Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Goddamn isometricfags, do your homework.

7 of the 10 greatest RPGs of all time are isometric, and 2 others have isometric-esque cams.

Authoritative source:

Top%2B10%2BBest%2BPC%2BRPGs%2Bof%2BAll%2BTime.png

Latro

Arcane

Viata

Arcane

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
The thing with this thread is that is by its nature is superfluous.

If an RPG is art, and art is whatever speaks to you, then a masterpiece is that RPG that spoke to you, that particular one that made your eyes glaze over and made you happy.

This thread has no real end, because there is no real end to taste, or personal preference - it feels like a weird unstoppable-force-meets-unbreakable-object task to assess which RPG is "an objective masterpiece".

So other than Lilura wanting to screen the people that think like her, she's not really accomplishing anything. No one here really is. Unless we reset and we objectively ascertain that we all, here, love RPGs and simply learn to accept that each one of us love different aspects of it.

If an RPG is not art for you, and you're not really looking for that needle in the haystack that makes you go "WOW!", then your agenda probably doesn't care about this thread to begin with.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
but you dislike Fallout and JA2, faker
He is a retard.
Is this true, ItsChon ?
I don't dislike JA2. JA2's turn based combat is undeniably great, but the game itself is not my cup of tea, as it's far closer to a tactical strategy type game than it is an RPG. I don't enjoy most blobbers either, but you won't catch me saying Ultima or Wizardry or M&M are shit games.

As for Fallout, yeah I've been vocal about hating both 1 & 2. I've played both, and I'd love for someone to bring up actual arguments regarding my very legitimate criticisms for the game, but this is the Codex, so I doubt that'll happen. So, inb4

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Trashos

Arcane
If an RPG is art, and art is whatever speaks to you, then a masterpiece is that RPG that spoke to you, that particular one that made your eyes glaze over and made you happy.

We can all see that several classical music compositions are masterpieces, even if they are not our cup of tea. Also, you may or may not like Don Quixote or 100 Years of Solitude, but has there been anyone ever who does not consider them masterpieces?

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

We can all see that several classical music compositions are masterpieces, even if they are not our cup of tea. Also, you may or may not like Don Quixote or 100 Years of Solitude, but has there been anyone ever who does not consider them masterpieces?
Your question is undeniably very good, and expertly pitched as well. It is very hard for me to answer it, nothing unexpected, I assume, on your part.

I believe that the process of "proclaiming X as a masterpiece" is a cvasidimensional process. It is also a process determined by more than 1 mind or 1 perspective.

Henceforth we can assume that if I proclaim: "Betrayal at Krondor is a masterpiece." - that particular sentence might get countered instantly by a different perspective, and by the fact that only a few decades have passed since that RPG was released.
Meanwhile what you've quoted have had considerably larger periods of time to their name.

My answer?

I do not know.

And I think it's equally valuable in life to know when you don't know enough. And I don't.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom