Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
I think you exaggerate. I played NV 2 times - every time my character had high intelligence and even a perk that gives you more skill points, but still I had problems passing some checks without items and drugs.

Danikas

Arcane
I think you exaggerate. I played NV 2 times - every time my character had high intelligence and even a perk that gives you more skill points, but still I had problems passing some checks without items and drugs.
I played Nv not long ago with Project nevada. I had to lower exp gain to 1/4 of vannila and skill point per lvl to 1/2 to have some sort of balance. New vegas is full of exp (kill shit= exp pick a lock=exp hack a computer= exp pass a skill check = exp finish a quest= shit load of exp) game gives you so much exp it spirals out of control mid game.

Here have some good old proof, I loaded a save that has 25h played with the settings i mentioned.
VLuA94q.png

9jwJAuD.png

Sb876FX.png

If not for this the game would be a joke by this point.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
New Vegas is arguably balanced for 30ish hour playthroughs, with multiple playthroughs expected to side with all factions and see all the content. I never had an issue with its leveling pace since by the time I was around 30 I was ready to finish and save the rest for another playthrough.

Dodo1610

Arcane
No. What I mean is, your character will have "the voice of a white guy" regardless of your chosen race, or to put it in a politically correctly way, your chosen "skin tone".

That's a damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't if there ever was one.

Edit: it would be hilarious if you could pick a Black voice that was potato idea of Ebonics tho
Saints Row 2 and 3 paid like 7 people to record the same lines so you could pick an appropriate voice for your character. Hell, 2 wasn't exactly a fuck off high budget game either. I wouldn't put something like that off the table.

Like, white sounding dude, black sounding dude, latino sounding dude, and the same for women.
Are we really gonna pretend those games had anywhere near as much spoken dialogue as CP2077 will?

Dragon Age Inquisition had also 2 voice actors for both genders. And that was a 120h+ game even with 4 races to choose from.
So yes I do believe that it's possible.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Play a game like Shadowrun Dragonfall and you'll see how VO has fucked us on dialog options and whatnot. No going back now though, for "big" games anyway.

Dodo1610

Arcane
Storyfags are weird as fuck. They want story in their game, but also want VO that makes the script short.:philosoraptor:

I really don't see how a cinematic game like Cyberpunk could be improved by having a PC who doesn't speak. This isn't some low budget CRPG that has to use tons of text make you forget you are just looking a 2D Sprites with no animation that are supposed to represent human beings standing in a village with 16 houses to make you think you are in a metropolis. Cyberpunk has the budget to show you things instead of telling you about them. Nobody needs full VO in Pathfinder WOTR but in a AAA game, I see it as a requirement thses days.

Last edited:

Dodo1610

Arcane
Nobody needs full VO in Pathfinder WOTR but in a AAA game, I see it as a requirement thses days.
That is true. No one expect good dialogues in AAA games anyway.

Of course, Baldurs Gate's writing was so much deeper and more mature than The Witcher 3's:roll:. Writing is about the only thing CDP is good at since their gameplay has always been shallow and forgettable. Compared to other games in the genre, their stuff is high literature.

Beowulf

Arcane
Of course, Baldurs Gate's writing was so much deeper and more mature than The Witcher 3's:roll:. Writing is about the only thing CDP is good at since their gameplay has always been shallow and forgettable. Compared to other games in the genre, their stuff is high literature.

He meant it literally - W3 borrowed heavily from Polish literature, sometimes even quoting XIX century authors verbatim.

And I somewhat agree - W3 had the very good, naturally flowing dialogues, perhaps even the best I've encountered in any game.
But only if you expected a linear movie-like conversations, not RPG dialogues with many choices and possible outcomes.

Last edited:

Beowulf

Arcane
not RPG dialogues with many choices and possible outcomes.

Quality > Quantity

More often than not, yeah.
It's no small feat to create believable characters and convey their anger, amusement, sadness and other emotions in a large game with big cast.
W3 has only a handful of recurring characters, by they are all distinct.
Anyway, I'm preaching the choir here - the consensus seems to be that CDP's biggest strength lies in creating good narratives and good writing (for that type of the game - ARPG or GTA-like with more stats).
I've never expected it to be a proper RPG. But the closer they get to Deus-Ex (mechanics - wise) the better.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Does anyone have that photo with the pillars of development for Cyberpunk 2077 back when it was announced?
it was like a screen grab from their power point presentation or some shit like that

Prime Junta

OK I may be a bit dense here, but which part are you butthurt about? That's also incredibly vague. "Advanced RPG mechanics" FFS.

(I'm biased though because I have a strong preference for classless over class-based RPG systems, so while they did break that promise, they broke it in a way that I like.)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom