Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Farewell into the night

Ultima VII: Forge of Virtue

Prime Junta

I really loved all of the Witchers when they came out but I can't into them anymore. The core gameplay is just too repetitive and there's way too much of it; once you've got the hang of it, it's just more of the same, hour after hour after hour. It's the kind of game that makes the "I wish there was a button to skip combat" crowd seem almost relatable.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Witcher 1 is still the best of the trilogy despite the problems though.

I'm not sure if I could pick a best Witcher game. The series as a whole is definitely one of my favorites though.

I really like the plot in TW1, and it has one of my favorite soundtracks of any game, but the aforementioned backtracking does bring it down a bit.

TW2 has the most significant C&C and the best combat in the series. It's a little on the short side though, and the bestiary isn't as varied as the other games.

TW3 has the best writing and characters but is brought down somewhat by the terrible loot system.
Witcher 1: You are a chad fucking whores and killing monsters.
Witcher 2: You need to save your waifu from her bad choices and chad days are over.
Witcher 3: You are a dad seeking for your troublesome not biological daughter and save her from some bad dude she got involved with while you need to finally settle down with your nagging waifu.

Yeah, I can see the Eastern European influences fading away with each title here, that is why I like the first one the best.

Chaosdwarft

Learned
Patron
UPDATE ON MY SITUATION:

• Still on DCS, getting quite close to know how to fly and use my Mirage, I just hope we get the modernized cockpit, it looks so cool.
  • Went back to Xcom2 WOTC, my goal to finally finish that game on Commander Ironman; I think this is my 16th attempt total.
  • Return of the Obra Dinn because everybody kept recommending it (especially my cousin)
Cheers to all!:thumbsup:

Currently playing Fallout 2 for the first time. Guess I fucked up in character creation by sticking to Unarmed :negative:

Unarmed is great/hilarious if you do a specific combo with HtH Evade (huge AC boost), Jinxed (high chance of critical failure for misses, causing enemies to destroy their own guns or kill themsleves) and tagging the skill late (after you've put lots of points into it you tag it to double the skill, which can get you to 300 unarmed + generate hundreds of extra skill points to fuck around with).

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
At present I am going through the "Nier" series by Yoko Taro.
Finally I managed to play and to complete (route A) Nier Gestalt. It runs flawlessy with the latest version of RPCS3 by the way.
Strange RPG this Nier... everything could make sense as it could make sense in a dream... now I have to decide if going through route B of Gestalt or switching temporarily to Drakengard 1 and 3, and then back. After that I will play Automata (already played, but I want to play it again after the other games).
All these games are a kind of dream-like experience.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
I don't know about you but I ditched the annoying one and went with the clearly superior alpha-thot Triss.

JDR13

Arcane
I really loved all of the Witchers when they came out but I can't into them anymore. The core gameplay is just too repetitive and there's way too much of it; once you've got the hang of it, it's just more of the same, hour after hour after hour.

It sounds like you're talking about most RPGs in general tbh.

Prime Junta

Question of degree. There are games with rich enough gameplay and varied enough environments and encounters that it doesn’t turn into a complete grind.

JDR13

Arcane

Question of degree. There are games with rich enough gameplay and varied enough environments and encounters that it doesn’t turn into a complete grind.

To each his own I guess. The only Witcher I found remotely grindy was the first one, and that's only because of the backtracking.

ebPD8PePfC

Savant
Tacoma – It’s a very well made walking simulator that lasts three hours. Not really innovative, but still entertaining. The three hours had no dead time or silly puzzles, which is definitely a plus.

Lemming42

Arcane
I couldn't stand Witcher 1. The plot and characters didn't grab me at all and, as people have mentioned, the game felt very repetitive and tedious with tons of filler. I don't think I finished it.

For this reason I never played Witcher 2 and Witcher 3. Would someone who didn't really like any single aspect of the first game get on better with the sequels? My friend has been badgering me to play at least Witcher 3 and assures me that it's nothing like the first game, but I'm still pressing X to doubt.

Farewell into the night

Yeah, they're different. Just try Witcher 3, it's the most advanced from all 3. It's a medieval/fantasy open world, you visit places, get quests, investigate, fight monsters. You can smetimes play as a girl. Console controls/gameplay.

Beowulf

Arcane
I couldn't stand Witcher 1. The plot and characters didn't grab me at all and, as people have mentioned, the game felt very repetitive and tedious with tons of filler. I don't think I finished it.

For this reason I never played Witcher 2 and Witcher 3. Would someone who didn't really like any single aspect of the first game get on better with the sequels? My friend has been badgering me to play at least Witcher 3 and assures me that it's nothing like the first game, but I'm still pressing X to doubt.

W2 and W3 are quite different from W1, indeed. They are more action oriented and you control your character with a more hands-on approach in combat. They are more of action games with stats, with pretty decent writing and quest design; but at the same time some things were dumbed down/"simplified", like alchemy and necessary preparation for taking on monsters (especially in W3).
They are consolised in every meaning of that word, starting from smaller areas (W2 and it's many doors) to poor itemisation and poor menu navigation that tends to be a chore (especially in W3 after a few hour of playing).

But they are not bad if you want to try an action game with beautiful visuals and writing that doesn't insult your intelligence (and is genuinely funny at times). W3 is pretty dumb when it comes to the main story, but it shines in side-content. Consider turning off points of interest and quest compass if you do play it.
I founf myself enjoying the game the most when I just loaded and decided to take stroll through the land and complete a contract or two and maybe then push the story a little forward.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I just finished Shadow of the Tomb Raider and really enjoyed it. The modern trilogy is kind of an odd contrast to the originals, but taken by themselves I think they're really fucking good. It had a corny but lovable ending. I'm going to play either Masquerada or Vigilantes next, but I'm totally fucking addicted to this Free to Play colour by numbers game called ColoringPixels. There's something deeply satisfying about the larger pictures slowly coming together, and it's the perfect kind of game for watching Youtube on the second monitor
n0UeOmI.png

janior

Arcane
Vatnik
Finished my Amazon normal/nightmare/hell playthrough, was pretty rough, especially hell with lighting immunes, respecing into poison/plague jav helped a lot.
Gonna attempt full HC playthrough with sorc now, should be fun.

JDR13

Arcane

I'm not sure how anyone who enjoys gaming could seriously claim they didn't like a single aspect of The Witcher. Even if you didn't like the plot, which was excellent, the game is worth playing for the soundtrack alone.

.Pixote.

Augur
Currently playing Fallout 2 for the first time. Guess I fucked up in character creation by sticking to Unarmed :negative:

Not at all...Unarmed can make a very effective killing machine, but you need to nuance your fights, and pick and choose the random encounters. Your goal is to get the Slayer perk, but try to steal the spiked knuckles from the Dunton brothers in Klamath first, before obtaining the power fist, then mega power fist.

I would recommend a character with high agility, luck, intelligence...then endurance, strength, perception... charisma can be a dump stat. If possible start with 8 luck and then boost it at the NCR with the Hubologists to 10, this will help with the jinxed trait.

As for traits - Jinxed and Gifted...watch everyone suffer critical failures while you smash their heads in.

Get plenty of Buffout, Jet, Psycho and stimpaks. You can even play solo with this build for an extra challenge.

The perks I would choose would be -

Toughness ( x 3 if possible)
Action Boy ( x 2 if possible)

Awareness
Bonus HtH Attacks
Bonus Move ( x 2 if possible)
Lifegiver ( x 2 if possible)
Slayer

Dermal Impact Assault Enhancement (if you can afford it)

Playing a melee solo game, or with a single NPC is pure pleasure...

Lemming42

Arcane
I'm not sure how anyone who enjoys gaming could seriously claim they didn't like a single aspect of The Witcher. Even if you didn't like the plot, which was excellent, the game is worth playing for the soundtrack alone.

Can't remember the soundtrack. All I remember is walking back and forth across a needlessly large map (possibly the swamp people are talking about) getting filler quests I didn't care about, occasionally getting into pretty dull combat, and a plot that seemed almost anime-esque (we're a special mutant with cool glowing eyes and silver hair, we're the best swordfighter ever, we have amnesia, and everyone wants to fuck us). I know that's likely to be an annoyingly reductive description, but it's quite literally my entire memory of the game, so I can't really go into any more depth than that or defend my opinion against people who are much more familiar with the game.

I'll probably try TW3 at some point, cheers to the people who recommended it.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Wizards & Warriors is such a ridiculous piece of software. I get stuck in the first dungeon on a puzzle with some fire jets and triggers and levers and descending portcullises and whatnot. I try for a while but I've no idea what to do and nothing works, so the interwebs are consulted. The answer? "There's a solution to this puzzle but it only works about 5% of the time, better just grab a treasure chest and run really fast at the portcullis so you can wedge it under before it closes." :lol:

Fun game though.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Witcher 1 is still the best of the trilogy despite the problems though.

I'm not sure if I could pick a best Witcher game. The series as a whole is definitely one of my favorites though.

I really like the plot in TW1, and it has one of my favorite soundtracks of any game, but the aforementioned backtracking does bring it down a bit.

TW2 has the most significant C&C and the best combat in the series. It's a little on the short side though, and the bestiary isn't as varied as the other games.

TW3 has the best writing and characters but is brought down somewhat by the terrible loot system.

Overall I think I liked 2 the best. The overall story has better pace and structure, although the highest point of Witcher 3 is better (The Baron and the witches arc).

I enjoyed the combat in both, although is very flawed. But for a RPG worked well.

Size of the areas in W2 were the correct one to avoid pointless hiking, but interesting to explore. The world in 3 was very well executed for its big size, but I'm not a big fan of open world games these days.

The worst aspect in W3 is the loot, I agree. The diablo style scaled loot was a shitshow. Whit a proper equipment and weapon system the exploration would have been much better. That would have improved the sense of the world. It was cool idea to search for areas with legendary witcher loot, but 1 hour after that equipment is obsolete, and not only that, everything you find is pointless compared to that witcher equipment, no matter what, really stupid.

Character progression was dull in both, but doesn't avoid game enjoyment. I have to make one day a potion build in W2, that seems the proper one and more fun than focus on magic mastery.

Overall the games are greater thant the sum of their parts. But except for story they are every inferior to the king Dragon's Dogma.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Daze

Red Panda Alt
Played like half of Shadowrun Returns.
God was that mindnumbingly boring.
It's so short and still not worth your time.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Wizards & Warriors is such a ridiculous piece of software. I get stuck in the first dungeon on a puzzle with some fire jets and triggers and levers and descending portcullises and whatnot. I try for a while but I've no idea what to do and nothing works, so the interwebs are consulted. The answer? "There's a solution to this puzzle but it only works about 5% of the time, better just grab a treasure chest and run really fast at the portcullis so you can wedge it under before it closes." :lol:

Fun game though.

A fantastic game actually. Especially the atmosphere in this game is wonderul.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom