Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex 2019 GOTY - VOTE NOW!

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Battle Brothers -> Only game.
DE -> No game.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
My two favourite games of the year, and perfect complements to each other. I get my combat fix from BB and my storyfag fix from DE.

I don't remember asking for your blog. Keep it somewhere else together with your calls to the Dorito Pope Awards. Nobody in their right mind takes any of them seriously.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Why the distinction between character stas and gear stats? How is that acquiring better gear is not character progression and one of the core features of an RPG?
Gear is something your character wears. It is NOT part of your character - like inherent attributes, skills, etc. - but something your character uses like a tool.
Only your character can do X, but everyone could take your character's sword and bash someone's head in with it. In theory, anyway, possible arbitrary game-restrictions ignored.

Gear can have progression on its own, but gear progression is not character progression.

"But it's both only numbers on a screen"
Yes, so is the color of the walls and the fact that a button is clickable. Everything is only 0s and 1s here.
But within the game world and setting, a character's abilities and stats are (usually) very much separated from their gear.
That was not the point, we were talking about stats x player reflexes. Unless you are now going "yeah stats matter, but it's 20% from character stats and 80% from gear stats, so it doesn't count". If that's the case, I'm out of this crazy talk.

I hate myself for saying that, but the fundamental difference is cooldowns. No matter how fast you click in DM, you won't be able to deal more damage than cooldowns allow you to. Not so in Diablo, where it's all about how fast you can click.
Diablo 3 has cooldowns, so that makes it a fundamentally different game? BTW, Diablo 2 also has them, but they aren't so explicit: https://diablo.fandom.com/wiki/Casting_Delay

Last edited:

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
If you don't like it, you can always GTFO and start your own site you know. :M

Go and chocke on a cock, you fuckin leprechaun.
I still can't believe we lost Bubbles to your pathetic and fetid butthurtness and we can still read your inane pseudo_monocled shit around here.

Last edited:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
3mbefs.jpg
Of all misinterpretations of the RPG genre, the worst is the insipid claim that role-playing games are defined as "games with role-playing". Similar to thinking that adventure games are games with adventure, that shoot-'em-ups, shooters, and shooting games are identical, etc.

The second worst misinterpretation consists of those irritating pedants who seek to deny the existence of the very concept of genre but who nonetheless persist in using the phrase "RPG genre" or "RPG characteristics" so as to be able to claim that anything they like is an RPG while avoiding having to defend their categorization.

Viata

Arcane
If you don't like it, you can always GTFO and start your own site you know. :M

Go and chocke on a cock, you fuckin leprechaun.
I can believe we lost Bubbles to your pathetic and fetid butthurtness and we can still read your inane pseudo_monocled shit around here.
The fact that you even read it is kinda sad. My brain just skip it.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Who among us is truly fit to judge what a role playing game is? Do we not assume a role in every game we play?
Arguably that's the issue here. Despite what the genre's name would suggest, some people would rather classify the games in accordance to how much do they resemble the '80s blobbers.

What...? I think you meant "Fallout and Baldur's Gate". Fun fact, tho: looking into this game' s store page it seems to me like the developers intentionally made the game 's presentation resemble that of other AA titles like PoE, Wasteland 2 etc.

So you got it backwards: the devs are the ones trying to force DE into the RPG genre based off superficial similarities while the angry mob itt is denouncing the game for its lack of substance.

It's quite insulting when you realize "RPG" was chosen simply because out of all the possible genres on the steam store menu, this one has the lowest bar when it comes to expected gameplay. These are the times we're supposed to "get on with": our hobby becoming a mere label that conveniently turns non-games into games ready to be pushed into the tasteless masses.

Fuck, no. Fuck this overgrown tumor and all the pretentious sycophants shilling it.

S.torch

Arbiter
the worst is the insipid claim that role-playing games are defined as "games with role-playing".

It doesn't matter what definition you take over RPGs, none of them are "game with this specific form of combat that I like". Even on tabletop RPGs there already plenty of games that are not centered around smashing vermins.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
It doesn't matter what definition you take over RPGs, none of them are "game with this specific form of combat that I like". Even on tabletop RPGs there already plenty of games that are not centered around smashing vermins.
Improvisational theatre and collaborative storytelling are no doubt interesting hobbies for those who enjoy that sort of thing, but they shouldn't be conflated with RPGs.

original-dandd_main.jpg

Dungeons & Dragons emerged from miniatures wargaming, and combat was one of the three fundamental components (with the character-related and exploration aspects) of Role-Playing Games from the beginning. It isn't necessary for every RPG to have identical combat to D&D, but as a game moves away from particular combat aspects, it does become less like an RPG. Removing combat entirely makes it impossible to consider a game an RPG, just as would removing the character aspects (imagine an "RPG" with no progression, customization, equipment, inventory) or removing exploration.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
Of all misinterpretations of the RPG genre, the worst is the insipid claim that role-playing games are defined as "games with role-playing".
Except they fucking are. Screech your autist lungs out, but the genre started with P&P, and that's exactly what it meant, hence the name. MUDs did exist, and their text descriptive nature was closer to tabletop gameplay than blobbers ever were.

V_K

Arcane
Diablo 3 has cooldowns, so that makes it a fundamentally different game? BTW, Diablo 2 also has them, but they aren't so explicit: https://diablo.fandom.com/wiki/Casting_Delay
DM cooldowns are whole-character cooldowns (well, technically, half-a-character - but they still preclude you from using any ability, not a specific ability), not ability cooldowns. The latter don't stop you from clicking as fast as possible to maximize damage.
I haven't played Diablo 3 so I may be wrong, but my understanding is, to-hit chance in it isn't stat-based but hitbox-based - which does make it a fundamentally different game from DM.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
Improvisational theatre and collaborative storytelling are no doubt interesting hobbies for those who enjoy that sort of thing, but they shouldn't be conflated with RPGs.

Dungeons & Dragons emerged from miniatures wargaming, and combat was one of the three fundamental components (with the character-related and exploration aspects) of Role-Playing Games from the beginning. It isn't necessary for every RPG to have identical combat to D&D, but as a game moves away from particular combat aspects, it does become less like an RPG. Removing combat entirely makes it impossible to consider a game an RPG, just as would removing the character aspects (imagine an "RPG" with no progression, customization, equipment, inventory) or removing exploration.
Why can't this be looked at in the opposite way. If RPGs emerged from miniature wargames then it follows that there was a desire to create something new and distinct from miniature wargames, which is where the improvisational storytelling and exploration aspects come in. Moving further away from a reliance on combat as a fundamental component isn't moving further away from RPGs, it's moving further away from wargames; if anything it is making RPGs more uniquely their own genre that doesn't rely on being defined by the very style of game it chose to separate itself from.

I still think Disco Elysium is gay shit

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Dungeons & Dragons emerged from miniatures wargaming, and combat was one of the three fundamental components (with the character-related and exploration aspects) of Role-Playing Games from the beginning.
By those metrics tactical games like XCom would be the most exemplary cRPGs.

You mean, Jagged Alliance 2?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom