Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Monster Hunter World - G-rank edition. Now on PC.

Vorark

Erudite
Soulsfag detected.

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Also let me address the difficulty a little bit. I have no idea how long it takes to get to an actual interesting fight in MHW but so far 20h in and I haven't died once. So while I totally accept the possibility that the game is not brain dead in end game, I don't feel like spending that much time in a shitty looking world with beyond cringe atmosphere just to experience a good fight. Everyone encouraging to play this game omits how fucking boring it is early on. Fucking fanboyism is out of control.

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
Yea it amuses me that people unironically recommend a game that gets interesting (supposedly) at G rank that takes like 50+ hours to get to? MHW fags are the worst. Of course no one will actually tackle this clear mark of decline because they are kids with too much time on their hands and instead call me a souls fag as if it means anything.

Hey and guess what if this was a storyfag or atmospheric game worth a shit I wouldn't give a shit how long it takes to get to interesting gameplay. But it has none of that so you just end up wasting weeks of your life to get to a place where the gameplay is enjoyable to begin with. The fact you are fanboy cucks enough to go through it is fucking pathetic.

mogwaimon

Magister
Yea it amuses me that people unironically recommend a game that gets interesting (supposedly) at G rank that takes like 50+ hours to get to? MHW fags are the worst. Of course no one will actually tackle this clear mark of decline because they are kids with too much time on their hands and instead call me a souls fag as if it means anything.

Hey and guess what if this was a storyfag or atmospheric game worth a shit I wouldn't give a shit how long it takes to get to interesting gameplay. But it has none of that so you just end up wasting weeks of your life to get to a place where the gameplay is enjoyable to begin with. The fact you are fanboy cucks enough to go through it is fucking pathetic.

go play a MH game before World, then. everyone agrees that World was dumbed down for the casuals, you're a year+ late to the party on that one so of course you think 'no one will [...] tackle this clear mark of decline.' maybe you should go try MH4U or MHFU and then come back. whole different ballgame, but then you'll just be back here complaining that the game is even clunkier and that the graphics are bad.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

go play a MH game before World, then. everyone agrees that World was dumbed down for the casuals, you're a year+ late to the party on that one so of course you think 'no one will [...] tackle this clear mark of decline.' maybe you should go try MH4U or MHFU and then come back. whole different ballgame, but then you'll just be back here complaining that the game is even clunkier and that the graphics are bad.
he probably died and ragequit against anjanath in world then whine on internet

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron

he probably died and ragequit against anjanath in world then whine on internet

What I am mad at is the "incline" in the title that baited me to buy this game cause on paper I should but the execution is not there.

mogwaimon

Magister
so what you're saying is you just blindly buy whatever is marked as 'incline' without doing your due diligence to find if the game is right for you, and then you go and blame the game for not being something that appeals to you. shoulda 'tried the demo' or watched some YT vids

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
Guys you can't deny MH combat feels clunky, and it is so with many weapons ( for example SA or GL) . you csn say it is deliberate choice, but they could achieve much more with better/shorter animations

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
It's definitely a deliberate choice, and a good one. It makes the combat less about twitchy responses to subtle tells and more about positioning and planning your attacks to ensure you'll be able to evade an attack if the need arises. If you want to hit one 5 frame timing window after another without thinking go play Osu or something.

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
It's definitely a deliberate choice, and a good one. It makes the combat less about twitchy responses to subtle tells and more about positioning and planning your attacks to ensure you'll be able to evade an attack if the need arises. If you want to hit one 5 frame timing window after another without thinking go play Osu or something.
If you want to balance cimbat around positioning, then make relevant high damage skills have a high casting time/windup. An example of this done well is in DD where some warrior and sorcerer skills takes long to cast but it makes sense because you are charging all your strenght/ magic power for the hit.
In MH once you give the input the animation start and the character does all kinds of ibtricate piroettes but you have no control at all until animation ends. You can't even redirect the attack, it feels very sluggish and clunky.
I don't say positioning and tactical combat are a bad thing, but they are achieved through the wrong way.
To obtain this it also feeld they added like +2 unnecessary flat seconds to every animation especially using items, healing etc

mogwaimon

Magister
you think the heal in World is bad, check the older games. can't move, stuck flexing for a few seconds. also can't roll backwards, only side to side or forward in older games. also regarding 'make relevant high damage skills have a high casting time/windup'....brah you even ever try Great Sword?
the combat system is the way it is because they don't want you button mashing and still be able to dodge out of a poorly planned attack, they want you to consider an attack before you commit to it. they want you to learn the monster and use that knowledge to know when and where best to strike, and they want you to learn how to best use your weapon to counter what the monster is doing. what's worse is that it sounds like you're using dual blades, which is actually one of the most forgiving weapons when it comes to committing to an attack, since they strike so quickly and all. no one's saying that MH combat isn't clunky or that it's as smooth as DMC or something but it's not meant to be like that, it's meant to be more deliberate, and it's not clunky in a bad way, IMO

Damned Registrations

You can redirect many of the attacks after starting them, you can also dodge cancel out of them. And you give an example of it being done well in DD but that's honestly a terrible example. It doesn't matter where you stand in DD to charge your boom spell or when you time it because it takes so long the enemy can walk over to you and interrupt it before you're even 20% finished. That's not planning ahead, it gambling. For timing and positioning to matter, it needs to be fast enough to be safe to use from some specific position during or after a particular attack, but slow enough that it can't be used from any random position nor at any random time. Most attacks in MH sit in that sweet spot.

Whining about items is especially telling. You want the DD version where you can chug 30 flasks of spring water instantly? You're just begging for all actual skill to be removed from the game. You shouldn't be able to use a healing item without reaching a safe distance first. And you can get the speed to be insanely fast with the right equipment.

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
You can redirect many of the attacks after starting them, you can also dodge cancel out of them. And you give an example of it being done well in DD but that's honestly a terrible example. It doesn't matter where you stand in DD to charge your boom spell or when you time it because it takes so long the enemy can walk over to you and interrupt it before you're even 20% finished. That's not planning ahead, it gambling. For timing and positioning to matter, it needs to be fast enough to be safe to use from some specific position during or after a particular attack, but slow enough that it can't be used from any random position nor at any random time. Most attacks in MH sit in that sweet spot.

Whining about items is especially telling. You want the DD version where you can chug 30 flasks of spring water instantly? You're just begging for all actual skill to be removed from the game. You shouldn't be able to use a healing item without reaching a safe distance first. And you can get the speed to be insanely fast with the right equipment.
i agree no animation instant heal is retarded, but let's not go to the other extreme, where it takes 3-4 seconds ( idk the exact number) to fully heal.
If you think having shorter animation would make the game easier, than double down on monster aggressivity. I don't mind as long i feel i have control ofy char

Damned Registrations

You have control of your character, you're just being a dumbass and throwing him into attacks. Also, the time it takes for a full heal with the right gear and items is probably less than a second. But even 3-4 is honestly very quick considering the battle is going to last 15 minutes+.

You sound like someone complaining about a racing game because you never let off the accelerator and never use the break.

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
You have control of your character, you're just being a dumbass and throwing him into attacks. Also, the time it takes for a full heal with the right gear and items is probably less than a second. But even 3-4 is honestly very quick considering the battle is going to last 15 minutes+.

You sound like someone complaining about a racing game because you never let off the accelerator and never use the break.
You sound like a fanboy now. Only because i don't think the system is perfect you assume i'm a noob.
Well, i'm not a skilled player and good like i can be in souls game, but i can memorize some patterns, it isn't rocket science. The problem is that the combat feels not responsive and thus less enjoyable than other action games.
Ofc MH has some strong points like weapon variety, bosses, crafting and satisfying game loop, but that doesn't excuse clunkiness of combat. Even capcom acknolegde this and improved smoothness compared to old games.
Imho they should keep going this path while comoensating monsters for the higher player agency

Damned Registrations

What you're asking for is being able to avoid taking damage simply by reacting no matter how stupid you've been up to that point during the fight. If you start up a lengthy attack while your opponent is already preparing to attack you in turn, you deserve to get smeared all over the ground.

If you really want to maintain the balance (and I'm sure you don't given your failure to understand why you can't just dodge or heal whenever you want) you could even play the older games just cranking up the speed to x2. It'll be twice as 'responsive' and you'll die in all the same ways. Or hell, go play some Path of Exile. You can zoom zoom to your heart's content and die in a single frame because that's how you balance a game where players can avoid damage at will.

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
What you're asking for is being able to avoid taking damage simply by reacting no matter how stupid you've been up to that point during the fight. If you start up a lengthy attack while your opponent is already preparing to attack you in turn, you deserve to get smeared all over the ground.

If you really want to maintain the balance (and I'm sure you don't given your failure to understand why you can't just dodge or heal whenever you want) you could even play the older games just cranking up the speed to x2. It'll be twice as 'responsive' and you'll die in all the same ways. Or hell, go play some Path of Exile. You can zoom zoom to your heart's content and die in a single frame because that's how you balance a game where players can avoid damage at will.
I'm asking that i can at least partially compensate a tactical mistake with my skill.
If a general underestimate opposite forces and his army get outnumbered, but his men are more skilled, can still win or limit the losses.
I don't want to watch my char get killed because he is doing his magic wombo combo and cannot stop, even if realistically he could make some reflex dodge and survive the hit.
In short i want more action and reflexes in my action games

Damned Registrations

I mean, if you're talking about the dual swords, realistically you cannot stop because you're in a maddening frenzy hacking away without being even slightly aware of your surroundings, much less concerned enough to dodge.

If you want more reflex based play, I'd actually suggest longsword or lance for their counter moves. They've got long windup moves as well but you can create a playstyle focused on waiting and reacting instead of predicting like most weapons rely upon.

In general though, I think the de-emphasis on reflexes and action in MH is what sets it apart from 95% of other action games, and I'd hate to lose that and have it be just another bland generic action game that appeals to nobody in particular.

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
I mean, if you're talking about the dual swords, realistically you cannot stop because you're in a maddening frenzy hacking away without being even slightly aware of your surroundings, much less concerned enough to dodge.

If you want more reflex based play, I'd actually suggest longsword or lance for their counter moves. They've got long windup moves as well but you can create a playstyle focused on waiting and reacting instead of predicting like most weapons rely upon.

In general though, I think the de-emphasis on reflexes and action in MH is what sets it apart from 95% of other action games, and I'd hate to lose that and have it be just another bland generic action game that appeals to nobody in particular.
I have tried 6 weapons so far : Hammer and GL in mh4u and IG, SA, Bow and CB in world.
The hammer felt very basic ( maybe it's better in world) but with satisfying and fluid animations.
GL i forced myself to play the high rank with it because i love the concept, but in retrospect i despised the clunkiness of it.
Bow was just boring ( first impression)
IG i absolutely loved and it was my first main weapon
CB was a slow burner but i'm enjoyed it more as i became more competent
SA is absolute trash for me. Felt the worse of all weapons i have tried

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
Btw i don't really want MH to change its combat. It's nice we have different kind of action combat and all well done and successfull. After all homogenization is what led to current decline so it is always good that unique games thrive.
Maybe some polishing of rough angles and improving some animations would be good, but whatever, it is still a good game

Damned Registrations

SA and CB are too clunky even for my tastes tbh. Pretty much any weapon with a meter or buff you need to fill and expend in a short timeframe to be effective turns me off, because then if the monster enrages or leaves or does some obnoxiously defensive shit, you're just sitting there watching your buff expire. I make an exception for longswords because the weeb jump is too fun to watch.

I'd definitely give the world hammer a try, it's my current favourite and feels very satisfying knocking something out and going into the retarded 7 hit pound combo knowing it'll finish properly unlike other weapons where you're just praying they don't move before your charge blade bullshit finishes.

Lance is pretty interesting in world with it's guard counter/perfect guard stuff, and the charge mobility makes up for it's slow sheathe and walking speeds in a way the other big twohanders do not. It also doesn't have any really long duration attacks. Even in the old days, lance was as much about pinpoint accuracy on a monster's glass jaw as it was about being able to block. First time I was ever in awe of another person playing a video game was seeing a dude online in the original chain stunning a rathalos singlehandedly just by perfectly timing headstabs while the 3 of us struggled to take out it's mate.

I like the dual swords as well but they're not really the dodge spam weapon they look like. Because their range is so shit you've really got a much more limited set of places you can attack a monster from. The jump attack is amazing on several monsters though and they're the best at unloading on a downed monster, so they're good for farming stuff you've outgeared and are using traps and such on.

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
SA and CB are too clunky even for my tastes tbh. Pretty much any weapon with a meter or buff you need to fill and expend in a short timeframe to be effective turns me off, because then if the monster enrages or leaves or does some obnoxiously defensive shit, you're just sitting there watching your buff expire. I make an exception for longswords because the weeb jump is too fun to watch.

I'd definitely give the world hammer a try, it's my current favourite and feels very satisfying knocking something out and going into the retarded 7 hit pound combo knowing it'll finish properly unlike other weapons where you're just praying they don't move before your charge blade bullshit finishes.

Lance is pretty interesting in world with it's guard counter/perfect guard stuff, and the charge mobility makes up for it's slow sheathe and walking speeds in a way the other big twohanders do not. It also doesn't have any really long duration attacks. Even in the old days, lance was as much about pinpoint accuracy on a monster's glass jaw as it was about being able to block. First time I was ever in awe of another person playing a video game was seeing a dude online in the original chain stunning a rathalos singlehandedly just by perfectly timing headstabs while the 3 of us struggled to take out it's mate.

I like the dual swords as well but they're not really the dodge spam weapon they look like. Because their range is so shit you've really got a much more limited set of places you can attack a monster from. The jump attack is amazing on several monsters though and they're the best at unloading on a downed monster, so they're good for farming stuff you've outgeared and are using traps and such on.
Alright if i buy IB i'll give hammer a try.
Btw CB while clunky i appreciate because of SAED and the fact the offers reactivity through guard points. I even started to bully diablos with it before dropping games because university

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom