Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 182 24.6%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 210 28.4%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 129 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

kryminator

Augur
couldnt decide on par so i ended up soloing

now... does dragon cave hostility drop on reset? I did touch some items i shouldnt have
I think it does. I mean, not exactly Your case, but I have butchered all dragons in the cave and 6 months later they were alive and friendly again ;)

Self-Ejected

Daze

Red Panda Alt
As total noob with pre-Fallout games i can only say that MM3 is very noob-friendly.
Maybe you should start with that.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So I got the Might and Magic series in GOG sale. I tried playing the first one and I got lost... I managed to go down a level but now I am even more lost and my party barely survives encounters. How do I play this?
Cast sleep.
Draw maps.
Save often.
Run from sprites.

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Remember you can only save at the Inn. So return often.
Always Search after winning a battle.
Always use buffing spells like Leather Skin (I think it's called) as soon as you get them. Levitate is especially nice since it saves from many traps.

Dorateen

Arcane
Map of Varn

Map_of_Varn.jpg

newtmonkey

Arcane
Chaosdwarft
Try the application index.php linked above. It should be very simple to install since you're using the GOG install. If you find the interface annoying, this application will make things much easier as it opens up a separate window during combat showing all of your stats in one place, and another optional window showing all monster stats. It also has an automap that uncovers itself as you explore, if you don't want to draw maps for the game.

Give the game a couple of hours, and you'll get used to the interface. It's basically arrow keys to move, 1-6 to select your party members, and in most fights you'll just be pressing A or F to attack and C to cast. One thing you might not have noticed, you can press and hold down CTRL-A to auto fight (every character will just attack the first monster in range, and defend if nothing is in range for them).

Combat is very tough until your wizard gets fireball and lightning bolt, then it gets much more comfortable. Use the Leather Skin spell all the time, if you cast it outside of combat it will stay in effect until you sleep, and it gives you a bonus to AC. Early on while you are exploring the first town and dungeon, there's nothing wrong with winning a battle and heading right back to the inn to save the game. It's a bit tedious, but even a single level up makes a huge difference.

Good luck! It's an amazing game that plays better than it has any right to, considering it was released in 1986! It's well worth taking the time to get used to it.

kryminator

Augur
Guys, are there items +25 to Unarmed/Dodging/Armsmaster in MM7?
I found +25 Disarm/Alchemy/ID-Monster/Items etc items but still have only +10 Unarmed and +11 Armsmaster stuff.
In MM8 I found +17 as maximum Armsmaster bonus and it wasn't even found-able in dragons, it was from Enchant Item. Is MM7 the same in that matter?

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I found +25 Disarm/Alchemy/ID-Monster/Items etc items but still have only +10 Unarmed and +11 Armsmaster stuff.
Three hours of reloading Dragons + Titans loot from my recent run is my only evidence that no, Armsmaster enchants for 12+ skill bonus do not exists in MM7.

At least I got Artifact sword for +10 Armsmaster and Gloves with +10 Unarmed and Dodge (Wallace and Hands of the Master). To my surprise their bonus stack (!) with "normal" enchanted items for whopping +21 (!!) on my Knight and Ninja.

T. Reich

Arcane
Three hours of reloading Dragons + Titans loot from my recent run is my only evidence that no, Armsmaster enchants for 12+ skill bonus do not exists in MM7.

At least I got Artifact sword for +10 Armsmaster and Gloves with +10 Unarmed and Dodge (Wallace and Hands of the Master). To my surprise their bonus stack (!) with "normal" enchanted items for whopping +21 (!!) on my Knight and Ninja.

Known feature.
MM6 stacked all bonuses multiplicatively (there were no +x bonuses).
MM7 (and 8?) stacks magic + artifact bonuses, but only picks the highest bonus if there are more than 1 magic/artifact item with the same bonus.

kryminator

Augur
Thanks for info. Armsmaster bonuses 13-17 in MM7 might be possible using Enchant Item with GM Water Magic. At least that was the case in MM8.

I think MM7/8 stacks bonuses from all artifacts + the highest bonus from magic items.

kryminator

Augur
He definitely appeared when I was playing recently and it was near the well, but I checked all the obelisks beforehand. I think, I also read that obelisks are not needed for this so maybe GrayFace patch could cause that he wont appear until You check all obelisks.
But maybe if you are there at 23th and wait or rest until 24th he won't show up just like that and You need to reenter Murmurwoods.

GrayFace

Barely Literate
I think, I also read that obelisks are not needed for this so maybe GrayFace patch could cause that he wont appear until You check all obelisks.
Yes:
[-] Unicorn King was appearing before obelisks are taken and respawning. Add FixObelisks=0 to INI to disable the fix.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom