Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Atelier series

TigerKnee

Arcane
That just sounds like a standard crafting system that many games have?
In most RPGs the crafting system is just "Input specific vendor trash components -> Output end product"

Modern Atelier crafting systems on the other hand have a lot of additional sub systems to the process and each game tends to change it up drastically so you have mechanics like having to adjust Elemental Values on the components for different effects, unlocking traits, Component stacking "Tetris puzzles, custom building component parts for trait inheritance on your final product and so on.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Man Koe Tecmo is ass with its regional pricing.

Every Atelier game costs like 50 - 60 dollars here which is insanely painful. I was kinda happy when I saw "Hey up to 40% discount for Atelier series" in Steam just to realize that even with 30% their games are still hella expensive in non-SG SEA.

Gerrard

Arcane
I have tried to find gameplay of this but it doesn't make any sense to me. I really don't get what you do in these games.

Based on what I have seen, these look like yuri simulators.
I really don't get what you do in these games.
Alchemy.
Alchemy has many uses

uDe2dNK.jpg

Shadenuat

Arcane
done

EraWIbZ.png

fuking dragon at the end pissed me to no end

great atelier game. time management was kinda easy though compared to meruru.

intriguing world, darker than other games I played.

more uncle time with Keith for best time.

time for favorite ValkyrieAurora gaem.

So goys; three new atelier titles out for PC.

Which one should I play ? (I will go only for one though)

1) Atelier Ayesha The Alchemist of Dusk DX

2) Atelier Escha and Logy Alchemists of the Dusk Sky DX

3) Atelier Shallie Alchemists of the Dusk Sea DX

I am leaning on 2 because of choice of male MC though. 3 seems dumbed down, and 1 is standard atelier fare.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Why can't they reissue the first ones in English with or without voice acting? Sheesh, they act like they wouldn't sell. I was actually watching a vid on the Sega Saturn and the dude mentioned that at the time Japan had tons of JRPGs but they just hardly came to the west. I believe it. I don't speak moon language so that no translation means.. no play.

Endemic

Arcane
Why can't they reissue the first ones in English with or without voice acting? Sheesh, they act like they wouldn't sell. I was actually watching a vid on the Sega Saturn and the dude mentioned that at the time Japan had tons of JRPGs but they just hardly came to the west. I believe it. I don't speak moon language so that no translation means.. no play.

If you're talking about the first trilogy (Salburg), there was a PS2 remake which has a fan translation.

towno6kwm.jpg

wpn3cjhm.jpg

combathhj28.jpg

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
okay played sophie a bit. short impression:

-really interesting alchemy. the whole mechanics feel deep.
-combat isn't bad. dunno how deep it will be but it's serviceable
-the loop is surprisingly fresh for me. it's less a regular adventure but more of a rune factory but with alchemy as focus instead of farming

the only thing i dislike is the world and characters are pretty shallow and the writing is really generic. i guess falcom games really have spoiled me in this regard and i can't expect most things to be trails standard in term of worldbuilding and writing. but then i don't feel like people play atelier mainly for their stories.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
So the damage item in this game is actually useful. Early game the nut bomb easily do 20+ damage ans you can find nuts alot in the game.

Shadenuat

Arcane
your effectiviness at combat especially against True Ending Bosses TM in Atelier is all about gear and consumables you craft.

in that respect Escha and Logy is one I like the best now: you have baldurs gate belt, small potion takes 1 slot, large grenade 5 slots; new slots open up with new ranks as you do missions. you can put anything you made there, and all items restock every time you return to base. but there is of course time management so running around too much is bad idea.

also I like drying dying world of Dusk and I like the cute duo of characters. I think this game is growing on me, migh become one of my favorites in series, even though Ayesha is way prettier and has better introduction.

tWInUAi.png

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
you know you're atelering correctly when you cant even see screen under effects you put on the itm and monsters get 1 shot

bFqZZBk.png

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
reached 2 hours limit and honest i am still not sure. it's ok, nothing amazing and i kinda doubt the synthesizing + gathering would hold me for 30 hours+

thinking about refunding and buy utawarerumono instead

Shadenuat

Arcane
aaan finished

standard ending made no sense (whole game my Logy said how he can't be without waifu now and then bam gonna leave lol) to me but thankfully aside from grind ending I had 2 more including going on adventures with cowbow and tony stark together

in the last chapter game forced me to learn combat system which I lovedhated.

half of the characters are like from previous game so seriously beware; play Ayesha first OR DIE

most interesting stuff like side quests and stuff happens during like last chapter which is whole year of free time.

Escha and Logy are a great couple. by anime standarts Logy is like 2/10 Squalls with a single obligatory dark past moment tm which is important for plot for practical reasons and he doesn't brood at all about it

a true gentleman :mlady:

time to play what I heard is BG2 of the series.

it even has STORY difficulty :shitposting:and of course characters from BOTH previous games who ALL have DRESSING opetionsomg~

I can say that the Dusk world is best they came up with from not standard puni infested fantasy lands; wonder if purely by accident or not. the nice music and sudden grafix upgrade alone makes Shallie very pleasant to play, but so do dried out sea desert wastes. also for me Shallistera is one of the prettiest protagonists and I like her casual cute bossy voice acting. it is generally rare in jrpgs since western actressess tryhard struggle so much with high pitch voices.

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
hey its Gothic 2 all over again

YF2apSB.png

"pickingup traash for no caash" great spirit girl, but lyrics need work

the quality of translation is also overwhelming:

qBDqA0Z.png

dis game is like bg/morowind of ateliers i swear. everything is terrificly beautiful compared to other Atelier games and of highest cuteness quality; and world is dying deserts and seas of deadly mushrooms.

Last edited:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Sophie finally click with me after 5 hours or so. Basically when you unlock more party members, opened several areas and unlock several recipes and starting to do the townspeople events.

It is alot more like rune factory than i expected. The combat gets better too when you unlock more options and the link supports.

Glad i didn't refund it. I thought if i refund trails in the sky fc for being boring the first 2 hours (and it was kinda boring) i wouldn't be into the series.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Sophie finally click with me after 5 hours or so. Basically when you unlock more party members, opened several areas and unlock several recipes and starting to do the townspeople events.

It is alot more like rune factory than i expected. The combat gets better too when you unlock more options and the link supports.

Glad i didn't refund it. I thought if i refund trails in the sky fc for being boring the first 2 hours (and it was kinda boring) i wouldn't be into the series.

I always put 5-10 hours into longer jap games to see if they are worth it.Even stuff like yakuza doesn't get really interesting until hours later.
Which is a stark contrast when ti comes to western games,where you can gauge quality in less then a hour.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom