechanics nowadays.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

The words on the title screen only matter so much. If it's a good game then it's a good game.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Beside see deus ex fans defending this game and wanting it to be Deux ex 2.0 when is not supposed to be is kinda sad.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Cyberpunk gon be gud. I don't care about autism arguments about the setting/genre/definition. who cares.

good game is good.

Fun and interesting combat, many c&C, great visuals, gud story, fun open world, cool setting and atmosphere. all that matters.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yes who care about roleplay elements in rpg games? 2020 codex for you :D
expectation. it's a high budget game. if i really want hardcore role playing game i will replay underrail. you're deluding yourself. i just really want well made, single player focused, RPG lite with decent writing and gameplay variety, which in itself already rare for AAA games.

Prime Junta

Yes who care about roleplay elements in rpg games? 2020 codex for you :D

Cyberpunk 2077 will have RPG elements. Mechanically, build variety is clearly much wider than in any of the Witchers for example. The demos already made that much clear.

If you're butthurt that it's an aRPG and not a trad spreadsheet RPG then you really need to adjust your expectations vis a vis AAA games in general and CDPR games in particular.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
As was stated before, this will basically be an open-world nu-Deus Ex. If you consider those RPGs then Cyberpunk2077 is an RPG.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
replay underrail
Man underrail lacks gore combat feels very sterile for me and weapons sound like shit I cant believe a game from 1997 is better in this regard.

Storyline isnt grabing me either I am 20 hours into the game and feel pretty bored.

fallout combat is meh at best. combat wise underrail beats fallout every time. tho fallout is still the better RP but gory death is a very shallow reason to play fallout.

the intensity of your interest in underrail's story is mostly revolve around the world building and mystery. it really depend on how much you like the setting and want to know the big questions. it also start slowly. at the beginning it's basically "fallout but underground" but as the game progresses (and PSI build help for some of the monolith skillchecks) the lore unfold more to be distinct on it's own. i think i don't even realized it until i met the oculus guys.

Danikas

Arcane
fallout combat is meh at best. combat wise underrail beats fallout every time. tho fallout is still the better RP but gory death is a very shallow reason to play fallout.
Does it really? So far I got through most fights blobbing enemies up and blowing them up with grenades and stunning them with flashbangs, im on the highest difficulty btw. At least Fallout combat had some impact and you could see your weapons effect on target so far combat in underrail was on par with Fallout for me nothing great and there is lots of it most of the quests I did were combat centric.

Last edited:

orcinator

Liturgist
Does it really? So far I got through most fights blobbing enemies up and blowing them up with grenades and stunning them with flashbangs, im on the highest difficulty btw.
Undeerrail's combat is overrated as fuck but I have no idea how you can say it's worse than Fallout's.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Does it really? So far I got through most fights blobbing enemies up and blowing them up with grenades and stunning them with flashbangs, im on the highest difficulty btw.
tbh the rats and early gangs are pretty easy. later on you'd have to specialize and decently understand the "class" you are picking. the variety of how you kill them in underrail are astonishing but not every build is equal in fun term and difficulty but if you are playing on dominating, the game gets harder after the junkyard part.

Danikas

Arcane
Undeerrail's combat is overrated as fuck but I have no idea how you can say it's worse than Fallout's.
In presentation it is worse you cant deny that and fallout came out in 1997 talk about decline. I cant talk fully about mechanics because as I said spamming grenades and stuns has worked for me so far and I breezed through that mutant base in junkyard on highest diff.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
if the character is fully voiced and the player can choose his character race
Here:
"You don’t choose your gender anymore. You don’t choose, ‘I want to be a female or male character’ you now choose a body type. Because we want you to feel free to create any character you want," Jonkers explained.

"So you choose your body type and we have two voices, one that’s male sounding, one is female sounding. You can mix and match. You can just connect them any way you want. And then we have a lot of extra skin tones and tattoos and hairstyles. So we really want to give people the freedom to make their own character and play the way they want to play."
Source
No. What I mean is, your character will have "the voice of a white guy" regardless of your chosen race, or to put it in a politically correctly way, your chosen "skin tone".

Prime Junta

No. What I mean is, your character will have "the voice of a white guy" regardless of your chosen race, or to put it in a politically correctly way, your chosen "skin tone".

That's a damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't if there ever was one.

Edit: it would be hilarious if you could pick a Black voice that was potato idea of Ebonics tho

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom