Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

cRPG's you want most (that aren't being made)

Unwanted

Cursed Beaver

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Queued
I'm currently writing a paper for uni, about the view Teutonic Knights had on the pagans.
And damn, you know what? Medieval Baltic would be the perfect setting for an RPG. Base it on Christian as well as Baltic Pagan mythology, and leave out all the standard fantasy crap. You can have interesting characters with different viewpoints - some pagans who are tolerant of Christianity and worship Jesus along with their own gods, some Knights who are just in it for the honor and glory and don't see the pagans as enemies of christianity but as noble opponents in battle, some more radical ones who think all pagans are tools of the devil, etc etc.
You have several sides in the conflict - the Knights of course, then the pagans who fight them, some pagans who ally with the Christians to get protection from the knights, some christian cities who are opposed to the Order (Riga)... and it'd be a gritty and brutal setting without trying too hard. There'd be a lot of military campaigns of pagans and christians against each other, including the pillaging of villages by both sides. Merciless guerrilla warfare.
And in the middle of it, there could be a storyline with mythological elements. Something like in that Czech game Inquisitor, where you have to investigate dark rituals - only here it would be based purely on Christian and Pagan mythology, no fantasy crap at all.

That would be so awesome.

:bro:

Historic RPG's FTW. They are by far the most believable, authentic and rigorous kind and allows complex yet realistic plot.
Why do we need unreal fantasy and speculative science fiction, when we have 2500 years of perfectly documented international history to draw from? not even counting the 3000+ more years of early, more mysterious civilizations.

I don't mind some fantasy/sci-fi from times to times, but history is underused in video games.

I like the absence of simplistic polarization, especially the overused tropes of the reasonable pacifist vs warmongering fools.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What has the most possible potential is history mixed with mythology and folklore. You could have mystery and fantastic elements, but they'd just fit in perfectly to the time, place and culture because they just belong and many people actually believed in the stuff.

My dream setting would be anything in Central/Eastern Europe during the middle ages (the journey of a pagan varangian starting out in Sweden or Novgorod, going down to Kiev and later Constantinople would be fucking awesome; pagan nordic and slavic mythology, orthodox christianity, three major cities of the medieval East with Constantinopolis as the second Rome being the definite high point of the game, you could have political intrigue events based on real history as a story basis... I'M CUMMING BUCKETS) or anything set in ancient Mesopotamia (Sumerian and Akkadian city-states with different political relations to each other - due to the scarcity of sources you even have a lot of freedom in designing actual events and characters -, a large pantheon with different gods that often have disputes among each other, each city being the centre of one god's cult, an amazing atmosphere of early civilization that isn't very old yet but already quite advanced, very interesting mythological creatures, barbarian tribes that attack the large cities occasionally and about whom we know next to nothing apart from what the sources tell us, it's pretty much the perfect setting to combine history and mythology because pretty much all historical sources of the time combine history and myth all the time) because I'm one of those fags who are really into ancient Mesopotamia, most interesting era in history ever.

Or, heck, something set in 17th century Ukraine for the ultimate Kebab Removal campaign.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Ultima Underworld 3. With the Blue Sky peeps, not Warren. And (punching myself in the face as I say this) Garriott making sure the lore is correct but not designing in any way. The first 2 were so good.

Zep--

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Where the fuck is my dinosaur RPG? You could have random humans with shitty dialog and the objective is to eat them. You would get satisfaction from eating humans. But there are other dino asses who want to eat them as well so you have to do turn-based battles. Oh and you could level up and get lasers and shit.

1339447238099.jpg

I want turn-based Jurassic Park and dino role playing god damnit!

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Not sure if you meant it like this, but this thread is about CRPG's that aren't being made...

Zeriel

Arcane
Where the fuck is my dinosaur RPG? You could have random humans with shitty dialog and the objective is to eat them. You would get satisfaction from eating humans. But there are other dino asses who want to eat them as well so you have to do turn-based battles. Oh and you could level up and get lasers and shit.

1339447238099.jpg

l.jpg

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.

1339447238099.jpg

l.jpg

That's a fighting game.

Don't tease me.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Aside from the usual suspects (VtMB, Arcanum, Fallout continued properly, etc); I'd like some sort of (faithful to the style, but with some obvious improvements) continuation to be made for B.A.T. 2 - The Koshan Conspiracy.

Xenich

Cipher
Lets see...

Continuations of:

Buck Rogers
Wizardry
Sentinel Worlds

Citizen

I want a tycoon/rpg hybrid where I play as a city guard capitan and kill adventurer scum trying to sneak into the city

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Vagrant Story 2
Gothic aside, this is the most atmospheric game I ever played. It would be wonderful to have a sequel!

KotoR III

Alpha Protocol 2

Neverwinter Nights 3

The Wolf among uns - Season 2

Darth Canoli

Arcane
  • Wizardry 9 (as in Wiz 8 successor)
  • Fallout 3 (TB isometric one)
  • PST 2 (TB combat, no hipster retarded shit like numanuma or elysium)
  • Might & Magic XI (either following the great trilogy footsteps, III + Xeen or even the next one, as long as it forgets 9 and X ever existed)
  • ToEE 2, a game with way more content this time and with all the races and classes added by Temple+ (vanilla choices are boring)
  • Dark Sun 3, as good as Shattered Lands with a good TB engine and way more sidequests.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
A planet-hopping space opera RPG in the style of Fallout or Arcanum limited voice acting to support truly dynamic dialog with lots of choice and consequence between different space-faring factions.

Silly Germans

cRPG's seem to be slowly recovering, but i haven't seen a game like Sacrifice in ages, actually i don't think i have ever seen another game like it.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
  • Wizardry 9 (as in Wiz 8 successor)
  • Fallout 3 (TB isometric one)
  • PST 2 (TB combat, no hipster retarded shit like numanuma or elysium)
  • Might & Magic XI (either following the great trilogy footsteps, III + Xeen or even the next one, as long as it forgets 9 and X ever existed)
  • ToEE 2, a game with way more content this time and with all the races and classes added by Temple+ (vanilla choices are boring)
  • Dark Sun 3, as good as Shattered Lands with a good TB engine and way more sidequests.
Wizardry could be a Wizardry 7 successor if you ask me. But a wiz8 one would be good too. Some mix of the best parts of both would be probably great.
PST 2 - turn based combat is a given. The problem was weak encounter design and poor general variety in combat, in party composition, etc. You'd have to address these.
M&M 10 wasn't bad. It wasn't great but i wouldn't say it should be completely forgotten.
TOEE 2 - Pathfinder with TB mod somewhat scratches that itch. Hopefully KOTC2 will too. But in general yeah, a TOEE2 sure would be great.

I think i already wrote something similar in 2013: Darklands 2 (with preferably turn based combat).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom