Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex 2019 GOTY - VOTE NOW!

Latro

Arcane
The standards of what is an RPG degrades to a shallow level up progression system, dice rolls, and a skill system that amounts to window dressing.
But throw "combat" onto that list and all is somehow well
Yes. The level up system would have a real point to it, not just there to keep the player back as a sort of progression system; dice rolls would matter in a combat context (very important!), and even skills would become important (do I really need to explain this?!)

so, uh, doink?!

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
* I think Dungeon Master, Eye of the Beholder, Ultima Underworld, Daggerfall & Morrowind, etc aren't arpgs, but pure crpgs in real time, because there is a fundamental difference with Dark Souls or Diablo clones: Character skills, formulas and rng are more relevant in regard combat success than player reflexes.
Do you really want to die on a hill defending that Dungeon Master and Eye of the Beholder - AKA "combat tango" games - do not rely heavily on player reflexes?

Prime Junta

just a friendly reminder its one of the last threads you see cunta in before the inevitable neutralisation is carried out, stay kind and patient with the dead man walking

The question is, will it happen before or after I hit 10,000 messages?

Edit: updated quote for style error fixes

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
All of those games have combat. :thinking:
There's really no other way to put it. The standards of what is an RPG degrades to a shallow level up progression system, dice rolls, and a skill system that amounts to window dressing.

Someone please explain to me how this isn't the definition of DECLINE. Literal decline. The real thing. Not just "game I don't like". The best approximation for Disco Elysium would be "RPG-lite", or perhaps "RPG-like", like a fucking roguelike game.

But what is RPG? We need to find out first.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The standards of what is an RPG degrades to a shallow level up progression system, dice rolls, and a skill system that amounts to window dressing.
But throw "combat" onto that list and all is somehow well
Yes.
Great, now respond to the rest of my post. If each and every single one of these elements is shit in a given RPG, why do you still prefer it to a hybrid? It makes no sense to me.
The level up system would a real point to it, not just there to keep the player back as a sort of progression system;
What does "keep the player back as a sort of progression system" even mean? What practical difference does it make if you're cockblocked by a skill check rather than an impassable combat encounter until you've levelled up sufficiently? Besides, there are other RPGs that can be beaten without levelling up once.
dice rolls would matter in a combat context (very important!)
My point is also (very important!), so it evens out.
skills would become important
Skills are important to access side content, which is a common feature in RPGs.

Latro

Arcane
Great, now respond to the rest of my post. If each and every single one of these elements is shit in a given RPG
Because it's flat-out not worth addressing. Whether the combat is bad or not doesn't make a lick of difference. Are you gonna pull a Chon and say Fallout 1 (or any other game, PS:T) would have been better without combat? I think I've even joked about PS:T in this way, but I didn't actually mean it!

What practical difference does it make if you're cockblocked by a skill check rather than an impassable combat encounter until you've levelled up sufficiently?
Are you really saying trying to figure your way out of a difficult combat encounter is comparable to a skill check? Come on. Come on...

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
here's a little spoiler: Disco has the highest % of 4/4 votes than any title before, including AoD, Underrail, Witcher 3 and D:OS.

HIyIFIE.png

Turns out in the end fantaretard is just another shit newfag butthurt that the codex doesn't like the new games he likes.

and with dementia

Ok old chap,it is time to take your meds and lay down. I do know it is hard thing to understand that people don't use cassettes any more and such things like digital shops exists. Just go and play your amiga trash and let your phone cool down. Your screeching about the boogeyman known as decline when we get great games every single years just shows that you don't even play games any more,and just come here to be an attention whore. Calling me a newfag just shows how retarded you are,you poor little bitch. I do like all kind of games and it doesn't matter when they were released. You are neither oldfag nor a grognard,you are just some creep that knows only to hate and screech left and right,you remind me of those sad feminist retards out there. In the last 3 years i have been here,i haven't seen you post a decent post and contribute to any discussion,all you do is trying to be edgy but don't get it that the times had moved on and you just come off ass some old creep.

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Great, now respond to the rest of my post. If each and every single one of these elements is shit in a given RPG, why do you still prefer it to a hybrid? It makes no sense to me.

if monkey island has no combat, this makes it a better rpg than ps:t which has bad combat

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Whether the combat is bad or not doesn't make a lick of difference.
It does to the quality of the game. Don't you care about that?
Are you really saying trying to figure your way out of a difficult combat encounter is comparable to a skill check? Come on. Come on...
I am. You seem to be imagining good combat for some reason. There is no "figuring your way out of" anything, you're just dead if you fail the initiative roll or the spell save or whatever. Tell me this doesn't happen in RPG combat. Not to mention encounters where you're script-killed if you haven't solved the requisite puzzles or are too low-level or whatever.

if monkey island has no combat, this makes it a better rpg than ps:t which has bad combat
Saying that removing combat strengthens a game's RPG credentials would be retarded, which is why I didn't say that.
Besides, we're not talking about "better" and "worse" RPG, we're talking about "less" and "more" RPG.

Latro

Arcane
It does to the quality of the game
Topic at hand is "What is an RPG?". Disco Elysium is not an RPG, and even by RPG-lite standards really pushes what we can actually consider an RPG. It shouldn't even be in the polls.

You seem to be imagining good combat for some reason.
I've already said my argument has nothing to do with good or bad combat; the game has no combat period, meaning all the "RPG" mechanics are outright either superfluous or unnecessary. When I say some random Nep game is more RPG, I mean it.

Besides, we're not talking about "better" and "worse" RPG, we're talking about "less" and "more" RPG.

Not we. You. I openly dislike this game for its writing, but in this thread I am attacking it for not being an RPG; for seriously declining whatever standards we have left for RPG.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Why are combatfags so fucking butthurt and insecure....always? I mean,as you said,we the storyfags are just keeping to our own threads and don't go sperg shit in your combatfag threads. Yet you combatfags can't stop whining and complaining about storyfags and constantly sperg in storyfag focused threads. Why so butthurt that people like games that you don't even play? I am yet to see a storyfag come in to a thread and say "hurr durr this game shouldn't exits because the shit i like is not in it" and then keep on doing it for 3 months.

I am not a combat fag, I just happen to know for a fact that you need gameplay for something to be considered a game.

Also I never stated that combatfags invade storyfaggotry threads. I said that the general gaming forums and gameplay focused discussions are relatively free of your scourge, and that the RPG forums are still a somewhat okay source to base some first impressions of an RPG's quality.
And don't lie about storyfags not shiting up threads of actual videogames. People in the RPG forums saying that X game is shit just because it has weak writing, while completely ignoring every other good aspect, is the daily bread in this place.

As for people complaining about DE, well it's a normal reaction to expect from anyone that isn't a women or fucked in the head. I mean it has barely enough qualities to pass itself as an RPG. Yet not only is it the most shilled ''game'' in the 'Dex since it's release, but it's also allowed in the 'Best RPG of 2019' poll while similar experiences (but with actual emphasis on it's gameply systems) like Pathologic 2 aren't, because... reasons...

It's due to deep-seated insecurities, which draw them to combatfag games in the first place. A combatfag game gives them a safe space where they can feel strong, powerful, and competent. If anything encroaches, they interpret it as a threat to that safe space. This triggers a primal fear of being left alone in the open, with their pitiful feebleness exposed for everyone to see and mock.

This is some really boring bait man.
Kinda feels like a column written by those armchair psychologists for some fag rag.

Last edited:

Latro

Arcane
It shouldn't even be in the polls.
You've just drawn up an arbitrary line separating RPGs from non-RPGs and are extremely upset that not everyone else draws their own line in the same place.
There's nothing arbitrary about it, if the industry can agree there is a difference between "roguelike" and "roguelite", then Disco Elysium would become a "rpglite" at best. Why is it here? Why is it in our polls? Because the devs post here?

Prime Junta

Also can we PLEASE STOP TALKING ABOUT DISCO ELYSIUM. I don't care if you like or hate it I just want it to STOP. I am fed up of hearing about it and the shit it stirs. :argh:

What can you do, Disco is the new Pillars. Every thread inevitably turns to it.

For the same reason too, a few people so chronically butthurt about it that they simply can't help obsessing about it.

Do you really want to die on a hill defending that Dungeon Master and Eye of the Beholder - AKA "combat tango" games - do not rely heavily on player reflexes?

Player reflexes have some influence in every real time (and even RTwP) combat or non combat iteration, but for me there is a fundamental divide between games in which damage level/hit rate/block depends heavily on character/enemy stats constituting combat proficiency core and those games in which those stats are far less relevant or nonexistent, while player reflexes and coordination (by AI, movement fluidity and combat timing) and objects stats/skill combos/potion management are what mostly determine competency levels. I see character skills dependant gameplay as the very core of rpgs, the way in which player truly (and deeper than choice dialogue/action options) "play a role", because he is subordinate to character proficiencies.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom