Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex 2019 GOTY - VOTE NOW!

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
But very typical of commie retards to put stupid random masturbatory "discussion" over actual facts. It's how they can keep the lie alive that their shit ideology is worth anything since it can only be backed by philosophical masturbation, never by facts.
You really have some kind of hard-on for raging against what you perceive as commies, don't you?

I think there is an underlying issue here.
Why don't you have a seat?
ef350ddf864a3d67d0946da948d36859.jpg

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
If RPG is anything the majority says it is, then RPG characteristics are also anything the majority says, therefore any "discussion" about them in not only uninteresting, it's completely pointless.
And then we should have a "game of the year" thread, not "RPG of the year". And even then DE wouldn't fit. :lol:
I used to think you're just a toxic, sad individual, but I am sorry for my early assessment.

You're a complete fucking idiot of the lowest order. I'm pretty sure even a pile of manure has more gray matter than you do.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
However, it does not follow that any discussion about RPGs or RPG characteristics is necessarily uninteresting or pointless.

How exactly?
Leaving it all to general consensus is exactly what makes any kind of discussion pointless. Because then there is no point is having any classification whatsoever.
Anything can be anything. That's the end of the discussion in this case. Wow, much interest.

If you don't like it, you can always GTFO and start your own site you know.
Well, if you don't like it that there are people who don't appreciate DE for what it is, you can also fuck off.
You know, there's a general gaming subforum where you can take your DE shit. I'm not trying to stop you from discussing DE. Whereas you're trying to convince everyone that DE is totally an RPG that fits in RPG discussion and RPG of the year threads and try to silence anyone that doesn't agree... by claiming that genre definitions don't matter... which is just retarded in itself. Hurr it doesn't matter but it HAS to be here.

You really have some kind of hard-on for raging against what you perceive as commies, don't you?

Perceive? Prime Junta is a proud commie.

You're a complete fucking idiot of the lowest order. I'm pretty sure even a pile of manure has more gray matter than you do.

Kill yourself, gypsy. DE is a piece of shit CYOA. Period.

Please tell me more how choosing "dodge" from a dialogue counts as combat. That's just hilarious.

Prime Junta

How exactly?

- What RPG characteristics are present in this game?
- How are they used?
- How do they affect the gameplay experience?
- How well are they executed?
- How could they be improved?
- How could other games learn from both the successes and the mistakes?
- Were they fun? Why or why not?

... and so on.

Leaving it all to general consensus is exactly what makes any kind of discussion pointless. Because then there is no point is having any classification whatsoever.

While I agree that there's not much point in classifications -- unless you're a librarian, or handing out awards -- that's also a non sequitur. "There is no point to having any classification whatsoever" does not logically follow from "leaving it all to general consensus makes discussion pointless." (Which isn't true either.)

Anything can be anything.

No, things are what the general consensus says they are. The general consensus is that pigs are mammals suitable for human consumption, that means they can't be arachnids or building materials or ideologies.

That's the end of the discussion in this case. Wow, much interest.

Great, I'm glad I've been able to set your mind at rest, then.

Last edited by a moderator:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I somehow missed Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark. It looks interesting and I may give it a go.
It's great. Easily second best this year. The class system and combat and are very enjoyable, and the story is serviceable enough to keep going.
Indeed, it is pretty good.
Its biggest downside is that on one hand it gives you so many classes to try out (and combine) - but on the other hand punishes you severely for actually doing so.
Having a larger number of characters (one for each class or combo you wanna try) that regularly rotate means most of your characters will be behind on XP and levels, forcing you to grind to keep advancing in the story.
You could recruit new characters at a higher level, but their class levels (which are separate) are extremely low - a lvl 5 character with a lvl 9 class will be much better than a lvl 9 character with a lvl 5 class.

Best would be to just pick your 6-7 characters and stick to them - but at the beginning, you don't have most of the classes so you don't even know who to stick with.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
I somehow missed Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark. It looks interesting and I may give it a go.
It's great. Easily second best this year. The class system and combat and are very enjoyable, and the story is serviceable enough to keep going.
Indeed, it is pretty good.
Its biggest downside is that on one hand it gives you so many classes to try out (and combine) - but on the other hand punishes you severely for actually doing so.
Having a larger number of characters (one for each class or combo you wanna try) that regularly rotate means most of your characters will be behind on XP and levels, forcing you to grind to keep advancing in the story.
You could recruit new characters at a higher level, but their class levels (which are separate) are extremely low - a lvl 5 character with a lvl 9 class will be much better than a lvl 9 character with a lvl 5 class.

Best would be to just pick your 6-7 characters and stick to them - but at the beginning, you don't have most of the classes so you don't even know who to stick with.
Well the balancing is off at times, for instance the story classes are mostly worse than badge classes and are useful for passive abilities at best, but in terms of class advancement the game just requires a fair bit of planning. When I scribbled down the planned class paths for all my chars (the base 3 + 3 customs) I managed to get them going interchangeably through functions I need (damage, crowd control, healing) by advancing useful class abilities high, and keeping them as secondary class while they level up the primary one. As for bench sitters I just keep them at minimum (2 extras) doubling class paths of my main team because I only use them in rare cases of injury, it does pay off though to have them accumulating ability points from the very start. Their levels go up fast enough however to not even grind them, because running around high level characters makes them get lots of exp for everything they do. All in all, it's manageable IMO, the system is just quite unique and requires unique approach, a welcome challenge now that I think about it. As usual I am replaying the game for the fourth time though (on hard; with previous runs up to mission ~30, ~20, ~40 consecutively).

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
However the relevance of attributes leveling is secondary. Firstly because the gear bonuses are as powerful as several attributes levels, but also because player imput clicking quickly to drink potions and attack different enemies (or briefly retire to perform some action) is the absolute protagonist over character progression and even special abilities use. When you played Diablo (or even more with most clones), Were you worried about chance to hit, damage and attributes levels and management or more about items adquisition, potion/attack/spells click timing?
Why the distinction between character stas and gear stats? How is that acquiring better gear is not character progression and one of the core features of an RPG? Gear mitigates player reflexes, it what allows a Lv 99 n00b to kill a Lv 1 master player even on an Action RPG, so how come?

Conclussion: Dungeon Master is much more character stats based than Diablo.
Not only I disagree with the part about equipment, but even if we take everything that you wrote as 100% accurate, you're just saying one game is less reliant on player reflexes than other, not that they are entire styles apart, like say Fallout 1 vs Dark Souls. So it's entirely based on personal bias to go "Dungeon Master is a TRUE RPG, but Diablo is not".

V_K

Arcane
Why the distinction between character stas and gear stats?
Because a lot of non-RPGs have gear progression? FPS, RTS, whatever.
one game is less reliant on player reflexes than other
I hate myself for saying that, but the fundamental difference is cooldowns. No matter how fast you click in DM, you won't be able to deal more damage than cooldowns allow you to. Not so in Diablo, where it's all about how fast you can click.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Why the distinction between character stas and gear stats? How is that acquiring better gear is not character progression and one of the core features of an RPG?
Gear is something your character wears. It is NOT part of your character - like inherent attributes, skills, etc. - but something your character uses like a tool.
Only your character can do X, but everyone could take your character's sword and bash someone's head in with it. In theory, anyway, possible arbitrary game-restrictions ignored.

Gear can have progression on its own, but gear progression is not character progression.

"But it's both only numbers on a screen"
Yes, so is the color of the walls and the fact that a button is clickable. Everything is only 0s and 1s here.
But within the game world and setting, a character's abilities and stats are (usually) very much separated from their gear.

you're just saying one game is less reliant on player reflexes than other, not that they are entire styles apart, like say Fallout 1 vs Dark Souls. So it's entirely based on personal bias to go "Dungeon Master is a TRUE RPG, but Diablo is not".
Being less reliant on player reflexes is one of the primary (if not THE primary) aspects of an RPG in contrast to an action game.
That alone would set one above the other in terms of RPG-ness.
But yeah, it wouldn't make one of them a "true" RPG while the other isn't, especially considering DM does still rely on reflexes.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Why the distinction between character stas and gear stats? How is that acquiring better gear is not character progression and one of the core features of an RPG?

Then by this definition you migth as well put damn nearly every action game in your polls...

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
At least for this year we already have a goty contender since Insomnia the ark got released on gog,tho they still haven't readded the quick save function :).

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
At least for this year we already have a goty contender since Insomnia the ark got released on gog,tho they still haven't readded the quick save function :).

Is it worth the price in its current, unpatched state?
Well i just pirated the 1.6 and see no problems with the game,outside of the missing quick save. The game is worth money when finished,but i don't know if it is finished. On the GoG is like 40% sale.

https://af.gog.com/game/insomnia_the_ark?as=1649904300

Last edited by a moderator:

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
Surprised it took this long for someone to bring out the most retarded "what is an RPG" argument of them all: it's an RPG because you play a role.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom