Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

cRPG's you want most (that aren't being made)

Darth Canoli

Arcane
TOEE 2 - Pathfinder with TB mod somewhat scratches that itch. Hopefully KOTC2 will too. But in general yeah, a TOEE2 sure would be great.

Pathfinder with the TB mod is alright but it has :
  • Retarded quests in general
  • A lot of kingdom fetch quests which features more loading pages than content
  • Boring building mini-game and kingdom management
  • Some pathfinding issues during combat (resulting in losing one or all your selected character attacks for this turn)
  • Quests and dialogs go from alright to boring, even slightly retarded from time to time

The TB mod lacks some basic features too :
  • "Ready against" actions
  • Attacks of opportunity only occur when you leave the enemy zone of control, not when you enter it, unfortunately
There's more but i forgot.
It's alright, mostly for the character building part and it gets slightly better with the crafting mod and the mods adding feats, spells and traits so you don't die from boredom.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Next Elminage game, preferably in the style of Elminage: Gothic! I dream about this...

Wizardry Empire 4! Preferably announced at the same time as the next Elminage game. Wizardry Empire 2 was one of the best Wizardry games ever made but the series ended with a disappointing 3rd game.

The Dark Spire 2 would be great as well. Good turn-based dungeon crawler that deserved more attention than it got.

Knights of the Chalice 3 with a return to isometric perspective :)

...another game made by the original Xenogears team, doesn't have to be Xeno-related.

...another game made by Ito that isn't Earthbound-related.

Bloodlines 2 except made by the exact same team that made the original VtM: Bloodlines 1, and using Source 2 engine!

Oh, Paper Sorcerer 2 would be nice, or some other new RPG game by the dev.

...and KOTOR 3 written by Avellone while working for Spiders, just to shake up the wishlist.

Oh, hell and while I'm at it how about a direct sequel to Arcanum but with good turn-based combat, eh?

Last edited:

Saerain

Augur
Patron
Neverwinter Nights 3 - Or any spiritual successor thereof. I'd like to think that the surge D&D has experienced screams for a proper "build and run a D&D campaign" toolset along this legacy. Nobody else has done it. D:OS2 is closest, and that's the only reason I have some hope for BG3, but... it's not part of the BG legacy, so who knows if Larian will even consider it important.

Stars Without Number - If anybody wants to show off their simulation-based design chops, here's the IP it'll snuggle up to rather than diluting.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Probably a proper sequel to Deus Ex. A dystopian, credible setting that says something political but not too blunt, with gameplay that emphasizes character builds and exploration. I suppose sequels to the DX-SS-Thief era are now impossible, because these games build on the conventions of shooters of the time while subverting them. The main idea was to make an "intelligent shooter", I suppose... it took them pretty far. The spiritual successors, the other DX games, Bioshock and Prey, etc (not talking about the Thief one), all these games took up the new shooter conventions which, by themselves, became a bit smarter ; the new mix wasn't very convincing, it wasn't subverting anything. You get new games like the new Doom which "go back to shooter roots", being fast-paced and such ; the new shooters are all slow and methodical. Not counting the console conventions and the lack of care for level design, of course. Not saying the new games do everything wrong, but I can't remember a single level from the new DX game.

But truly, the fact is that I do not want, for I have reached the superior organic state of living like a cockroach. Wiser men you shall not see in all the desert, my friend

Dyspaire

Cipher
A serious and adult high fantasy mmorpg built for the 2020s.

The genre is stuck in 2004, and anyone with a whit of imagination can think of a dozen ways a modern, originally-designed mmorpg could also, finally, be a top-notch crpg as well.

Take a page from EVE and build one, massive fantasy world for the entire global player-base to play in at once. Make it as simulation as big as a planet. Room for civilizations to rise and fall.

Or, limit the concurrent players limit to a 64, or 512, or 2048. All kinds of things you could do with story-telling with those numbers.

You could finally do an ai-driven, fully-realized world with the technology we have today. With granular interactivity.

If you can do what No Man's Sky has slowly become for space games, imagine the things you could do with Middle-Earth, or the Forgotten Realms, or hey, a wholly original IP.

Maybe I just don't know of any current projects attempting this, but as much as WoW sort-of ruined the genre, it remains a vastly-untapped way of playing games.

2c

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Some people have already said, but it bears repeating:

A proper sequel to Darklands. Hell, I'd be pleased as punch if someone could just do a "Darklands Workshop" kind of thing.

Also wouldn't mind a sequel, spin-off, or remaster (a good remaster so you know, impossible) of The Legacy: Realm of Terror.

Ysaye

Arbiter
A Blobber in a sci-fi realm (Ideally a "Dark Sun" / "Dune" Desert world on the surface with climate domed enclaves, but Massive Caverns and buried City/Cities underneath and mixed with a semi Star Wars / Phantasy Star vibe) with Tales of the Foresaken overall graphical style. A party of six characters that you would draw from (although you could create many more and leave them in town) would have a really good set of classes, maybe mirroring those of Elminage and has to have some magic classes. Small number or races which actually lend themselves to different advantages as particular classes would also be cool. Also would want alignments that effect classes and equipment as well.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
A proper sequel to Darklands.

You could try Brytenwalda for Warband. Set in Dark Ages with religious aspect. Also, it's more realisitic than Darklands because there is no mythical faggotry.

Molina

Savant
Arcanum 2 : Jazz era, Elvish Fascism and Dwarvish Communism
It's very funny, because now, I don't trust Tim Cain or Boyarski to do it...

Silentstorm

Learned
A Power Rangers-esque setting CRPG, where you can personalize your armor, weapons and team finishers/moves alongside a giant robot, and you just try to investigate or stop the villains with different endings, including an alternate mode where you play as the villains and study the Power Rangers like team and their robot in an attempt to create the ultimate monster that will finally stop them.

Also a lot of resources left behind so that people can mod the crap out of it and make their own campaigns.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
Temple of Elemental Evil 2

I love everything about the first game...well maybe not the bugs :P To me it was a great mix of exploration, combat, party building, and had the best D&D turn based combat ever done in a video game.
Tomb of the Lizard King sounds like a great module for a sequel.

Bigg Boss

Arcane

Star Trek RPG by CD Projekt where you can fuck Klingons and die during the mating ritual. Optimally Frakes would be the main character lending his voice and motion capture to the role. Picard would be in it but he would be undergoing gender reassignment surgery. Ideally it would be a hybrid FPS for immersion.

Last edited:

jungl

Augur
A call back to early 2000 rpgs like original war, freedom force, septera core. Now days there too much cliche fantasy and sci fi settings with unnecessary lore exposition. Here is my take.

Depressing sci fi setting with mutants. A futuristic alien world where insane weather makes a incredibly fractured world and crazy populace. 1/5th of the population are mutants people with all sorts of powers. The world consisting of Small authoritarian city state governments and tribes tend to worship them but some outright hate them. Player takes the role of a mutant that can fly and has somewhat invulnerability. At your local city state you are adored. A fan asks to fly with you somewhere. Its a flooded city. Your flying powers are wonky at best and you lose control and fall in the cities water. The water is acidic and the fan is turned into a ragged corpse. You are captured in a fishing net and the population consisting of cannibal humans and crab people want to eat you and you cant seem to fly now.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I wouldn't mind a space AAA RPG done right. Or AA. Even if it's a hybrid strategy RPG.

Outer Worlds is decent fun but it's hard not to be disappointed after hoping for Space New Vegas for so long.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom