Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex 2019 GOTY - VOTE NOW!

Mortmal

Arcane
Pen and paper conversion are completely forgotten.

Is this necessarily a bad thing?

Computers and DMs have radically different strengths and weaknesses. Faithful PnP conversions only succeed by happenstance: despite the system being converted, because the system happens to work acceptably in a cRPG, or because the system left enough room for interpretation that a version playing to the computer’s strengths could be created.
If you look on roll 20 and similar sites there's like 20 players for one DM, gathering people to play such system is hard . Most of those online games have bland storylines, childish DMs, horrible Community with lack of commitment , deviant people even the codex would frown upon. Its so bad paid GM are a thing now.When you find one game its often very slow and unsatisfying .
That's where crpg shines at least for D&D, i'd like to just hop into a good game create a team of characters spend a good hour on it testing builds, pit them on "fast" turn based combat encounters. I sadly had more fun just loading a FRUA modules than playing in some live sessions.
So yes for me it's a bad thing, i play all kind of games but i cant find that rpg experience again, not in any of those 2019 titles.Maybe Vogel is doing that still but he's streamlining it far too much.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
To anyone thinking of giving Slay the Spire a shot, I wrote a quickstart guide on how to stop losing horribly:

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/slay-the-spire-is-a-pretty-cool-game.123316/page-3

For those who enjoy the gameplay loop of RPGs/Tacticool games of "start small -> kill shit -> loot and progress your character -> fight tougher shit -> rinse end repeat until a final boss lies dead at your feet", StS is a bottomless well of possibilities and fun. As for the RPG label, I frankly couldn't care less. I enjoy killing shit in enjoyable and challenging TB combat, that's enough for me.

biggestboss

Liturgist
I don't know if Slay the Spire counts as an RPG, but I will wholeheartedly say that it is a better game than any RPG or game in any genre released in the past decade.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't know if Slay the Spire counts as an RPG, but I will wholeheartedly say that it is a better game than any RPG or game in any genre released in the past decade.
Yeah, no idea how that ended up in this list.
Confused the hell out of me. It's a card game.

A really good one, but is about as far away from an RPG as I am from the fires of Australia.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
A Legionary's Life is probably the RPG I've enjoyed most 2019.

I went in with low expectations and was pleasantly surprised.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Computers and DMs have radically different strengths and weaknesses. Faithful PnP conversions only succeed by happenstance: despite the system being converted, because the system happens to work acceptably in a cRPG, or because the system left enough room for interpretation that a version playing to the computer’s strengths could be created.
Yes, pen-and-paper RPGs are able to take advantage of being controlled by a human Dungeon Master both to engage in improvisational adaptation during gameplay in response to player decisions and similarly to undergo preparation between game sessions to account for player decisions steering the campaign in different directions. On the other hand, a Dungeon Master, even with support from players, is limited in the ability to track and calculate the multitude of potential variables that can affect combat and, to a lesser extent, exploration, with the practical consequence that D&D/AD&D groups tended to simplify or entirely eliminate portions of the already-abstract ruleset. Computer RPGs, contrariwise, are unable to engage in any kind of adaptation or preparation aside from the programming and content they are designed with, in consequence of which they allow for narrative decisions only through the strait-jacket of scripting. On the other hand, computers can engage in an effectively limitless amount of tracking and calculation to cover as extensive a ruleset as is desired for combat and exploration, in addition to easily conducting other tasks that would be costly and time-consuming in a pen-and-paper campaign (e.g. representing tactical combat through miniatures and a dungeon/wilderness model environment).

Computer RPGs should play to their strengths rather than their weaknesses. :M

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
2020 looks very promising, and even 2019 was still miles ahead most of the 2000s.
2000: BG2, Deus Ex, IWD
2001: Arcanum
2002: NWN, Morrowind, IWD 2
2003: ToEE, KOTOR
2004: Bloodlines
2005: KOTOR 2
2006: This was a bad year but mods and expansions made Oblivion palatable
2007: The Witcher, Mask of the Betrayer
2008: Storm of Zehir
2009: DA:O, Knights of the Chalice

All those are games I'd rank above the ones released in 2019.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
When people speak about 00s they usually mean a period starting after around 03-05 and ending around 2014 when kickstarters and indies started coming out.
2010: ME2, AP, NV, Divinity 2
2011: Witcher 2, Dungeon Siege III, Deus Ex Human Revolution, even DA2 and Skyrim
2012: I'll concede this was a terrible year with nothing of value
2013: Shadowrun Returns

Still better years for me than 2019 (except 2012, and I suppose 2013's Shadowrun and Stygian have enough flaws to make them roughly equal).

(oh and I guess the PC port of Dragon's Dogma was out in 2013 but I have not actually played it and thus can't judge)

Last edited:

Viata

Arcane
I think that because now we have more crpgs being released than ever per year, we can find a lot of shit rpgs every single year and that makes us easily see we are in a decline.
And that tends to get worse because the people that play today's crpg and likes it are going to make more crpgs based on them(and as we know, it's easier to simplify a game than to make it complex).

Thus, enjoy it for now because the decline is slow, but soon it's going to be free fall and you don't want to know what is waiting for you on the ground.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
I think that because now we have more crpgs being released than ever per year, we can find a lot of shit rpgs every single year and that makes us easily see we are in a decline.
And that tends to get worse because the people that play today's crpg and likes it are going to make more crpgs based on them(and as we know, it's easier to simplify a game than to make it complex).

Thus, enjoy it for now because the decline is slow, but soon it's going to be free fall and you don't want to know what is waiting for you on the ground.
Cooper Blakemore is a beacon of hope for mankind then.

KK1001

Arbiter
Is it anyone really pretending the 10s were better than the 00s? The 00s still had classic RPGs and the industry wasn't entirely monopolized and AA studios were yet gutted. Even the big AAA releases of the decade (Morrowind, KOTOR, Diablo 2, Mass Effect) weren't quite shit.

2006 to 2014 is the real dark ages, both for RPGs and games in general. I noticed things getting shittier once I saw how watered down Bioshock was, the terrible console ports, the end of major PC AAA releases.

hexer

Absolutely agree. Everybody's a game designer these days.
Previously you had CRPG devs coming into video games from PnP RPGs but now they come from anywhere but PnP RPGs.

They're more concerned with form over substance.
You can't make a cake entirely out of icing!

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Is it anyone really pretending the 10s were better than the 00s? The 00s still had classic RPGs and the industry wasn't entirely monopolized and AA studios were yet gutted. Even the big AAA releases of the decade (Morrowind, KOTOR, Diablo 2, Mass Effect) weren't quite shit.

2006 to 2014 is the real dark ages, both for RPGs and games in general. I noticed things getting shittier once I saw how watered down Bioshock was, the terrible console ports, the end of major PC AAA releases.
The CRPG hemi-semi-demi-Renaissance began in 2012. :M

2012: Legend of Grimrock
2013: Paper Sorcerer, Shadowrun Returns, Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen (original 2012, PC port 2016)
2014: Legend of Grimrock II, Wasteland 2
2015: Underrail, Age of Decadence
2016: Salt & Sanctuary, Warlock of Firetop Mountain (digital gamebook)
2017: Grimoire
2018: Kingdom Come: Deliverance, Kenshi
2019: Outward, Operencia

And I'm probably missing a few games. Admittedly, the CRPG wasteland era of the preceding 9 years was quite dire, but 7 of those 9 years occurred in the '00s rather than the '10s.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
2019: Outward, Operencia
I am quite surprised at people's willingness to compliment Operencia in this thread.
I mean com'on, this game is like a Dragon Age of the blobber-world.
Pre-made, ridiculously talkative, companions with character-specific skill trees that come in all-skill-points-distributed package, castrated system and completely linear on top of that. I am not claiming it is a bad game per se- locations are nice, pretty and puzzles are less annoying than, for example, in Grimrock, but RPG GOTY, seriously?

After I hit a story about tragic lesbian marriage I went like "Sorry guys, my bs tolerance after TOW dropped below zero, see ya on Steam Sale in 2020". (Another big reason was my genuine dislike for metroidvania approach with backtracking in the frigging blobber).

It almost looks like some posters desperately need a game in GOTY list to compliment (and to spite Disco-fans), that seems more a less like a proper RPG - and something as inoffensively niche as casual blobber fits the criteria. Well, since complimenting TOW is act of even more questionable taste and Greedfall is much more straightforward in its Biowarean inspirations.

PS If you try to praise a casual blobber at least show some class and praise Legend of Amberland instead

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom