Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Ball Z Kakarot, holy shit finaly DBZ RPG after years of waiting

Alfgart

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Kotaku didn't like it so it must be good

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I've only played a few minutes so far but the combat seems to suck really bad compared to Xenoverse. Hopefully it gets better as you level up. Also is it just me or does it seem like the graphics options aren't working correctly? I'm playing with TAA and 200% internal resolution at 1080p on a 980. I feel like I should be seeing some slowdown but I can't see a difference between 100% and 200%. I also don't see any difference when tabbing out when the game is set to borderless windowed or fullscreen. Seems like it's borderless window no matter what.

Poseidon00

Arcane
What about Attack Of The Saiyans?

Last i checked, that was a DBZ RPG that people seemed to actually like, and the one RPG game where you could have Yamcha deal a lot of damage to enemies, even Broly, if you gave him the right items, granted, Goku and Gohan were better characters, but it's not all games that allow Yamcha to be a damage dealing powerhouse.

This was my first reaction upon reading the OP. Attack of the Saiyans is the definitive Dragonball RPG. And yes, Yamcha is a beast with maxed out speed and evasion.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I saw this computer in Bulma's house and it made me laugh

cimllf.png

deama

Prophet
So is the game any good?

Do you switch from main character to main character as the campaign progresses? Is there a way to just stick as 1 character?

toroid

Arcane
Getting some mixed signals about the quality of this.

On one hand we've got: Janky flight controls and tedious make-work tasks (see Superman 64). Story and gameplay is overtly child accessible which follows the trend of the DBZ story getting dumber with every new version. Detective vision. Simple and repetitive combat. Some sort of weird level scaling system that auto levels your character for story fights (wtf seriously???). Color changes cue critical moments in combat but there's no color blind mode. The skill progression systems are apparently optional and can be ignored. That's as far as I got..

On the other hand: They take the same-ass story and hit all the plot points and present it fairly well, although dumbed down and cheesier. RPG systems I guess.

Overall seems extremely low effort and cost efficient but people gonna buy it anyway because new DBZ.

Last edited:

Poseidon00

Arcane
Super Saiya Densetstu is as good as everyone says it is. I love how you can abandon a party member and take Ginyu instead lol.

Duraframe300

Arcane
I'll wait and see what others have to say.

2 hours in it, bad impression so far. Any rpg mechanics seem entirly collectathons. World spaces are badly designed (imo. zero will to explore really) and the only real enjoyement I can make out is pure fanservice. It's cool to fly around I guess, but thats been done before, better.

Please somebody tell me the quality goes up and I'm wrong about the mechanics. So far Legacy of Goku 2+3 and Attack of the Sayians was a million times better.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Welp, it's seems Dragon Ball FighterZ is still the best Dragon Ball from recent years. It's a shame, I had high hopes for this.

Duraframe300

Arcane
It also skips multiple parts weirdly. Like theres zero indication of Goku having problems with King Kais planets gravity. In fact the whole of snakeway and King Kai exists only as cutscenes, not one playable part. Instead you have a few sequences with Piccolo and Gohan with once again a useless open world being most of it. (And I mean really useless, you have a few badly designed, really small towns with uninteresting NPC's and otherwise just a collectathon of materials) The sidequests are super short as well.

In praxis the only thing you want to do is fly straight to the quest marker and/or do whichever sidequest is around. Which btw. also are quest marked (before you even start them), but their shown in you journal as well. Zero possibility to miss them and again no need for exploration.

My god, this might be the worst jrpg I've played in my life. Everything that can be wrong IS.

Duraframe300

Arcane
I mean again. Shows nearly the full fight with Nappa, including all deaths, but for some reason leaves Krillin's destructo disc out.

This game is weird, man. In a bad way.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
The Virgin Fighter Z vs. the Chad Tenkaichi 3
This would be funny if Fighter Z wouldn't be a million times better.

Nothing beats Tenkaichi 3 when it comes to spectacle and drama. Look up the AI vs AI tournaments hosted by thegreatteacher on Twitch.

As for DBZ Kakarot, I believe devs will never learn that the show was a million times better than any recreation they could do with the engine.

The collector's edition looks pretty sweet. I like everything in it except for the game.

I can get changing things so not to get an M rating in your Dragon Ball Z game, but God damn, they got away with that shit on the show in like '99 or 2000 on Cartoon Network with a tv-pg rating and an after school timeslot. Video game ratings are so fucking stupid.

Poseidon00

Arcane
There don't seem to be many people that play Tenkaichi at a high level, even during it's heyday, which is a shame. Sword Trunks and Krillin are killers with fast, unblockable ki blasts that help you charge in. Yajirobe can pull out surprise victories pretty well

Budokai 3's version of story mode was actually really fun.

Last edited:

The Decline

Arcane
Fuck it I'll just replay Attack of the Saiyans instead. That game was amazing in how it expanded on the story with Dragon Ball call backs and new additions.

Okagron

Prophet
Fuck it I'll just replay Attack of the Saiyans instead. That game was amazing in how it expanded on the story with Dragon Ball call backs and new additions.
Replayed this recently and it's still a very enjoyable game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom