Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I honestly don't believe this data,it seems too inflated. I am curious at how much of those sales are epic buying copies from themself.

Duraframe300

Arcane
I thought TOW was a bestseller. Anyway, Epic was not the only distribution venue for the game, right?

Not really on sold copies on PC and XBOX. Because of Gamepass, but that's really nothing new and expected and was clear by the first sales data with a massive gap between them and PS4 (where it sold surprisingly well). It still did respectably on XBOX though.

Since we have no idea of the estimated success of the game on gamepass (Download Numbers being relevant to Take2/New and Long-Term Subs for Microsoft) we can't say anymore about that.

Not sure how much to trust estimates anyway though really. And yeah, Outer Worlds is impacted by Game Pass, which is the depressing future.

How is a games sales being impacted by GamePass a *depressing future* from a customers perspective?

I mean even if you take Obsidian into perspective, they're not getting anything directly from sales anyway. Now more than ever. And the only ones that need to be concerned about it are Microsoft in the sense that Gamepass has to be profitable. If they view the game as a success, thats all that matters.

Otherwise I really don't see the downside of being able to play through games for a fiver, especially if they have the potential to not be to my liking.

Unless you're talking about the death of physical media, in which case that's a much bigger issue than just gamepass anyway.

Last edited:

Diggfinger

Arcane
SO, I've finished ToW (took about 15H - hard difficulty).

Good, solid game. The world is well-realized, and some quest with good/funny outcomes here and there (Did an amusing number on the scientist in the end). Well-realized and bug-free, good experience throughout (not mind-blowing but good).

However, the RPG mechanics are underwhelming. I never felt I had any tough choices to take since anyway you need 5 perks per level to unlock next tier. The flaws was a nice twist, but just amplified aforementioned issue. This definitely needs to be re-done: tougher skill checks, less perks -> more urgency and trade-offs.

Also, combat, while cool and weapons are nice, was jsut too boring and samey. They need to implement un-expected AI-behavior (a la Borderlands where some enemies could go berzek and attach each other) or ways to mess with their AI (a la bioshock where you could 'charm' enemies).

All in all, I'd give it 6/10. What's there is solid, but needs more depth to really get my interest.
I'm hoping it will turn out great with subsequent patches/DLC.

Basically like PoE- -> started out underwhelming, became great.

Also, does this mean Sawyer is now cooler than Cain/Boyarsky???? (PoE I+II and New VEgas)

:philosoraptor:

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Even with gamepass

This is silly, Game Pass is a big fucking "even". PC gamers have been trained for a decade by Steam sales to seek the best prices available.

I wonder how many of those 154,000 are Windows 7 holdouts who just couldn't use Microsoft's store.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
When they gonna launch this for switch? I just got one for Fire Emblem and it would pretty nice to play this on it compared to my barely 30fps shitty graphics pc. I legit dropped because playing with my setup was unbearable

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Even with gamepass

This is silly, Game Pass is a big fucking "even". PC gamers have been trained for a decade by Steam sales to seek the best prices available.

I wonder how many of those 154,000 are Windows 7 holdouts who just couldn't use Microsoft's store.

It's probably a number greater than 150,000 but not that much. Discussion of TOW isn't anywhere near NV levels. In fact it's already largely forgotten. It hasn't even been three months, and everyone's already moved on.

More optimistic take, Cain and Boyarsky delivered the game Josh Sawyer wishes he could make (the one that people quickly put down).

Diggfinger

Arcane
150K is really not alot, with all the fanfare from Private Division I would have thought it sold upwards of 1 mio by now.

This is only EPIC, right? But then again theres no Steam so only additional source is physical PS4/Xbone?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
How is a games sales being impacted by GamePass a *depressing future* from a customers perspective?

The death of ownership and rise of subscriptions has a fuckton of downsides for consumers that won't be obvious until it really gets rolling. Exclusives, an abundance of services, perpetual payments to play your favorites... look at the streaming video channels for what it will become. If you're one of the many who don't care about these downsides that's fine, but I do.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Even with gamepass, Obsidian barely outselling a meme goose game is terrible. New Vegas sold millions.
It looks like a quality game!

giphy.gif

Duraframe300

Arcane

The death of ownership and rise of subscriptions has a fuckton of downsides for consumers that won't be obvious until it really gets rolling. Exclusives, an abundance of services, perpetual payments to play your favorites... look at the streaming video channels for what it will become. If you're one of the many who don't care about these downsides that's fine, but I do.

Yeah, but as I said thats a much bigger problem than Gamepass alone and started in 2005 with Steam. You don't actually own anything on these services either and they absolutly can block your access to them, your dealing with exclusives already and perpetual payments have been a thing for years regarding online multiplayer on consoles (needing to sign up to their respective online services to play multiplayer)

I mean I absolutly do care about these things, but those are issues we're already dealing with in full price copies.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, but as I said thats a much bigger problem than Gamepass alone and started in 2005 with Steam. You don't actually own anything on these services either and they absolutly can block your access to them, your dealing with exclusives already and perpetual payments have been a thing for years regarding online multiplayer on consoles (needing to sign up to their respective online services to play multiplayer).

I'm against DRM and buy everything I can on GOG, but even when I buy something on Steam it's very different from a subscription service. They technically could take your games, but they don't and have massive incentive not to since it would destroy their business. You buy one and you have perpetual access for a one-time payment. If you don't see a difference between that and a subscription game access service, I don't know what to tell you.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Yeah, but as I said thats a much bigger problem than Gamepass alone and started in 2005 with Steam. You don't actually own anything on these services either and they absolutly can block your access to them, your dealing with exclusives already and perpetual payments have been a thing for years regarding online multiplayer on consoles (needing to sign up to their respective online services to play multiplayer).

I'm against DRM and buy everything I can on GOG, but even when I buy something on Steam it's very different from a subscription service. They technically could take your games, but they don't and have massive incentive not to since it would destroy their business. You buy one and you have perpetual access for a one-time payment. If you don't see a difference between that and a subscription game access service, I don't know what to tell you.

Someday every EA, Ubisoft and Sony will have their own service with a bunch of exclusives and you'll see the difference then.

They have multiple times already. My first account also got nuked. Thankfully I didn't have alot on it back then. If you fuck up or something happens or you're suspected of something (large scale cheating for example) it will happen. And then you're left with nothing and them just being able to say you broke their TOS.

Also 2 of those 3 you mentioned already do have a subscription service. So far I can still buy everything at full price and exclusives began when they opened their own storefronts, NOT in their subscription models (apart from a few pre-release *demos*)

So yeah, all that shit already exists, don't see your point that its suddenly getting worse with a cheap ass subscription. Have more problems with pure streaming.

Edit: You can't be serious. You literary rated my post roll-eyes a second after I posted it without even reading. :lol:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
They have multiple times already. My first account also got nuked. Thankfully I didn't have alot on it back then. If you fuck up or something happens or you're suspected of something (large scale cheating for example) it will happen. And then you're left with nothing and them just being able to say you broke their TOS.

If this was anywhere near common it would be a big deal, yet it's not. I have no idea what kind of batshit insane stuff you did to cause it, but it's not something people worry about for good reason. Also the negatives of DRM literally have nothing to do with what I'm talking about.

And yes they all are tip-toeing into services, my point was about the future. I even used that word.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Why are people obsessing over sales when they don't matter to either obsidian or Microsoft?

Obsidian gets paid regardless of sales because Microsoft is desperate for any non tps/fps games for its gamepass system. And the budget is peanuts for Microsoft anyway.
It is a lot like Monolith and Nintendo.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Why are people obsessing over sales when they don't matter to either obsidian or Microsoft?

Obsidian gets paid regardless of sales because Microsoft is desperate for any non tps/fps games for its gamepass system. And the budget is peanuts for Microsoft anyway.

Technically it was published by 2K or whatever, but yes... it's being used as "get people into Game Pass" fodder, and I'm sure it worked well for that purpose. I doubt Microsoft is disappointed.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Posting Megan Starks's updated resume for posterity. https://www.fictivate.com/games.html

The Outer Worlds / Obsidian Entertainment
Senior Narrative Designer (Team Lead)

Shipped titles: The Outer Worlds (PC, PS4, Switch, Xbox One | Single-Player Sci-Fi RPG)
Rated 86 on Metacritic
Awards: to be added

Work experience:
  • managed a team of game designers and writers to implement core features such as:
    • the critical path/main storyline content
    • companions
      • recruitment, character quest, main conversations, banter, POI barks, interjections, voice sets
    • player ship
      • ADA, the crew meeting, ship events, companion decor, player mementos
    • Phineas' orbital lab
    • voice sets
      • combat and ambient chatter for all factions and speaking creatures in the game, including companions
  • designed and wrote
    • companions
      • SAM
      • Vicar Max (co-wrote with Leonard Boyarsky)
    • iconic, main characters
      • ADA, the Unreliable's Autonomous Digital Astrogator
      • Hiram Blythe, the Information Broker
      • Catherine Malin, a SubLight boss
      • Slaughterhouse Clive, the self-proclaimed Boarst King of Monarch
      • The Corporate Compliance Crew (also known as the C3s): Berthold, Donald, Addie, Hudson, Joy, and Lance
      • Also, some minor but memorable characters including but not limited to: Nelson Mayson, Agnes & Tucker Needham, Jesse Doyle, Ellen Chawla, Edna Ingmire
    • area content and regional storylines
      • Monarch: Fallbrook, C&P Factory, Stellar Bay
      • The Groundbreaker
    • factional characters (establishing a voice unique to the faction)
      • SubLight (the game's organized crime outfit)
      • Automechanicals (the game's robots)
    • quests, computer terminals, examinables / journals, items, and decor descriptions
  • oversaw voice recording and character casting
  • created marketing materials, ad copy, and trailer scripts including:
  • participated in pr and community outreach

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom