Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
I say "unfortunately" because I'd rather hide from cyborgs than live in the era of Turdbook, Cuntagram, or Shitter. FUCK.
You saying shit like this, because you too domesticated and was never really in danger of being chased by someone armed. It's easy to say "fuck those evul services" while sitting in your comfy apartment with cup of tea. I somehow doubt that you can ran away from human police forces, let alone cyborgs with enhanced speed and sensors.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
And Witcher 3 was hardly a RPG.
This cannot be said enough times. Witcher 3 is an "RPG" where, provided you play unmodded, your build doesn't matter, your combat style doesn't matter, your crafting and gear don't matter. The vanilla game is an interactive movie with token RPG elements. The interesting thing are its characters, and their fates, decided by the player's decisions. The superb writing combined with the addictive hiking simulator gameplay is what Witcher 3 has going for it, but is that enough to make it a good RPG?

No. What I mean is, your character will have "the voice of a white guy" regardless of your chosen race, or to put it in a politically correctly way, your chosen "skin tone".

That's a damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't if there ever was one.
That's why I'm eagerly expecting some drama to pop up about this. Maybe it will, maybe not.

Danikas

Arcane
That's why I'm eagerly expecting some drama to pop up about this. Maybe it will, maybe not.
They will have one voice for female and one for male that's it, dont remember any complaints about shepards voice even though you could make him a negro.

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
I say "unfortunately" because I'd rather hide from cyborgs than live in the era of Turdbook, Cuntagram, or Shitter. FUCK.
You saying shit like this, because you too domesticated and was never really in danger of being chased by someone armed. It's easy to say "fuck those evul services" while sitting in your comfy apartment with cup of tea. I somehow doubt that you can ran away from human police forces, let alone cyborgs with enhanced speed and sensors.
You know what a hyperbole is, or should I expect a 30 min yt video about how I wouldn't be able to escape from a cyborg with "enhanced speed and sensors"?

That said, I was a competing short distance runner in high school.

Danikas

Arcane
PC voice over is a mistake for games with CC.

i think only saints row have multiple voices for same gender but the amount of player dialogue is small.
You cant have cinematic set pieces with silent protagonist it looks retarted case in point Dragon age origins.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
PC voice over is a mistake for games with CC.

i think only saints row have multiple voices for same gender but the amount of player dialogue is small.
You cant have cinematic set pieces with silent protagonist it looks retarted case in point Dragon age origins.

Come to think of it... Wouldn't it be neat to have an RPG where a major plot point is the PC having xir's voice stolen?

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
So, wondering how deep the character customisation goes and how much I can play around with different builds. Also wonder just how many body modifications there will be and if having them will have repercussions or limits in game.

My first play through will probably be a male streetkid with a balanced build but more hacking and sneaking oriented than combat. Some bioware but nothing too crazy.

Then after that I'll see if I can recreate Molly from Neuromancer. She's the archetypical street samurai after all. Wonder if they got implanted lenses in the game.

If the game still holds my interest after that I'll go full hacker. We'll see.

Anyway, dunno if this was posted before but apparantly it's a higher quality video of the deep dive one than what is currently available on youtube.

https://www.gamersyde.com/video_cyberpunk_2077_deep_dive_video-44116_en.html

And that first gameplay vid. Also said to be in higher quality. Just because.

https://www.gamersyde.com/video_cyberpunk_2077_48_minutes_of_gameplay-42749_en.html

Zer0wing

Cipher
If the game still holds my interest after that I'll go full hacker. We'll see.
There's three backgrounds to choose from and three base builds/playstyles in CP2077. So I guess CDPR just counting on how many times people will return to this game - three. Optimistic.

Harthwain

Magister
if the character is fully voiced and the player can choose his character race
Here:
"You don’t choose your gender anymore. You don’t choose, ‘I want to be a female or male character’ you now choose a body type. Because we want you to feel free to create any character you want," Jonkers explained.

"So you choose your body type and we have two voices, one that’s male sounding, one is female sounding. You can mix and match. You can just connect them any way you want. And then we have a lot of extra skin tones and tattoos and hairstyles. So we really want to give people the freedom to make their own character and play the way they want to play."
Source
No. What I mean is, your character will have "the voice of a white guy" regardless of your chosen race, or to put it in a politically correctly way, your chosen "skin tone".
Within the same quote you have the answer: "we have two voices, one that’s male sounding, one is female sounding".

Two voices mean the ones we have heard already and I doubt they will hexadruple their voice acting budget for the main character just so people can play with a slightly different voice. After all, we're not talking about recording a bunch of "L-click me to hear me say something" responses from IWD/BG/NWN-like games. This will be probably on Geralt level, in terms of length of voice acting.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
So, wondering how deep the character customisation goes and how much I can play around with different builds. Also wonder just how many body modifications there will be and if having them will have repercussions or limits in game.
I think I remember them saying somewhere that there will be a limit for body modifications, so you won't be able to go psycho. I have a feeling they are keeping that aspect for the expansion.

Sykar

Arcane
fallout combat is meh at best. combat wise underrail beats fallout every time. tho fallout is still the better RP but gory death is a very shallow reason to play fallout.
Does it really? So far I got through most fights blobbing enemies up and blowing them up with grenades and stunning them with flashbangs, im on the highest difficulty btw. At least Fallout combat had some impact and you could see your weapons effect on target so far combat in underrail was on par with Fallout for me nothing great and there is lots of it most of the quests I did were combat centric.

Combat is bad and boring in Fallout, just visually gratifying but seeing the same death animation with your chosen weapon a thousand times becomes boring and trite too, and swiftly at that. The tactic is to crank up your crit and hit and go for the part of the body that has the best hit/damage ratio. Minor variance going Fast Shot and burst weapons. Melee is the same. Oh and once in a while use a Health Stim. What is that "impact" you talk about? That your hit and crit numbers go up?
Meanwhile even basic assault rifle builds in Underrail have at least half a dozen ways to approach combat, easily 4+ times that as PSI or PSI hybrid. Also I doubt that you have even remotely come close finishing the game with just grenades and flashbangs. Shit like that hardly works later since there are plenty of enemies which are immune to flashbangs and if you are not in cover on the enemies turn unless you are super tanky with metal armor and high con and stimmed up you can easily die on DOMINATING.
As to presentation, Underrail was mostly a one man job, and it was his first game to boot, while Fallout had a small professional team behind it. Also since when do graphics matter? The game has great atmosphere and that is all I care about.

Last edited:

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria

Edit: it would be hilarious if you could pick a Black voice that was potato idea of Ebonics tho

Every single streamer would play a white guy with the ebonics voice set, going around blasting N-words.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
I've been expecting it to be a FPS with stats ever since they announced it.

you filthy animal. how dare you speak this way of a game made by the greatest RPG makers this planet have.

Melee looks bad too but that’s probably not a problem since you ought to be able to avoid it simply by not making a melee build.
So if the shit remains under the carpet, it is all cool and not a problem. Ahem.

If you're butthurt that it's an aRPG and not a trad spreadsheet RPG then you really need to adjust your expectations vis a vis AAA games in general and CDPR games in particular.

but what about if somenone is butthurt because CDPR promised a different/more hardcore game when they announced it and not an "A-rpg"?
also what's the difference between a "FPS with stats" and an action RPG in this case, you shill hearted bastard?

So, wondering how deep the character customisation goes and how much I can play around with different builds. .

why wonder how deep? I bet you know about the screenshot
character_sheet.jpg

what is more moronic? Axes being at blunt weapon category in Morrowind (edit: Oblivion) or shotguns being under body related skills and sniper rifles under cool?

Last edited:

S.torch

Arbiter
Witcher 3 is an "RPG" where, provided you play unmodded, your build doesn't matter, your combat style doesn't matter, your crafting and gear don't matter.

This sounds like the words of someone who either, didn't play the game or didn't know how to play and is uncapable of recognize mechanics and where they are.

Your build does matter in The Witcher, in fact, is completly impossible for the player to take all the abilities he wants so he is forced to take a couple of them. Like every other RPG on existance except the Skyrim types were the player can be good at everything.

If for "crafting and gear" doesn't matter you meant when you play the game on easy mode, yes, you're right. Because I can't think of any other instance in which someone can just pretend to play the game with level 1 equipament and will not "matter".

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
but what about if somenone is butthurt because CDPR promised a different/more hardcore game when they announced it and not an "A-rpg"?
I admit I was quite excited when this video came out:

(Fuck, hard to believe it's been 7 years ago!)

Some time later I played Shadowrun: Dragonfall and I dreamed that Cyberpunk 2077 will be bigger, darker, grittier and with all the awesome technology...
:negative:

what is more moronic? Axes being at blunt weapon category in Morrowind or shotguns being under body related skills and sniper rifles under cool?
That was Oblivion not Morrowind.

Edit: it would be hilarious if you could pick a Black voice that was potato idea of Ebonics tho
Saints Row 2 and 3 paid like 7 people to record the same lines so you could pick an appropriate voice for your character. Hell, 2 wasn't exactly a fuck off high budget game either. I wouldn't put something like that off the table.

Like, white sounding dude, black sounding dude, latino sounding dude, and the same for women.

Yosharian

Arcane

Saints Row 2 and 3 paid like 7 people to record the same lines so you could pick an appropriate voice for your character. Hell, 2 wasn't exactly a fuck off high budget game either. I wouldn't put something like that off the table.

Like, white sounding dude, black sounding dude, latino sounding dude, and the same for women.
Are we really gonna pretend those games had anywhere near as much spoken dialogue as CP2077 will?

Yosharian

Arcane
Are we really gonna pretend those games had anywhere near as much spoken dialogue as CP2077 will?
It doesn't matter. They can afford to hire 7 voice actors. More lines only means they have to pay for more hours of work.
Can they? Are you sure? Also, is money the only issue?

Let's just think for a moment about the process of recording and implementing voice dialogue.

• Casting calls for actors
  • Decision-making process for hiring the right actors
  • Introducing new actors to the team, getting them up to speed on the project, establishing relationships with directors, superiors, and other important people
  • Actually recording dialogue
  • Recording more dialogue
  • More recording dialogue
  • Running quality control on that dialogue
  • Recording the dialogue again because it wasn't good enough
  • Running quality control on the new dialogue
  • Getting it implemented into the game
  • Re-recording the dialogue because the game was changed
  • Running quality control on that dialogue and re-recording where necessary
Think about all the people involved at all levels of this process. All the recording staff, coders, etc, involved with the recording, QC, implementation, etc. Now multiply that by 7. Not to mention the added complexity involved with having many different audio tracks for every single line of dialogue that must all be firing correctly at all times.

But sure, the only cost involved is hiring a few more voice actors...

Last edited:

Not as much, for sure, but plenty.
It doesn't matter. They can afford to hire 7 voice actors. More lines only means they have to pay for more hours of work.
Can they? Are you sure? Also, is money the only issue?

Let's just think for a moment about the process of recording and implementing voice dialogue.

• Casting calls for actors
  • Decision-making process for hiring the right actors
  • Introducing new actors to the team, getting them up to speed on the project, establishing relationships with directors, superiors, and other important people
  • Actually recording dialogue
  • Recording more dialogue
  • More recording dialogue
  • Running quality control on that dialogue
  • Recording the dialogue again because it wasn't good enough
  • Running quality control on the new dialogue
  • Getting it implemented into the game
  • Re-recording the dialogue because the game was changed
  • Running quality control on that dialogue and re-recording where necessary
Think about all the people involved at all levels of this process. All the recording staff, coders, etc, involved with the recording, QC, implementation, etc. Now multiply that by 7. Not to mention the added complexity involved with having many different audio tracks for every single line of dialogue that must all be firing correctly at all times.

But sure, the only cost involved is hiring a few more voice actors...
I was curious about all this.

This archived blog post says that Saints Row 2 has "around 80000" lines of dialogue.

This tumblr post is apparently a script of all the dialogue in the game. Cutscenes only. Copying and pasting it into word produces a count of 2150 lines.

This PCGamer article says that Skyrim (Chosen as a point of comparison) has "Over 60000" lines of dialogue. I couldn't actually find a script for Skyrim myself.

Come to your own conclusions.

Although, codex is probably the best place to ask if anyone has the dump of Skyrim's script mentioned in this reddit thread.

Keep in mind, I wasn't trying to imply that getting multiple actors for the protagonist would be easy, but that it wasn't as unfeasible as it was made to sound.

Prime Junta

Maybe learn to read what is actually being said, rather than what you want them to be saying?

I read the same announcements and from where I’m at nothing significant has changed. You’re just interpreting them based on a truckload of wishful thinking and then getting butthurt when you got disillusioned.

also what's the difference between a "FPS with stats" and an action RPG in this case, you shill hearted bastard?

An FPS with stats is a specific type of aRPG. The Twitchers for example are also aRPGs but they’re obviously not FPSs.

Any other terms you need explained? Always happy to oblige.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom