Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex 2019 GOTY - VOTE NOW!

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I thought maybe I didn't give it a fair enough chance the first time so I played it again for longer with a different build.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
2020 looks very promising, and even 2019 was still miles ahead most of the 2000s.
2000: BG2, Deus Ex, IWD
2001: Arcanum
2002: NWN, Morrowind, IWD 2
2003: ToEE, KOTOR
2004: Bloodlines
2005: KOTOR 2
2006: This was a bad year but mods and expansions made Oblivion palatable
2007: The Witcher, Mask of the Betrayer
2008: Storm of Zehir
2009: DA:O, Knights of the Chalice

All those are games I'd rank above the ones released in 2019.
"Games that Roguey like" are not a measure of incline/decline, I don't give a fuck about that list.

You can't decide an entire genre is healthy by praising one or two games a year, what's important to me is how healthy the industry as a whole is. The 2000s was a terrible oligopoly of a few giant companies crushing all smaller studios out of business and getting us stuck on the BioWare/Bethesda duo for over a decade. There were years like 2005 where we have 17 RPGs done IN TOTAL - including trash like Cops 2170 or Metalheart: Replicants.

Meanwhile 2019 was a slow year next to previous ones, but I can still put up a list of over 60 noteworthy releases and name 20 of them that got really positive ratings from over 800 voters. With styles from all tastes: blobbers, roguelikes, infinity engine clones, wuxia, Diablo-clones, story-heavy, action-RPGs, etc. This is only decline if you prefer going back to be Todd Howard and David Gaider's bitch.

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
When people speak about 00s they usually mean a period starting after around 03-05 and ending around 2014 when kickstarters and indies started coming out.
2010: ME2, AP, NV, Divinity 2
2011: Witcher 2, Dungeon Siege III, Deus Ex Human Revolution, even DA2 and Skyrim
2012: I'll concede this was a terrible year with nothing of value
2013: Shadowrun Returns

Still better years for me than 2019 (except 2012, and I suppose 2013's Shadowrun and Stygian have enough flaws to make them roughly equal).

(oh and I guess the PC port of Dragon's Dogma was out in 2013 but I have not actually played it and thus can't judge)

Legend of Grimrock is from 2012. Literally better than every game you listed.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
"Games that Roguey like" are not a measure of incline/decline, I don't give a fuck about that list.

Most of the Codex would agree that many of those games are classics. They're in the top 70 after all.

You can't decide an entire genre is healthy by praising one or two games a year, what's important to me is how healthy the industry as a whole is. The 2000s was a terrible oligopoly of a few giant companies crushing all smaller studios out of business and getting us stuck on the BioWare/Bethesda duo for over a decade. There were years like 2005 where we have 17 RPGs done IN TOTAL - including trash like Cops 2170 or Metalheart: Replicants.

Meanwhile 2019 was a slow year next to previous ones, but I can still put up a list of over 60 noteworthy releases and name 20 of them that got really positive ratings from over 800 voters. With styles from all tastes: blobbers, roguelikes, infinity engine clones, wuxia, Diablo-clones, story-heavy, action-RPGs, etc. This is only decline if you prefer going back to be Todd Howard and David Gaider's bitch.

Likewise it doesn't matter to me if there are 60 games released when virtually none of them appeal to me (or most of the Codex, hence why 2019 is the year of the Elysium).

Prime Junta

Likewise it doesn't matter to me if there are 60 games released when virtually none of them appeal to me (or most of the Codex, hence why 2019 is the year of the Elysium).

Even so, judging the state of a genre or an industry on your personal taste strikes me as a trifle hubristic.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Even so, judging the state of a genre or an industry on your personal taste strikes me as a trifle hubristic.
And if none of the games released this year appeal to you, then maybe the problem are not the games...

And don't pull a "most of the Codex" based on absolutely nothing. I'm the only one here who has the poll numbers, and clearly people enjoyed a lot of games besides Disco Elysium.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
And if none of the games released this year appeal to you, then maybe the problem are not the games...

And don't pull a "most of the Codex" based on absolutely nothing. I'm the only one here who has the poll numbers, and clearly people enjoyed a lot of games besides Disco Elysium.

Drops in the bucket, nothing that will make it to the next top 70 or be remembered let alone discussed in a few years.

So when people talk about the 00s, they are not talking exactly about the 00s. I see.

I don't understand what is controversial about my statement. When talking about historical era named after a timespan it's normal that the era doesn't cover a timespan in 100%. Example: XIX century. XIX century as a timespan covers 1801- 1900. As a historic era it covers 1789 - 1914/18. The same applies in our case.

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014

Drops in the bucket, nothing that will make it to the next top 70 or be remembered let alone discussed in a few years.
Yeah, but if, say, Metallica's "Master of Puppets" was released today would anybody raise eyebrows? People would be like "Yeah, this is good. Next." probably.

There are no games that try to push the formula forward and do something exceptional. There are only AAA action games with some layer of RPG inspired mechanics and indies that more or less try to recreate the classic experience. You're a robot if you're not fed up at least to an extent.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
You forgot Underrail, Age of Decadence, D:OS, Pathfinder Kingmaker, Shadowrun Dragonfall, Grimoire, Lords if Xulima, Atom, etc. etc.

I think I cevered them here.

there were people who were like, gather the team and quitely working on their projects
And all the decent project are made by people with old conservative look on PRGs.

Who would guess that GOTY will be something from Estonia's nonames, right?

Not exactly.

Disco Elysium looks just like last surge of vitality of a dying man, cause Estonia somehow avoided all-planet dumbing down, or most likely these dudes in Estonia.

We'll soon get the new wave from Bethesda, CD Project, BioWare and other big names, like Elden Ring, Bloodlines 2, Baldur's Gate 3 and Mount & Blade 2.

There is small problem. Cyberpunk will be bullshit, that already clear. Bullshit mechanically and content-wise, all that sjw shit that splash out of it, even if you just look in its direction, not talking even about touch it.
Bethesda is Bethesda, they will give us at best something they usually did before, but adjusted to Witcher3 that took all awards - did you see the video from that award ceremony?
When they call W3 team or head on stage and Todd Howard just sit there?
So, they will adjust their game to be more liek W3, so it will be less RPG then before.
Bioware is a joke.
Bloodlines 2 is for soytolerant "man", I'll skip it.
Baldurs Gate 3 is a Shrodinger's game - it exist as good game and in same time it is not. Nothign is clear about it. Also, I very much doubt thay could recreate tone of old BG, more likely we will get atmosphere and tone of DOS in BG, which is... dunno.
Mount&Blade is not RPG as far as I know.

Yeah, new wave... of bullshit.
As for CD PR - they seem to repeat the history that happene with Bioware pretty accurate. With same result I guess.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom