Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
There have to be constraints on the players no matter how high their levels get - it's part of muh balinse.

Modern popamolers expect God Mode after level 3 and no more inconveniences but alas this is the way of fail and decline.

Vitality could not get much better, it has been adjusted and fine tuned for at least 20 years. It's just right even for higher level players. Still requires you to get some rest or renew your stamina some once you have been exhausted enough.

GandGolf

Augur
There have to be constraints on the players no matter how high their levels get - it's part of muh balinse.

Modern popamolers expect God Mode after level 3 and no more inconveniences but alas this is the way of fail and decline.

Vitality could not get much better, it has been adjusted and fine tuned for at least 20 years. It's just right even for higher level players. Still requires you to get some rest or renew your stamina some once you have been exhausted enough.

But why only regain it by a fixed amount then? If you lose vitality by a percent then shouldn't that also work for regaining it? Otherwise you are merely punishing players for having vitality that is too high.

Last edited:

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Just bought my second copy of Grimoire on GOG to support Cleve. I feel like I've already gotten enough entertainment from his posts to warrant shelling out $7.50 (on top of what I pledged during the IndieGoGo campaign), even if I may not have the 600 120 hours to complete the game.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Cleve should have priced Grimoire at $60 on release and maintained that price in perpetuity. Those who enjoy such games would still have purchased Grimoire and received our money's worth from its splendid incline, while the higher price would have deterred the sort of person who buys the game only to refund it and write a negative review.

kA3m1cp.png

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Cleve should have priced Grimoire at $60 on release and maintained that price in perpetuity. Those who enjoy such games would still have purchased Grimoire and received our money's worth from its splendid incline, while the higher price would have deterred the sort of person who buys the game only to refund it and write a negative review.

kA3m1cp.png
I agree. There needs to be more decline filters in place to keep out undesirables. It's not like spreading news of the game to potential buyers is lacking. Cleve had barely any marketing campaign (besides the indiegogo campaign and steam release if you count those), and it has gained so much attention simply through word of mouth.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
But why only regain it by a fixed amount then? If you lose vitality by a percent then shouldn't that also work for regaining it? Otherwise you are merely punishing players for having vitality that is too high.
Why did you limit access to your profile? Thin skin much? I want to tell you to your face what a complete dumbfuck you are.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer

Exactly. It's an excellent way to maintain a certain penalty no matter how high your stats go. If you have the endurance of an Epic Hero, after an enormous battle you should still need a way to restore your stamina. Same for hitpoints - once they are maxed out, it should be an ordeal to restore them completely if you are down to only a few points following a huge battle.

mondblut

Arcane

Look, clicking 10 times x 8 characters on a fountain to restore stamina for everybody on high levels is not fun by any means. Period. Neither is manually casting Refresh on everybody a bunch of times. And I probably did both more times than anyone else on the planet, for the good 20 years. In the end, I just Artmoney-ed myself 255x bauderdash cake and used it instead, to preserve my wrist (and to keep my brain aneurysm-free).

Heck, Grimoire has had autoheal routine for 20 years, why not simply include Refresh in there? Automated hitpoint restoration is supposed to be incline, how come automated stamina restoration is not?

GandGolf

Augur
Why did you limit access to your profile? Thin skin much? I want to tell you to your face what a complete dumbfuck you are.

That was done after Cleve sent me a PM. Apparently my remark about how it was actually him leaving Cooper alone in the outback rather than my parents doing that to me really got under his skin.

Exactly. It's an excellent way to maintain a certain penalty no matter how high your stats go. If you have the endurance of an Epic Hero, after an enormous battle you should still need a way to restore your stamina. Same for hitpoints - once they are maxed out, it should be an ordeal to restore them completely if you are down to only a few points following a huge battle.
So it IS about punishing players then. In the end I just used the Decline character editor to set all my characters max vitality to 100.

Last edited:

The_Mask

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
That was done after Cleve sent me a PM. Apparently my remark about how it was actually him leaving Cooper alone in the outback rather than my parents doing that to me really got under his skin.
So you do have thin skin.

It's fun throwing daggers at people, but if anyone sends any your way things suddenly get serious.

Cool story, bro.

GandGolf

Augur
So you do have thin skin.

It's fun throwing daggers at people, but if anyone sends any your way things suddenly get serious.

Cool story, bro.

If my skin were truly thin as you claim then I wouldn't even be on this forum. Or maybe I would just set various users on ignore and then tell them about it.

The_Mask

Patron
If my skin were truly thin as you claim then I wouldn't even be on this forum. Or maybe I would just set various users on ignore and then tell them about it.
Don't patronize me shitstain. I don't remember giving you permission to look down on me.

You're a fuckwit that lives to whine about 1 feature in 1 game. We have nothing in common.

Why I am even shocked you went out of your way to dish me a retarded rating. I was shocked. You coming out of your shell lady boy?

Next thing you know, you'll actually stop looking down at this whole community, and start talking about other games too. 2020?

Gunnar

Arbiter
You can set wandering monsters to never and then rest as much as you want to regain all your vitality.

I want to know when we will be getting souped up Necromancers. I tested a party with 2 necromancers after the version changed to 3.0 but I did not notice that they were draining life force from enemies to increase their max HP. (Vamp necros should also be able to do this on a Bite kill, please.)

Last edited:

The_Mask

Patron
You can set wandering monsters to never and then rest as much as you want to regain all your vitality.
Too much work. Better complain on RPG Codex, and rate developer's posts as racist, because we're looking down on him and the whole website - using it as a cudgel to make our own self-entitlement known.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer

I want to know when we will be getting souped up Necromancers. I tested a party with 2 necromancers after the version changed to 3.0 but I did not notice that they were draining life force from enemies to increase their max HP. (Vamp necros should also be able to do this on a Bite kill, please.)

That's a good idea about Vamp Necros. Will put this in next version.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet

Look, clicking 10 times x 8 characters on a fountain to restore stamina for everybody on high levels is not fun by any means. Period. Neither is manually casting Refresh on everybody a bunch of times. And I probably did both more times than anyone else on the planet, for the good 20 years. In the end, I just Artmoney-ed myself 255x bauderdash cake and used it instead, to preserve my wrist (and to keep my brain aneurysm-free).

Heck, Grimoire has had autoheal routine for 20 years, why not simply include Refresh in there? Automated hitpoint restoration is supposed to be incline, how come automated stamina restoration is not?
Quoting for posterity, having this be a feature similar to the ankh option that heals, but instead casting refresh or seeking out to eat a stamina restoring food item like baulder cake, would be a good idea.

Machocruz

Arcane
I've never played past the demo. Now that I got may last "big game" out of the way (I usually have some big open world game or RPG going alongside a shorter action or strat game), I plan to rectify this. But that's not the point. The point is: even from the demo, I can say that Grimoire puts to shame what passes for dungeon crawling in 99% of games made today. It proves that most of these niggas making RPGs have never played one session of one tabletop game, or a single one of the CRPG classics. If they had, maybe, if they had a bit of a craftman's pride or the capacity to feel shame, they would not try to fob off the utterly lazy, simplistic, insulting wank on us that they do.

It's all in here. Mystery, atmosphere, foreboding, danger, surprise, riddle, puzzlement, risk, reward. The text alone provides more atmosphere, immersion, and evocation of ancient adventure than any of these phonies, these wannabe film directors and their expensive engines can muster on their best day.

I don't think I even fully explored or solved all the mysteries of the dungeon in the demo. I don't recall. But I do remember that even if I had, there was a nagging sensation that there was more, some secret passage not discovered or doorway that I walked by and either failed to notice or forgot about. That I only did enough to progress down the critical path, but ultimately the dungeon "beat" me. Comparing Grimoire to most of the rest of the field is like comparing Morrowind to the rest of Elder Scrolls. With Morrowind, after dozens of hours spread across repeated playthroughs across several years, it still feels like, even if not so, I could stumble upon something new, whether a unique weapon, a new kind of dungeon, creature, NPC, faction, spell, environment etc. In every Elder Scrolls subsequent, the sinking feeling that I had seen everything there was to see in the first 10 hours, to be repeated for all remaining hours. No more surprises or the hope of something new, something more. Of course, Morrowind isn't endlessly vast. There is a set number of types for each object, location, and sentient being. The point is it feels like there is always something more to see. I don't precisely know what makes the difference, but maybe it has something to do with the creators behind one type of game talking about desire for detailed simulation, deep systems, pen and paper games and CRPG greats like Wizardy 7, while on the other side they talk about... Call of Duty...and Jackass...

Yeah. Anyway, welcome back to proper dungeon design.

Farewell young Prince into the night

I listen to the Grimoire IndieGoGo pitch every single morning during my hour long commute to the coal mines. Cleve's sultry, velvety voice helps soothe my generalized anxiety disorder, depression and the pneumoconiosis caused by years of ingesting a plant-based diet as a child.

"A lot of things that happen in Grimwahr...don't necessarily advance...the completion of the game. They're just moments in time.

They're there to give you something to remember. To make you feel like you were part of this world.

Sometimes it's a small act of kindness...

...like finding a seashell for a crab.

These are all...little moments in time."
-Cleveland M. Blakemore

Shadowfang

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
I started to play this gem of a game this December when it reached GOG and I haven't needed the manual so far. Having fun with my suboptimal party, loving the puzzles and secret areas that are everywhere.

The only thing that can compare is this very thread that gave a few loud chuckles this whole day.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
It proves that most of these niggas making RPGs have never played one session of one tabletop game, or a single one of the CRPG classics. If they had, maybe, if they had a bit of a craftman's pride or the capacity to feel shame, they would not try to fob off the utterly lazy, simplistic, insulting wank on us that they do.

Sadly, more than a few of them have played tabletop RPGs and classic cRPGs, but they've resigned themselves to creating games designed for humanity's lowest common denominator in order to pay the bills.

Some lack any sense of pride and/or shame, but the rest suffer, knowing that they're doomed to slop hogs for the rest of their careers. For most people, it's very difficult to change profession unless they're absolutely forced to; furthermore, games are a luxury entertainment, so being a shameless, artless sellout isn't exactly immoral or unethical. No one's forced to endure your creatively bankrupt garbage. It's just pathetic and sad.

Still and all, it pleases me to know that they're suffering. They should all enroll in trade schools and apprentice to become plumbers or electricians—both professions are sorely needed (average age of a master plumber or electrician in the US is about 50ish), and frankly they'd likely earn more money working a real job while enduring FAR less work-related stress. Best of all, they'd be providing a useful and valuable service that improves society, which would be a major improvement over churning out shovelware.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
The client says GRIMOIRE 3.0.0.0-R at the top of the window.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom