Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic I DID IT!!! (Old: I just can't seem to finish Might and Magic VI)

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
MM6 has bad pacing. Leveling doesn't do enough to benefit you, mobs suffer from severe HP bloat, and item drops are unimpressive. Then you get lazor guns and you can faceroll the endgame. It's lame.

mm6 is probably my 1st rpg ever. It took me like 15-20 years to finish it for the first time
:what:

I think it took me about a year or so to get through, but I was playing it on a friend's PC on the weekends because it wouldn't run on mine for some odd reason.

Probably why I have such a large dislike of the game tbh, that slog was unforgettable. MM7 is a much better game but that comment tends to start a flame war around here.

*ahem*

Might and Magic 7 is the better game.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
MM6 has bad pacing. Leveling doesn't do enough to benefit you, mobs suffer from severe HP bloat, and item drops are unimpressive. Then you get lazor guns and you can faceroll the endgame. It's lame.

mm6 is probably my 1st rpg ever. It took me like 15-20 years to finish it for the first time

I think it took me about a year or so to get through, but I was playing it on a friend's PC on the weekends because it wouldn't run on mine for some odd reason.

Probably why I have such a large dislike of the game tbh, that slog was unforgettable. MM7 is a much better game but that comment tends to start a flame war around here.

*ahem*

MM7 is on my .txt, I'm mostly interested in it because I heard that it has a minigame that is really good.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Trying to play one of these 300 hours RPGs nowadays all in one streak is foolish. We have too many distractions and too many new games worth playing.
MM6 wans't that long,i didn't finished it but i did reached the control centre in less than two weeks of playtime.The game is around 40-60 hours long,but if you can only play 2 hours per day then it takes one entire month to beat it.
EIN7sNH.png
It's a matter of time x 1

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Thanks for the encouragement guys. I will definitely keep the game installed and get back to it from time to time.

What I realized is that I should change my gaming habit. Since I was a kid I was always the type of gamer who only played one game at a time, and played those from start to finish in a short period of time. But I realize that being an adult, there are stuff to do, distraction to be had and I should take a break from games, or play other smaller games during the bigger ones. I shouldn't force myself to play the same way I did 15-20 years ago.

Thank you Dr. Codex, you saved my Might and Magic VI playthrough.

Last edited:

Dyspaire

Cipher
When I start to lose focus and feel like quitting, I try to re-connect with the characters I've created.

I try to re-invest in their motivations and journey. Doesn't always work, but if you start looking for short-term goals; one dungeon at a time, one quest at a time, one upgrade at a time... it can help.

Good luck. It's been said elsewhere in this thread that MM6 endgame is not the best, very true, but if you haven't made it to the pyramid at least, that's worth seeing.

And if you make it that far, you're nearly there.

Cheers.

Self-Ejected

Daze

Red Panda Alt
MM6 is better in quality than MM7 but just too long imo.
MM7 has perfect length without becoming boring and at least a little replay value with good-evil mechanic and human-elf conflict.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
The hunt for relics and artefacts was what kept me playing the end game part of MM6.

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
Reminds me of my buddy when we were playing mm6 in primary school. His proto-computer couldn't handle it, so he carried his save games on a 3.5" floppy disk from friend to friend. Boy did it take him long to finish. :D

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Sounds like you're trying to play the game the "right" way, just roll up 3 sorcerers and a cleric, abuse black potions, save money for a duper and a teleporter and then go to Blackshire and get dark magic. You'll be shrapmetalling stuff to death in no time!

Citizen

Because 60+ hours games are a mistake. 20-40 hours is an optimal length, cause even a great gameplay loop like M&M6 becomes boring after 40 hours.

I wish RPGs were a tighter experience, and instead of pouring all the 80 hours of content and trashmobs into one playthrough, they actually made some class/choices gated content for multiple playthroughs.

Citizen

100%ed AoD yet, boyo?

I don't enjoy CYOA gameplay of AoD and the general tone, even though the battle system is cool, doubt't I will ever bother finishing it. I have yet to try DR tho

If we are talking traditional popamole-style story/C&C focused RPGs. then for me personally MOTB/Fallout1/HotU were much better experiences than NWN/Fallout2/BG2 and the rest of the codex classics, mostly because they are shorter and thus more focused and coherent

Self-Ejected

Daze

Red Panda Alt
Not even one playthrough?
Finishing AoD once takes like 15 hours.

Even shorter than the short games you mentioned.
And has the highest replay value i have seen.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Because 60+ hours games are a mistake. 20-40 hours is an optimal length, cause even a great gameplay loop like M&M6 becomes boring after 40 hours.

I wish RPGs were a tighter experience, and instead of pouring all the 80 hours of content and trashmobs into one playthrough, they actually made some class/choices gated content for multiple playthroughs.
Wholeheartadly agree. This is why I can't get into huge open world RPGs. I don't play shit like Oblivion and Skyrim, I couldn't even finish The Witcher 3 for fucks sake. And M&M6 seems a bit on the long side too, but I will finish it in short breaks.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
The one big thing I do hold against MM6 is that it's very disorganized, half the time you'll find dungeons before you ever have a reason to go into them.

And then there's Castle Darkmoor, which I'm sure the mere thought of has put an end to many a replay.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Wholeheartadly agree. This is why I can't get into huge open world RPGs. I don't play shit like Oblivion and Skyrim, I couldn't even finish The Witcher 3 for fucks sake. And M&M6 seems a bit on the long side too, but I will finish it in short breaks.

There are absolutely games I play for 40+ hours without a break and love every minute of it. From your posts it's pretty obvious you like this game but don't love it, and that's why you want it to end. I mean who knows, maybe you really are incapable of playing something for 50 hours, but I don't think that's a general issue for gamers. It's about how much you actually enjoy every facet of the game.

When Deus Ex: Human Revolution came out I did back-to-back long playthroughs with different play-styles, easily getting up to almost 100 hours. However Witcher 3 I stopped 20-30 hours in, because I wasn't having fun anymore. It's about what pushes your buttons.

Citizen

Not even one playthrough?
Finishing AoD once takes like 15 hours.

I didn't enjoy it, so I'm not planning to play it further. I appreciate the br00tal combat, but it's very far from the sandboxy exploration/party management RPGs I enjoy. I heard DR is party based and more of dungeon crawler, so I'm looking forward to trying this one. Right now it's in a long list of stuff I bought but never played

I do play these monster huge RPGs sometimes, but I would drop them every 20-40 hours of gameplay at some sort of chapter/story arc end, and take a month break playing a shorter game

Hobo Elf

Arcane

*ahem*

They'll hate you for telling the truth.
I like MM8 more than MM6 as well.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom