Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dark Sun: Shattered Lands starting tips

Poseidon00

Arcane
Oh yeah, and there is a merchant in the elven caravans that sells an unlimited supply of apples that cast ironskin when consumed. Good idea to stock up on these.

marek

Educated
Unfortunately neither of these guarantees avoiding the final bug (and in fact I always kill Wyrmias in Gedron, in both games that get bugged and those that don't). For the longest time I thought it might be picking up the message at the entrance of the area or not, but according to the thread you linked that doesn't seem to make a difference either.
I assume the devs didn't set the required variables on quest completion, but on leaving the map (since you could complete the quest then kill them while they leave). However the map will go to default when they are in the process of leaving and you leave ahead of them - without setting the required state, but also without saving their "about to leave" state.

So you avoid the endgame bug by making sure all scripts that include NPCs leaving or moving on a map are completed. Not just on the battlefield map (the ssuran), but on any map really (probably only on maps including an ally or related NPC, but just to be sure). If don't just use the wand as soon as a quest is done, and don't leave the map if a npc is in the process of leaving, you should be fine: cCompleted the game about once every 2-3 years since release & had no problems using that bug avoidance strategy...

Cael

Arcane
In Dark Sun, your stats go up to 20 for a reason. Plan accordingly.

Clerics in Dark Sun are nerfed. They only get the first 3 Elemental spell levels, but full Cosmos (or the other way around, I forgot). You have to be a Druid to get full casting in both.

The level cap is pretty low in Shattered Lands, so multiclass is recommended. That said you can dual class twice in Dark Sun, potentially giving you three classes, and as a human, you can dual class in interesting ways (Gladiator/Druid/Preserver was a standard one) that you can't multiclass into. Depending on whether you want to import your characters into the sequel, you can play all multiclass or a mix of the two. At low levels, though, few things beat a half-giant fighter/cleric multiclass. Just punch things to death and heal yourself back up afterwards.

Bara

Arcane
Thinking of starting up dark sun after I finish the last of the D&D goldbox games only thing scaring me off is the aforementioned bugs. Specifically the lock out of the final battle for Shatterd lands and apparently the entierty of Wake of the Ravager.

Is there anyone or anyplace out there that perhaps has or hosts a save game before the final battle that properly loads into it for SL? Same for Ravager?

If I had that as a last resort I'll be able to play through both games without being paranoid about breaking it.

Cael

Arcane
Thinking of starting up dark sun after I finish the last of the D&D goldbox games only thing scaring me off is the aforementioned bugs. Specifically the lock out of the final battle for Shatterd lands and apparently the entierty of Wake of the Ravager.

Is there anyone or anyplace out there that perhaps has or hosts a save game before the final battle that properly loads into it for SL? Same for Ravager?

If I had that as a last resort I'll be able to play through both games without being paranoid about breaking it.
When I played Ravager when it first came out, it didn't have any bugs in it. I can't say for certain with new rigs, of course. I played the hell out of it 20+ years ago...

marek

Educated
You need to make sure you give the first game enough time to finish its scripts. If an NPC moves to the edge of the map, wait for him/her to actually leave and only then leave yourself. Esp. important for any potential participant in the final battle. Most bugs are probably introduced by fast travel using loyds rod which easily breaks movement scripts

Wake of the Ravager can be more of a problem, don't know a good bug avoidance strategy except to save often (at least there is no time-delayed endgame bug like in the first part)

marek

Educated

Bara

Arcane
You sir are a true gentlemen hopefully I wont need it but now I can play it more relaxed though I'll keep your warning on the waiting for scripts to finish.

Cael

Arcane
Just a warning: I have heard that importing a party into Ravager doubles the hp of enemies. Not sure how true that is.

Bara

Arcane
Game seems to close to desktop after I save occasionally? Is this a known/typical bug?

The only thing I can think of is that I'm some how clicking exit by mistake when click off the "game is saved" message.

marek

Educated
Game seems to close to desktop after I save occasionally? Is this a known/typical bug?

The only thing I can think of is that I'm some how clicking exit by mistake when click off the "game is saved" message.

Its quite a bit misleading, i guess you used the usual F5 or ESC to save which is save&exit. If you use F1 or the menu to access the save option, you can save normally without dropping from the game (F2 to load)

Bara

Arcane
Welp that's Shatterd lands done on to wake of the Ravager god bless wall of fire.

Thanks again for the save file Marek thankfully it didn't bug out on me so I didn't need it.

JanKrapivin

Novice
Hello! I have a question, if i may. I have a multi-class character, for example fighter/preserver, and it is written in manual that preservers can't use armor. Will my multi-class character be able to use armor? And will it be able to cast magic while wearing an armor?

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Hello! I have a question, if i may. I have a multi-class character, for example fighter/preserver, and it is written in manual that preservers can't use armor. Will my multi-class character be able to use armor? And will it be able to cast magic while wearing an armor?
Multiclassed fighters can equip any weapons or armor, and there's nothing that prevents them from casting with this gear on.

JanKrapivin

Novice
Multiclassed fighters can equip any weapons or armor, and there's nothing that prevents them from casting with this gear on.

Wow, that looks almost like an exploit. So i guess by this logic then, that psionicists/fighters or thieves/fighters can use any armor and not only a leather type without any penalties? And clerics/fighters can use any type of weapons not only of their native sphere?

JanKrapivin

Novice

I had this problem too. Using F1/F2, not ESC or general game menu, helps

For me, if I use the Save after menu, or after F1, it exists to desktop afterwards. The only way it doesn't happen is if I used the Save inside game options, which takes like 20 clicks per save. Any ideas?

JanKrapivin

Novice
Some thoughts after completing the game.

1) Save often, but not too often, save slots are limited and you better to keep saves from 1-2 (or even 3) area maps before current. I was thinking about copying the whole save folder of the game, but got lazy.

2) Look thoroughly for ways/exits to other areas (they vary from 1 to 4)

3) minor spoiler: do not set free gladiators north to Gedron village BEFORE dealing with Wyrmias. Questline will get stuck.

4) minor spoiler: Try to finish all quest and explore all areas BEFORE talking with Gedron major about alliance.

5) Game seems easy after first one third, but final battle is hard as hell.

6) Useful world map can be found here https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/pc/564606-dark-sun-shattered-lands/faqs/1827

For me, if I use the Save after menu, or after F1, it exists to desktop afterwards. The only way it doesn't happen is if I used the Save inside game options, which takes like 20 clicks per save. Any ideas?

Nope..(

Last edited:
I actually figured it out afterwards. The F1 "quick-save" was crashing to desktop for me because I was using it on a save-game that I originally saved using the regular Save. Once I started a new save-game using the F1 Save, it worked fine. That's actually one of the most important things for anyone getting into DS:SL, the F1 quick-save. The other way to save through the game menu takes so many clicks that it's untenable.

P.S. This is a cool game, no doubt, the way you can interact with stuff and solve problems is awesome, but the UI is so obsolete... Having to constantly switch the cursor between view/interact/combat modes is just super annoying over time. Would be nice if someone did a remaster, just modernize the UI and graphics, and keep the gameplay the same, would be amazing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom