Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter BATTLETECH - turn-based mech combat from Harebrained Schemes

Inehresa

Educated
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Few hours ago I wasn't sure what were you all about MMH but here I come, forever changed, a prodigal son. BT is pure shit, wish I listened to people, wouldn't waste those few hours.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I quite like it with the mod, but I'm finding that the load times and frequent crashes are making it unenjoyable. So I'm putting it aside until a later version and/or I have a new PC.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm putting it aside until a later version and/or I have a new PC.
I have a very fast PC (with an SSD, of course).
The loading times are always long, they completely botched their resource management. I suspect they load all resources every time instead of keeping those around that are frequently used.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
So did they make this game a lot more fun, or is it still the game that was balanced to a true Sawyer's delight after LSTMs were nerfed and big walls of medium lasers/AC20s just run at each other?
It is pretty much SRM and medium laser boats. That haven't changed as it was designed to be that way.

Played mostly with sniper builds (L Lasers, smaller AC's and LRM) and skipped SRM's completely. Worked very well. Always got the maximum Jump Jets for every mech which improved the movement defense a lot.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Which expansion added the "Attack & Defend" mission type? I bought the expansions and have been playing with them, and I got one of these missions where I ended up fighting 24 mechs, lights, mediums, heavies, and even one assault. Eight mechs started on the field, and four new mechs came in every few turns. The biggest shock was that the last lance came in after the last reinforcement wave listed in the optional objectives. It was pretty neat.

I'm glad I realized early that energy weapons are the way to go on Attack & Defend missions. After fighting 24 mechs, I still had to go destroy 4 turrets and some buildings. It's easy to run out of ammo if you're relying on missiles or heavier auto cannons. My LRM mech with four LRM20s and 960 missiles had under 100 missiles by the end, even flipping some on and off to manage heat.

Also, I like that they added multiple teams to some missions so that you can have an allied lance with you, two different enemy lances (so they can go twice per initiative step), or a free-for-all with three teams of mechs. It's nice that it's not all 4v4 or 4v8 missions now.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Is this game still in beta? Why does clicking on things in main menu have a couple second delay? What's with the idiotic loading times for everything? Does SSD help?

Alpharius

Scholar
Has any of the mods fixed the economy? As in, can one make it somewhat similar to Battle Brothers economy with certain settings?

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Well, I played unity games and I know it sucks bad, but I've never seen a game literally freezing for like 3 seconds whenever I press something in main menu or taking a minute to load a cutscene that's just a few barely animated drawings only to then take 2 more minutes to load a mission immediately afterwards. That's why I'm asking if this is a true battletech experience (tm) or there's something (very) wrong on my side.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
Well, I played unity games and I know it sucks bad, but I've never seen a game literally freezing for like 3 seconds whenever I press something in main menu or taking a minute to load a cutscene that's just a few barely animated drawings only to then take 2 more minutes to load a mission immediately afterwards. That's why I'm asking if this is a true battletech experience (tm) or there's something (very) wrong on my side.
Load times were pretty shit given I kept it on M2 SSD, but I had no menu issues.

Cael

Arcane
I just realized all the maps you play on are just parts of one giant map. thats probably why it runs like dogshit
There was an interview with one of the trannies and he basically said that was exactly what they did. He even said the challenge was to make it big enough that players don't realise it is the same map. It is in one of these threads a while back.

Norfleet

welcome to unity, take a seat, it's going to take a while to do anything.
You can't really blame Unity for a game being shit: The truth is, a fair number of major titles actually uses Unity, but the thing with Unity is, in a peculiar quirk of marketing: You have to pay money to remove the Unity logo. Thus. low-budget shovelware ends up with the logo stuck on them, while higher-end titles have paid to remove this label, and the result is that to the public, Unity is associated with badly made shovelware. This MAY not have been the best marketing on the part of the Unity owners.

yes, trannies are to blame for the horrible performance too, but unity is this century's flash, it's bad and those who use it should feel bad.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The questionable UI decisions bug me more than the slow speeds of everything. For instance, if you're picking your pilots for a mission and want to check if they have enough experience to get a skill you want, you gotta exit the mission prep screen, hover over "Barracks" button, choose the "Mechwarriors" pop-up, and click the person you want. Then, to get back to picking your pilots again, you gotta hover on "Command Center" button, choose the "Contracts" pop-up, click the mission you were on, re-do the negotiation settings you picked, and put the 'mechs and pilots you had already selected back into their slots if you had changed them from the previous mission.

Of course it doesn't help that there's a 1-2 second delay on each click, but that'd be more tolerable if it was one click instead of five. They could have added a "view mechwarriors" button to bring up the XP spending screen from the pilot/mech allocation screen.

Also, this fucking bullshit with hovering on each menu option to select what you want, so that you could alternatively choose to talk to the person who lives in that room, is ridiculous. I never want to talk to these people. Just make clicking on "Command Center" take me right to choosing a contract, make clicking on "Mech Bay" take me to the mech bay instead of letting me talk to Yang, and so on. They could add a little "Yang" button in the corner of the mech bay screen to talk to him for all the people who do that.

It reminds me of the total shit of modern web design where everything involves multiple clicks, lots of scrolling, and hovering on shit to get anywhere or do anything. Compared to this, the 18 seconds to load a mission doesn't bother me so much.

Old Hans

Arcane
I just realized all the maps you play on are just parts of one giant map. thats probably why it runs like dogshit
There was an interview with one of the trannies and he basically said that was exactly what they did. He even said the challenge was to make it big enough that players don't realise it is the same map. It is in one of these threads a while back.
yea it feels like shit & doesnt add anything and the texture work is so awful for the performance. I would have rather had a mech game that looked like panzer general

Cael

Arcane
What would the positive thing be by making your maps like that?
The trannies did give an explanation for why they went that way. But, IIRC, it was a stupid explanation that was basically a result of them not knowing how to code.

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
What would the positive thing be by making your maps like that?
by making them how they are in the game right now? There is no upside. I probably have more tactical fights playing Battle Brothers
probably? Battle Brothers is a much better turn based battle simulator. I really wish some would have been able to take Battletech to the next level in terms of turn based combat. I fear that this game is the nail in the coffin for the brand.

I'm tempted to buy the DLCs and see if they make the game feel like Battletech, but I don't want to reward Harebrained for shitting on the franchise just like Piranha did with the Mechwarrior franchise..

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom