Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
It proves that most of these niggas making RPGs have never played one session of one tabletop game, or a single one of the CRPG classics. If they had, maybe, if they had a bit of a craftman's pride or the capacity to feel shame, they would not try to fob off the utterly lazy, simplistic, insulting wank on us that they do.

Sadly, more than a few of them have played tabletop RPGs and classic cRPGs, but they've resigned themselves to creating games designed for humanity's lowest common denominator in order to pay the bills.

Some lack any sense of pride and/or shame, but the rest suffer, knowing that they're doomed to slop hogs for the rest of their careers. For most people, it's very difficult to change profession unless they're absolutely forced to; furthermore, games are a luxury entertainment, so being a shameless, artless sellout isn't exactly immoral or unethical. No one's forced to endure your creatively bankrupt garbage. It's just pathetic and sad.

Still and all, it pleases me to know that they're suffering. They should all enroll in trade schools and apprentice to become plumbers or electricians—both professions are sorely needed (average age of a master plumber or electrician in the US is about 50ish), and frankly they'd likely earn more money working a real job while enduring FAR less work-related stress. Best of all, they'd be providing a useful and valuable service that improves society, which would be a major improvement over churning out shovelware.

The PnP industry itself has been declining too. The tranny and wahmenstronk culture has infiltrated the hobby deeply, and nerds being nerds, they either join the cult to find fulfillment to their sexual fantasies, or bend over to demonstrate tolerance and altruism. In the end, the ones who are affected are the ones who just want to play a fucking normal game but have to find some way to circumvent the accompanying political bullshit (whether as part of the lore, the weirdo demographic who might creep into your table, or some other related issue).

And let's not forget the increasing number of story games that are passing off as RPGs. I like games such as Microscope, but they're not RPGs. Passing around tokens while telling a story does not an RPG make.

Diggfinger

Arcane
There have to be constraints on the players no matter how high their levels get - it's part of muh balinse.

Modern popamolers expect God Mode after level 3 and no more inconveniences but alas this is the way of fail and decline.

Vitality could not get much better, it has been adjusted and fine tuned for at least 20 years. It's just right even for higher level players. Still requires you to get some rest or renew your stamina some once you have been exhausted enough.

Look, clicking 10 times x 8 characters on a fountain to restore stamina for everybody on high levels is not fun by any means. Period. Neither is manually casting Refresh on everybody a bunch of times. And I probably did both more times than anyone else on the planet, for the good 20 years. In the end, I just Artmoney-ed myself 255x bauderdash cake and used it instead, to preserve my wrist (and to keep my brain aneurysm-free).

Heck, Grimoire has had autoheal routine for 20 years, why not simply include Refresh in there? Automated hitpoint restoration is supposed to be incline, how come automated stamina restoration is not?

hqdefault.jpg

"Noch eine Bauderdash Kuche, bitte sehr Herr Blakemore??"

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
The PnP industry itself has been declining too. The tranny and wahmenstronk culture has infiltrated the hobby deeply, and nerds being nerds, they either join the cult to find fulfillment to their sexual fantasies, or bend over to demonstrate tolerance and altruism. In the end, the ones who are affected are the ones who just want to play a fucking normal game but have to find some way to circumvent the accompanying political bullshit (whether as part of the lore, the weirdo demographic who might creep into your table, or some other related issue).

Hell, I know that better than anyone. I discovered PnP through a game of DnD v1.0 at summer camp in 1993, at age 10. In the early 2000s I used to browse RPGnet, but chose to abandon it around 2009 (probably should have done so earlier) due to the absurd SJW infestation. I dropped PnP entirely a couple of years later for much the same reason, though there were other factors as well.

I've still got piles of old core rulebooks and sourcebooks for Call of Cthulhu, Shadowrun, Cyberpunk, Blue Planet, GURPS 3e/4e, Rifts, WEG Star Wars, oWoD, and many more. Tried to give them all away on the Codex a few years back, actually, but threw in the towel because the logistics of so many people picking and choosing was far too much work to try to sort through, on top of the prohibitive difficulty of arranging for recipients to pay their own shipping costs.

karnak

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth

I've still got piles of old core rulebooks and sourcebooks for Call of Cthulhu, Shadowrun, Cyberpunk, Blue Planet, GURPS 3e/4e, Rifts, WEG Star Wars, oWoD, and many more. Tried to give them all away on the Codex a few years back, actually, but threw in the towel because the logistics of so many people picking and choosing was far too much work to try to sort through, on top of the prohibitive difficulty of arranging for recipients to pay their own shipping costs.
If you're not interested in them anymore you may, perhaps, sell them on Ebay. You could earn a few bucks and help make some young collectors and RPG enthusiasts very happy.
I know because it was thanks to Ebay and some owner/sellers of old RPG stuff that I managed to grab some fine pieces of PnP History.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
If you're not interested in them anymore you may, perhaps, sell them on Ebay. You could earn a few bucks and help make some young collectors and RPG enthusiasts very happy.
I know because it was thanks to Ebay and some owner/sellers of old RPG stuff that I managed to grab some fine pieces of PnP History.

It's just not worth it. Ebaying them would require drafting dozens of individual listings, each with a photograph, then monitoring the listings regularly and shipping everything piece by piece. I don't have time for that. It's far easier to just store them.

I could simply drop them off at a FLGS, right? Well, I tried that, too. They want them practically for free, as in a dollar per pile (or something like that). I figured that if I had to give them away anyway, I might as well cut out the middle man... though to be fair, my experience trying to give them away to individuals may be a good argument in favor.

A few of the books are actually quite valuable, such as a 30th anniversary edition of Call of Cthulhu that's still in its (very thick) plastic wrap. I think at this point I feel I ought to preserve them in case I do end up wanting to use them again.

karnak

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth

It's just not worth it. Ebaying them would require drafting dozens of individual listings, each with a photograph, then monitoring the listings regularly and shipping everything piece by piece. I don't have time for that. It's far easier to just store them.

I could simply drop them off at a FLGS, right? Well, I tried that, too. They want them practically for free, as in a dollar per pile (or something like that). I figured that if I had to give them away anyway, I might as well cut out the middle man... though to be fair, my experience trying to give them away to individuals may be a good argument in favor.

A few of the books are actually quite valuable, such as a 30th anniversary edition of Call of Cthulhu that's still in its (very thick) plastic wrap. I think at this point I feel I ought to preserve them in case I do end up wanting to use them again.
I see. Keep them safe, then.
Sooner or later someone worthy will probably show up and you can then offer them the goods.

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
After months of silence on steam, we get some talks/hints about a next update:

Steam:

GOLDEN ERA GAMES [developer] 23 hours ago :
Just had a stab at that ALT-TAB the other day. It is one thing remaining the game could really use. The problem is that with the threading model used it almost certainly requires some locking and I have tried to avoid locking unless absolutely necessary. I will make a renewed effort to implement this in the next release. I am working hard on my Apocalypse Cycle right now and only have a couple hours a week to addressing features in Grimoire.

Steam:
Next" button on the game introduction story on game start is broken, i cant start the game! :(

GOLDEN ERA GAMES [developer] 23 hours ago
Been meaning to gray that button out at the end of the narrative. Will get this into next update.

Steam:
Very minor bug, or graphical glitch here > _ >
In the Snark Mistress,
When you put the cracker soda in the pickling vinegar barrel in the lower birth of the snark mistress, it causes the door to Black Pierre's cabin to open, if you go back up to that area of the Snark Mistress and face the open door and turn to the left or right, the graphic of the door appears closed when you do so

Good eyes on that and unfortunately this one cannot be remedied, there is no transition graphic for the doors in the side view. Sorry, you will have to use your imagination ...
steamhappy

Solanacean

Educated
The threading model in Grimoire is weird. There are two threads, one of which performs some preliminary initialization, sets up a window procedure and finally starts another thread where all the fun takes place. From the point the second thread is spawned the first thread does essentially nothing - it just pumps keyboard and mouse messages to the second thread for processing. Oh, and it also redraws the screen upon receiving WM_PAINT message, which is a problem since as far as I can tell there is no synchronization between the two threads so nothing prevents them from running the same screen updating code simultaneously or simultaneously reading/modifying the shared variables which the screen updating code uses, thus veering straight into undefined behaviour territory (however small the chance may be).

GandGolf

Augur

Steam:

Just had a stab at that ALT-TAB the other day. It is one thing remaining the game could really use. The problem is that with the threading model used it almost certainly requires some locking and I have tried to avoid locking unless absolutely necessary. I will make a renewed effort to implement this in the next release. I am working hard on my Apocalypse Cycle right now and only have a couple hours a week to addressing features in Grimoire.

Steam:
Next" button on the game introduction story on game start is broken, i cant start the game! :(

Been meaning to gray that button out at the end of the narrative. Will get this into next update.

Steam:
In the Snark Mistress,
When you put the cracker soda in the pickling vinegar barrel in the lower birth of the snark mistress, it causes the door to Black Pierre's cabin to open, if you go back up to that area of the Snark Mistress and face the open door and turn to the left or right, the graphic of the door appears closed when you do so

Good eyes on that and unfortunately this one cannot be remedied, there is no transition graphic for the doors in the side view. Sorry, you will have to use your imagination ...
steamhappy

But will the player finally be able to access the save/load menu by pressing the escape key?

Valky

Arcane
Manlet

Steam:

Steam:

Steam:
In the Snark Mistress,

steamhappy

But will the player finally be able to access the save/load menu by pressing the escape key?
How hard is it to just click the icon? :decline:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom