Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

230/150 You are over-encumbered.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Shouldn't have skipped leg day.
You deserve the penalty if you dump stated your strength and then complain why you can't carry a piano on your back.
That's dumb. This basically means make a strenght build or you are screwed. Why non-str characters must suffer through annoying endless inventory micro-management? For the sake of realism? Then if you want to be realist at all costs at the expense of fun remove all magic and fantasy elements in the game, make your char drink 1,5 L of water every day, make him shit every day, make him do a job to afford his travels, make him do gym session to increase his str ( 1 point every month of training) etc etc

Why low dex characters must suffer not hitting enemies as often as high dex characters?

Why low int characters must suffer receiving fewer skillpoints than high int characters?

Why low end characters must suffer receiving fewer hit points and less resistance than high end characters?

WHY OH WHY DO STATS HAVE TO MATTER IN RPGS???

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
Shouldn't have skipped leg day.
You deserve the penalty if you dump stated your strength and then complain why you can't carry a piano on your back.
That's dumb. This basically means make a strenght build or you are screwed. Why non-str characters must suffer through annoying endless inventory micro-management? For the sake of realism? Then if you want to be realist at all costs at the expense of fun remove all magic and fantasy elements in the game, make your char drink 1,5 L of water every day, make him shit every day, make him do a job to afford his travels, make him do gym session to increase his str ( 1 point every month of training) etc etc

Why low dex characters must suffer not hitting enemies as often as high dex characters?

Why low int characters must suffer receiving fewer skillpoints than high int characters?

Why low end characters must suffer receiving fewer hit points and less resistance than high end characters?

WHY OH WHY DO STATS HAVE TO MATTER IN RPGS???
Stats must matter but not having them must result in a different playstile, not just a plain worse one. Having low dex but higher strenght means you hit less but for more damage.
If you have less hp it means you could have invested in higher dodge stat, so you get hit less often.
These are all different appraoches to game, none ( at least theorically in a balanced game) is worse than others.
Meanwhile having low str makes the game frustrating and unfun.
With limited inventory you are making the game a chore for all chars, and a bit less annoying for str characters.
I ask again, why? For a bit more realism wich benefits the game in no way?

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Here is a different playstyle for you: if you have low str and can't carry much, don't be a hoarder. Invest in mercantile skill and get more money from selling fewer items.

I usually play low str characters with high social skills and that's how I do it.

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
Here is a different playstyle for you: if you have low str and can't carry much, don't be a hoarder. Invest in mercantile skill and get more money from selling fewer items.

I usually play low str characters with high social skills and that's how I do it.
Not all games have that option, wich is good ( the option) Usually games make str the only viable choice not to be bothered ( or bothered less) by inventory management.
Anyway we are straying away from the key point of the topic: the system is highly unfun and repetitive.
Potential benefits such as a bit more realism and immersion are outweighted by the cost

Norfleet

Balancing via tedium is bad balancing.
Pretty much every MMO seems to rely heavily on balancing via tedium. The most profitable activities are typically balanced purely by people's unwillingness to do them because they're tedious and unfun.

Unfortunately for those games, I want to play, but I hate fun.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Here's a potential solution:

Get rid of the monty haul mechanic that encourages looting 1000 items and dragging them back to the pawnbroker, and inventory limitations won't be an issue anymore.

Norfleet

Get rid of the monty haul mechanic that encourages looting 1000 items and dragging them back to the pawnbroker, and inventory limitations won't be an issue anymore.
That would be sort of unrealistic since medieval arms and armor is highly valuable merch. However, it ultimately boils down to the core of the way players are expected to commit mass genocide during these games. Think about what the typical body count of an RPG is. Now go look at history's most prolific warriors and rack up how many they've killed. I mean, if you've lived a life of violence like I have, you might have racked up about a hundred people, a fair number of which probably didn't actually die, and you probably didn't get to stick around to pillage everything they had because you had slaughtered ALL of them in the area.

The typical RPG character's career will rack up a bodycount in the thousands, and each of these will be characterized by a local genocide. You don't kill an enemy warband and then skedaddle out of there before their reinforcements show up. You WIPED THEM THE FUCK OUT, and thus were able to pillage the bodies at leisure. If a mechanic existed that would send more enemies your way if you dawdled, YOU BET YOUR ASS YOU CAMPED THEM FOR THE FREE XP and racked up even MORE loot. This is...just not how things work in the real world, which is why you end up with massive piles of loot.

Oh, and every single one of them is dead. You're very sure that all 9001 of those kills are confirmed. None of them were merely shot, fell down in the mud, and elected to stay quiet until you went away. In an RPG, everything you kill is DEAD, and you make damn sure of it, because nobody defeated tends to just quietly wait for you to leave, they either immediately withdraw from the map in a cutscene, or get back up and come after you if you leave them along enough.

Norfleet

I think that's really just a single issue that cascades. The entire inventory-and-loot problem ultimately comes down to the number of people you murdered. If you didn't murder an unrealistically large number of people, the entire problem wouldn't exist.

Shadowfang

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
The problem only exists if the game penalizes you for not engaging in that behavior and I haven't played a game like that so far and I am glad.

Peachcurl

Cipher
I think that's really just a single issue that cascades. The entire inventory-and-loot problem ultimately comes down to the number of people you murdered. If you didn't murder an unrealistically large number of people, the entire problem wouldn't exist.

I'd say it's a single issue in some cases but not all. There are games where you get excessive amounts of items just from looting the environment, not enemies. And in some cases, even the loot from few enemies would (realistically) overburden your own character (heavy armor and a large weapon from a single enemy might already be too much, depending on what your own character carries [edit: wears]).

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom