Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What is the difference between being an oldfaq and being seriously oldfaq?

Farewell into the night

I have played some role playing games on Commodore 64, is that making me a seriously oldfaq?

Trojan_generic

Magister
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
This is what a not-so-old-oldfag would post (notice early dumbing down):
giphy.gif

This goes into the covered-in-moss and near-fossilized oldfag territory:
giphy.gif

Just to say that any decent computer/console RPGs became available to consumers after pretty much all the other genres were covered.

Trojan_generic

Magister
Isn't that Stellar 7?

It's Battlezone, newfag. An establishment near me had the version with the periscope and military style joysticks. It was fun.

Yes, I am so fucking old as well that I have played such a thing in an arcade (newfags probably have to google what an arcade is). Was so cool that the possibilities of the future gaming technology AND virtual reality seemed limitless. Not so sure anymore, looks more like the excitement of the future is steering tank-sized dykes at a supermarket.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
I think seriously old fags:
* Played at least one adventure/rpg game on a dumb terminal, or attempted to write their own game in such an environment out of boredom
* Played Hunt the Wumpus on a Ti-99, Zork 1 on a C64, and/or Adventure on the 2600 - and were blown away at the time.
* Almost or did purchase an Intellivision when they saw the commercials for Dungeons and Dragons
* Waited more than 30 minutes after pressing play on tape for a game to start.

Old fags:
* Had at least one computer with 4MB or less of memory
* Got at least one game running in DOS (not counting Dosbox) by modifying config.sys and such. (note: Windows 95 came out... damn near 25 years ago.)
* Bought a computer game off of a shelf at a local computer software retailer.

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
Almost or did purchase an Intellivision when they saw the commercials for Dungeons and Dragons

Nobody who ever saw a Colecovision in the flesh could possibly look at an intellivision again, no matter how sexy the D&D commercials. An older boy challenged me to a game of Zaxxon on the Coleco in a computer store and I was totally blown away. However, even then I was far too monocled to ever consider a console. Anyway, by those definitions I seem to slot into the no-mans-land between old and seriously old. There's a lot of time between the 2600 and a PC that could actually play games, and that time was full of mature C64 games and Amigas.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Almost or did purchase an Intellivision when they saw the commercials for Dungeons and Dragons

Nobody who ever saw a Colecovision in the flesh could possibly look at an intellivision again, no matter how sexy the D&D commercials. An older boy challenged me to a game of Zaxxon on the Coleco in a computer store and I was totally blown away. However, even then I was far too monocled to ever consider a console. Anyway, by those definitions I seem to slot into the no-mans-land between old and seriously old. There's a lot of time between the 2600 and a PC that could actually play games, and that time was full of mature C64 games and Amigas.
At the time, since Intellivision had "Dungeons and Dragons" right on the cart, I had assumed it would be some rpg. Little did I know. I stand behind your Colecovision comments, but Colecovision folks were rich graphics whores - I was an Atari peasant.

Cael

Arcane

At the time, since Intellivision had "Dungeons and Dragons" right on the cart, I had assumed it would be some rpg. Little did I know. I stand behind your Colecovision comments, but Colecovision folks were rich graphics whores - I was an Atari peasant.
Hey, Dr Doo was a good Atari game :D

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Hey, I'm as big a fan as anyone but... here goes...

Not even the best Colecovision could do, but the sound is fantastic.

Technically, this is probably a 10 out of 10 on the Atari graphics scale, and it still looks and sounds like shit. You can't go home again, my friend!

Cael

Arcane
Hey, I'm as big a fan as anyone but... here goes...

Not even the best Colecovision could do, but the sound is fantastic.

Technically, this is probably a 10 out of 10 on the Atari graphics scale, and it still looks and sounds like shit. You can't go home again, my friend!

The version I played looked the Colecovision one (in that it was green, but I recall the graphics looked a lot better than that...), but it was definitely an Atari console. Spent far too much time holding up rocks to fall on the bad guys when I was younger :D

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
The version I played looked the Colecovision one (in that it was green, but I recall the graphics looked a lot better than that...), but it was definitely an Atari console. Spent far too much time holding up rocks to fall on the bad guys when I was younger :D
Mr. Do really was a lost gem. :salute:

Trojan_generic

Magister

I had an Intellivision and AD&D 'dungeon run' on it. Colecovision came to the stores at the same time as C64, so that is probably why I never really considered getting one.

paperjack

Literate
In Korea they say that one of the main signs you're growing old is the growing urge of slapping some sense into younger people.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
I always thought that Newfag is kind of a state of mind.

There's the oldfags (like me, I have recently ascended to this prestigious rank), and there's the Really Oldfags, or should I say, Elderfags.

All oldfags are vastly greater power-levels; in short, you are not dealing with the average codexer anymore.

But the Elderfags. They scare me.

Mighty is their knowledge and power. They know everything. Especially what you don't know, and what you don't even know you don't know.

Fear them.

And then there are old fags, like Crispy.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Were there any codexers who could have actually played the PLATO RPGs back in the day?
The Codexer known as Tom Baker's Arse claims to have played The Dungeon (a.k.a. PEDIT5) on the PLATO network at the University of Illinois. +M

Thats right mate. Back in my down-to-my-ass hippie student days at U of I-UC (Urbana-Champaign). I was a novelty with the women on campus back in those days - an Irish grad student with long flowing red hair. Ah the memories of youth.

My advisor’s advisor (at Urbana Champaign) would play on PLATO. I think it was The Dungeon, he said one day they found he had named characters after his grad students and it was weird.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom