Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex 2019 GOTY - VOTE NOW!

S.torch

Arbiter
Dungeons & Dragons emerged from miniatures wargaming, and combat was one of the three fundamental components

If you like Dungeons & Dragons so much, why you don't keep playing Dungeon & Dragons? Is one of the most mainstream and popular tabletop-RPG in existence today. Is the one with most adaptations to videogames.

Why you want everything to be a monopoly of one company? Why you need that every single RPG be made only for your liking? Because be aware, you're are not talking here about the quality of RPGs, for you is basically irrelevant if the mechanics of the RPG in question are good or not, only if they're centered around a specific type of combat, we can say then that you only and exclusively condemn them because you don't like them. And the only thing that would achieve is everything in the genre being the same.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
And if none of the games released this year appeal to you, then maybe the problem are not the games...

And don't pull a "most of the Codex" based on absolutely nothing. I'm the only one here who has the poll numbers, and clearly people enjoyed a lot of games besides Disco Elysium.

Drops in the bucket, nothing that will make it to the next top 70 or be remembered let alone discussed in a few years.
Yeah, but if, say, Metallica's "Master of Puppets" was released today would anybody raise eyebrows? People would be like "Yeah, this is good. Next." probably.

There are no games that try to push the formula forward and do something exceptional. There are only AAA action games with some layer of RPG inspired mechanics and indies that more or less try to recreate the classic experience. You're a robot if you're not fed up at least to an extent.
What fucking formula forward? It’s your fucking fault innovashun morons for this decline. I just want a good fucking iso RPG where stats matter, which has a good story and is somewhat visually appealing. I don’t want to drive gender/genre forward...

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
* I think Dungeon Master, Eye of the Beholder, Ultima Underworld, Daggerfall & Morrowind, etc aren't arpgs, but pure crpgs in real time, because there is a fundamental difference with Dark Souls or Diablo clones: Character skills, formulas and rng are more relevant in regard combat success than player reflexes.
Do you really want to die on a hill defending that Dungeon Master and Eye of the Beholder - AKA "combat tango" games - do not rely heavily on player reflexes?

Original Dungeon Master has a quite a bit less of "combat tango" than, say Legend of Grimrock does, have you even ever played the original DM? there are some enemies which hits like a motherfucker, but not as many as in Grimrock.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
* I think Dungeon Master, Eye of the Beholder, Ultima Underworld, Daggerfall & Morrowind, etc aren't arpgs, but pure crpgs in real time, because there is a fundamental difference with Dark Souls or Diablo clones: Character skills, formulas and rng are more relevant in regard combat success than player reflexes.
Do you really want to die on a hill defending that Dungeon Master and Eye of the Beholder - AKA "combat tango" games - do not rely heavily on player reflexes?

Original Dungeon Master has a quite a bit less of "combat tango" than, say Legend of Grimrock does, have you even ever played the original DM? there are some enemies which hits like a motherfucker, but not as many as in Grimrock.

Pressing back = relying heavily on reflexes now. :lol:
OK, I get that the point is that you can use reflexes to dodge, but saying that something like EOB relies heavily on it, as much as something like DS or Diablo, is as retarded as saying that DE has combat.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
OK, I get that the point is that you can use reflexes to dodge, but saying that something like EOB relies heavily on it, as much as something like DS or Diablo, is as retarded as saying that DE has combat.
I never said "Dungeon Master requires as much reflexes as Dark Souls", but if you differentiate "normal" RPGs from Action-RPGs based on whether player reflexes matter, then Diablo, Dark Souls AND all Real-Time Blobbers should all be in the same category. That was the whole point.

FFS, Chaos Strikes Back starts with you unarmed, in the dark, in a large room full of monsters and you have to walk around collecting weapons, equipping them, casting spells, dodging enemies and killing them one by one - all in real-time. Of course player reflexes plays a big role.

V_K

Arcane
if you differentiate "normal" RPGs from Action-RPGs based on whether player reflexes matter
I'm pretty sure the differentiation here is based on whether reflexes matter more than character stats. And yeah, it's a continuum more than a neat classification, but so it is at the other end of the spectrum, with games like MM6, Final Fantasy or Baldur's Gate mixing up real-time and turn-based (and thus stat-based and reflex-based) in different measures. It doesn't, however, make Baldur's Gate fundamentally the same as Wizardry.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
I never said "Dungeon Master requires as much reflexes as Dark Souls", but if you differentiate "normal" RPGs from Action-RPGs based on whether player reflexes matter, then Diablo, Dark Souls AND all Real-Time Blobbers should all be in the same category. That was the whole point.

FFS, Chaos Strikes Back starts with you unarmed, in the dark, in a large room full of monsters and you have to walk around collecting weapons, equipping them, casting spells, dodging enemies and killing them one by one - all in real-time. Of course player reflexes plays a big role.

This is probably a bit pedantic, but CSB was made for "Dungeon Master" experts, and it's very much designed for those who knows the systems inside and out, it's like throwing someone to start DM from the level 8 or 9 dungeon without anything aka "Good fucking luck". CSB is much more like Grimrock in that it requires more of reflexes and timing than Dungeon Master, and I don't think we'll ever see the dungeon design again like it was in CSB, I remember it being pretty fucking devilish, but it's been a good while since I played it last.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
By those metrics tactical games like XCom would be the most exemplary cRPGs.
Squad-based tactics games are similar to the miniatures wargaming from which D&D arose; they have half the elements of RPGs, but are lacking character progression/customization as well as the exploration elements. X-Com took squad-based tactics, added a strategic overlay with base-building and also some character stats with a bit of progression (through actions related to the stats) but can't be an RPG because it doesn't have any exploration.

Admittedly, X-Com, Jagged Alliance 2, and similar games are closer to being RPGs than Disco Elysium. :martini:

Why can't this be looked at in the opposite way. If RPGs emerged from miniature wargames then it follows that there was a desire to create something new and distinct from miniature wargames, which is where the improvisational storytelling and exploration aspects come in. Moving further away from a reliance on combat as a fundamental component isn't moving further away from RPGs, it's moving further away from wargames; if anything it is making RPGs more uniquely their own genre that doesn't rely on being defined by the very style of game it chose to separate itself from.

I still think Disco Elysium is gay shit
RPGs as a genre are far less combat-focused than miniatures wargames / squad-based tactics games, which are more or less entirely about combat. However, combat (or some kind of confrontation substituting for combat) is still a fundamental component of the RPG genre. And Disco Elysium doesn't have either combat or exploration. :M

If you like Dungeons & Dragons so much, why you don't keep playing Dungeon & Dragons? Is one of the most mainstream and popular tabletop-RPG in existence today. Is the one with most adaptations to videogames.

Why you want everything to be a monopoly of one company? Why you need that every single RPG be made only for your liking? Because be aware, you're are not talking here about the quality of RPGs, for you is basically irrelevant if the mechanics of the RPG in question are good or not, only if they're centered around a specific type of combat, we can say then that you only and exclusively condemn them because you don't like them. And the only thing that would achieve is everything in the genre being the same.
As you might have guessed from my user-name, I enjoy Dungeon Master and other real-time blobbers which diminish the combat aspects of RPGs while enhancing exploration. I also enjoy the Gold Box games and similar RPGs focused on tactical combat at the expense of exploration. Also, Wizardry-likes that are more balanced in their approach. And various Open World RPGs, 3D real-time Dungeon Crawlers, Rogue-likes, JRPGs, C&C-focused RPGs, and Action RPGs. There are a multitude of discernible CRPG subgenres (as well as CRPGs that don't really fit into any existing subgenre), which differ substantially from each other, but nonetheless are all recognizably RPGs derived from Dungeons & Dragons.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
X-Com (the originals: Enemy Unknown and Terror from the Deep from the 90s) had no exploration?

What about the enormous alien bases, terror sites, ufo crash sites? There was a ton of dangerous and rewarding exploration.

Sure, the maps very generated from pre-fabricated elements, like in roguelikes, but they still provided some of the most memorable gaming experiences thanks to the considerable lethality of the environment.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom