Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Danikas

Arcane
Τhat was all the rage in 2012,7 years later them casuals want different things.
the-witcher-3-release-date.jpg

S.torch

Arbiter
OK I may be a bit dense here, but which part are you butthurt about? That's also incredibly vague. "Advanced RPG mechanics" FFS.

(I'm biased though because I have a strong preference for classless over class-based RPG systems, so while they did break that promise, they broke it in a way that I like.)

Some people can't understand that cRPG leave behind the tabletops RPGs for a lot of reasons.

Harthwain

Magister
OK I may be a bit dense here, but which part are you butthurt about? That's also incredibly vague. "Advanced RPG mechanics" FFS.
"Based on Pen&Paper RPG System"...?:

- No reflection of the PnP system in the game whatsoever, including combat (no lethality, hell, you can even heal mid-combat!).

- You're forced to play as a Solo (with some Netrunner and Techie options. But it was clearly stated that you're NOT a fully-fledged Netrunner. There will be actual Netrunners on missions "with" you).

- No Cyberpsychosis for the player (because story reasons).

In general the gameplay reveal made it obvious that we aren't getting RPG in FPP [based on CP2020 PnP mechanics]. We are getting an FPS with some light RPG elements that simply uses Cyberpunk 2020 setting to promote itself. There is no spirit of Cyberpunk 2020 in there. That's it.

If they were to make a game simply by using the universe of CP2020 nobody would care, but they kept bringing up PnP and its mechanics for some reason, so here we are...

From the screenshots already provided you can see how they started shifting the whole narration about the game at some point. It's funny, because then they had to try and reassure people that "It's RPG first before it's a shooter" after people saw the first gameplay of Cyberpunk 2077 and "Our game is still first and foremost an RPG" after they changed their game's description from "the role-playing game" to "an open-world, action-adventure story".

Last edited:

S.torch

Arbiter
This thread is getting more tiresome than the Baldur's Gate one.

You think that Deus Ex is RPG? Yes? Then this is going to be a RPG. Keep repeting that this is a FPS, but you're not convincing anyone but yourselves at this point.

Machocruz

Arcane
Between this and some other threads, I'm (re)learning that gamers have poor memories or Stockholm Syndrome, since we're back to believing anything that comes from game developers' mouths/keyboards. Especially a developer like CDPR. Sorry, Witcher 1 is as grognard as it it will get from them, prepare for utter milquetoast game design for the milquetoast masses. Don't expect any scenarios, set pieces as fun or crazy as those you played with your group.
Anyway, I've never experienced Cyberpunk 2020 with anything less than a 5 man party :smug: This game failed comparison to PnP from the jump
:dealwithit:

Last edited:

Danikas

Arcane
Between this and some other threads, I'm (re)learning that gamers have poor memories or Stockholm Syndrome, since we're back to believing anything that comes out of game developers' mouths. Especially a developer like CDPR. Sorry, Witcher 1 is as grognard as it it will get from them, prepare for utter milquetoast game design for the milquetoast masses. Don't expect any scenarios, set pieces as fun or crazy as those you played with your group.
Anyway, I've never experienced Cyberpunk 2020 with anything less than a 5 man party :smug: This game failed comparison to PnP from the jump
:dealwithit:
:grpg:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
It will have deeper gameplay systems than Fallout New Vegas, Deus Ex and System Shock 2... All of them first person scifi rpgs that are subject of wide admiration and fanboyism here on the codex. You fuckers can be so pedantic sometimes.

CaesarCzech

Scholar
Are we really gonna pretend those games had anywhere near as much spoken dialogue as CP2077 will?
It doesn't matter. They can afford to hire 7 voice actors. More lines only means they have to pay for more hours of work.
Can they? Are you sure? Also, is money the only issue?

Let's just think for a moment about the process of recording and implementing voice dialogue.

• Casting calls for actors
  • Decision-making process for hiring the right actors
  • Introducing new actors to the team, getting them up to speed on the project, establishing relationships with directors, superiors, and other important people
  • Actually recording dialogue
  • Recording more dialogue
  • More recording dialogue
  • Running quality control on that dialogue
  • Recording the dialogue again because it wasn't good enough
  • Running quality control on the new dialogue
  • Getting it implemented into the game
  • Re-recording the dialogue because the game was changed
  • Running quality control on that dialogue and re-recording where necessary
Think about all the people involved at all levels of this process. All the recording staff, coders, etc, involved with the recording, QC, implementation, etc. Now multiply that by 7. Not to mention the added complexity involved with having many different audio tracks for every single line of dialogue that must all be firing correctly at all times.

But sure, the only cost involved is hiring a few more voice actors...

Honestly we are not getting old school games till AI understand human voice patterns, that way you just license someone voice, have them do few hundred lines for AI to get data on speech pattern, emotional etc. Until then Damn.

Prime Junta

Honestly we are not getting old school games till AI understand human voice patterns, that way you just license someone voice, have them do few hundred lines for AI to get data on speech pattern, emotional etc. Until then Damn.

Voice synthesis is really good already. It's just not used in games much, if at all.

CaesarCzech

Scholar

Voice synthesis is really good already. It's just not used in games much, if at all.

Okay thats its curious, i wonder why nobody went for that.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2

Thanks but that's not the one I was looking for.
There was another (yellowish letters on a dark-bluish background) that was low resolution and somebody reconstructed the writing

Too bad I don't remember the source and more details about its context.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
(I'm biased though because I have a strong preference for classless over class-based RPG systems, so while they did break that promise, they broke it in a way that I like.)

The roles (not so much classes) in Cyberpunk were pretty lax and nonrestrictive, though. There was a special skill and a career package that didn’t prevent learning things outside the characters ”comfort zone”.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
found it

ssRl0sm.png

• giphy.gif

KEY POINTS

RPG, NON-LINEAR GAMEPLAY
    TACTICAL MODE
    TWO SANDBOX ENVIRONMENTS
    STREETS OF NIGHT CITY
    INTERACTIVE NON-LINEAR SCENES
    LOW-LEVEL, QUEST BASED STORY
    HI-TECH AND CYBERWEAR
    BRAINDANCE

200.gif
a0Bhsnib.png

Last edited:

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Cyberpunk2077 was literally hailed as PnP conversion. Isometric. top down or any other view is irrelevant to this case. You had game director telling in one of polish interviews about how they will convert whole game from PnP into game. Fixing classes, modernizing setting, challenge to some of classes that works well in PnP but could be troublesome in crpg etc. I said isometric because this is basically what people call this days camera that is not third person or first person. It was supposed to be what BG2 was to D&D.

Obviously like i said earlier when they saw bank after TW3 naturally doing TW3 with guns is better for them.

here cunts for all of you interview for polish gram.pl with Mateusz Kanik (cb2077 game director at the time) after they shown first trailer for 2077. I once translated key points somewhere here in one of codex threads.

some key points:
- systems based of 2020
- they completely ignore v3 setting.
- rebalance classes saying some were to good in 2020
- player character creation
- interviewer disses Betsheda on fallout saying Obsidian Fallout because Betsheda doesn't do RPGs.:D
- sandbox

If it was supposed to be what BG2 was to D&D, what in your opinion is now in respect to what!? :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom