Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Emulation central - recommendations in 1st post

Goi~Yaas~Dinn

Savant
https://github.com/OpenEmu/OpenEmu/commit/a16fea7e0f872f6e1f6bb461fd96b2d518cabcf9

"Self-deprecation"....What wonderful euphemisms these insufferable faggots use! So glad I grabbed the shit I wanted from them when they began acting like high-and-mighty fuckholes years ago. And really, that's the lesson to be learned here: if you don't trust a developer anymore, GRAB ALL THE SHIT YOU NEED OFF THEIR SERVER (before they memory hole it). I'm still mad I didn't think to archive old RA versions until long after I discovered their buildbot just disappeared any shit they felt was "too old" (and never did keep pre-built cores around!).

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Tried out the January 17th build of Xenia CANARY with Lost Odyssey at 2x Resolution (1440p)...
Rig: intel i5 8400 (6-core / 6-thread), nvidia gtx 1060

2x res(i assume 720p times 2? I guess that means 1440p), gives an average of 18-22 fps when moving around beginning area map:
PIC%20-%20Xenia%20LO%202x%20Res%20FPS.png

1x res (720p I suppose), runs at 100% speed, or full-speed or however you want to term it; means 30fps in the field and 60fps in the menus in this case:
PIC%20-%20Xenia%20LO%201x%20Default%20Res%20FPS.png

PIC%20-%20Xenia%20LO%201x%20Default%20Res%20FPS%20Pic%20%232.png

Full speed in menus, in this case that means 60fps:
PIC%20-%20Xenia%20LO%20Menu%2060fps.png

Verdict: it's already playable enough if you're desperate for it, but it looks fugly in native rez. I'll wait until Xenia can run it at 2x resolution at full speed on my rig before diving in, i think it should be possible especially considering how close it already is at doing so... i don't mind waiting a few more months or whatever to be able to play the game without jaggies everywhere.

EDIT: I did notice in this current Xenia Canary build that the music was cutting off randomly and then coming back on, which I don't remember happening the last time I tried one of the builds.

Last edited:

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
I got tired of waiting on "good" PS2 emulation and bought a phat for ~$30. Apparently, it's even one of the good revisions. Drive still works and everything.
What's the problem with ps2 emulation? It already worked almost perfectly years ago on any toaster.
Really depends on the game. A bunch of JRPGs required me to fiddle with pixel offsets and VP2 I couldn't get right no matter what. Shadow Hearts Covenant has prominent black screen effects during battle and doesn't play nice with widescreen.
If you can suffer the native resolution, you can always use the SW renderer. As far as I know it fixes any glitches everytime.

Puukko

Arcane
I got tired of waiting on "good" PS2 emulation and bought a phat for ~$30. Apparently, it's even one of the good revisions. Drive still works and everything.
What's the problem with ps2 emulation? It already worked almost perfectly years ago on any toaster.
Really depends on the game. A bunch of JRPGs required me to fiddle with pixel offsets and VP2 I couldn't get right no matter what. Shadow Hearts Covenant has prominent black screen effects during battle and doesn't play nice with widescreen.
If you can suffer the native resolution, you can always use the SW renderer. As far as I know it fixes any glitches everytime.
Not fast enough on VP2 unfortunately.

Reinhardt

Arcane
I remember only two games gave me problems when i played ps2 emulator back then - VP2 and Eternal Poison.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Not fast enough on VP2 unfortunately.

Out of curiosity I tried VP2 with the last build of PCSX2. It seems to run consistently at 100% in SW mode on my computer.

bRBSn7G.png

although it is a pity. The graphics is gorgeous and it really improves when upscaled via HW.

AlSau13.png

flyingjohn

Arcane
Does anybody here use a amd card and has no major problems with emulators? Especially older emulators that don't use vulkan.
I am thinking of getting a amd card,but heard nightmares about the opengl driver performance,especially with emulators.

sullynathan

Arcane
Does anybody here use a amd card and has no major problems with emulators? Especially older emulators that don't use vulkan.
I am thinking of getting a amd card,but heard nightmares about the opengl driver performance,especially with emulators.
I've got RX 580 but have no problems with citra & dolphin without using Vulkan but i haven't tried the older emulators on this system.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong

You can generally expect equivalent AMD hardware to perform at about half the performance of its NVIDIA counterpart, and also have loads of bugs and broken features that need to be worked around - AFAIK PCSX2 still has issues with using dual blending and a few other things on AMD.

In my experience, this only applies to the WINDOWS drivers though;
If you're using MESA on Linux, everything is fine, in fact, you might bizarrely see even better performance from the OpenGL renderer than its Vulkan counterpart - something I see fairly regularly with RPCS3.

EDIT:
For example, when I recorded this. Even with a clean shader cache, the shaders compiled so quickly under OpenGL that there wasn't really anything to show.
Whereas it took quite a while under Vulkan, which made for a very nice demo of the new at the time async shader compilation.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
does persona 5 still glitch out in specific Palaces when using the 60fps patch? used to see ppl post "game can't progress" or "keeps loading black screen after beating boss" and stuff like that all the time in the RPCS3 reddit, and the culprit was always the 60fps patch, which is why I've never bothered using it.

...though the real reason I'm not "using it" right now is cos I dropped Persona 5 cos it sucks :P

spekkio

Arcane
BROS.

While twerking my PSP collection:

lM6Ukkw.png

I've stumbled upon the fact, that some DLCs for PSP games are no longer available in Playstation Store, due to Sony being retards. Fortunately, you can grab some of them online. Tested disso shitto for two games:

Wipeout Pure

Killzone - Liberation

That is all. :obviously:

Vorark

Erudite
BROS.

While twerking my PSP collection:

Persona 3 undub! I see you're a weeb man of culture. Bunch of oldschool VAs in the Japanese cast.

Ahh I miss my PSP. RIP little guy, Vita was never the successor you deserved.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Interesting, what's your build? Mine's from last February, perhaps I should update next time I use it.
It's v1.5.0-dev-3345-g96ef80077, downloaded a couple of weeks ago. My CPU is an Intel i7-9700F @ 3 GHz. VP2 works flawlessy in OpenGL SW rendering with ~ 35-40% CPU usage (I went through the game up to the Dipan Castle level.)
By the by, I found no way to use HW rendering for VP2 without any glitches and it's a real pity for this game. The graphics of VP2 is very strange. It's like it is a remastered HD version of itself. Every graphics details (UI, 2D and 3D art) seem already tailored to be rendered with an higher resolution than the native PS2 one.

Last edited:

sullynathan

Arcane
Anyone get bayonetta 2 working on CEMU? Keeps crashing for me.

Works fine for me checked both opengl & vulkan make sure to update to 1.17.0d. Shadows are still completely missing which is a shame.
Reddit people said the game is completely broken in Vulkan, and it crashes for me on vulkan right after the intro level. I'll try open gl

tet666

Augur

Works fine for me checked both opengl & vulkan make sure to update to 1.17.0.d Shadows are still completely missing which is a shame.
Reddit people said the game is completely broken in Vulkan, and it crashes for me on vulkan right after the intro level. I'll try open gl

The last comments about it crashing i can find are from a month ago from a older version are you sure you are on 1.17.0.d? Again i played it a bit on opengl and vulkan and there are no crashes for me at least with nvidia.

Last edited:

sullynathan

Arcane

Works fine for me checked both opengl & vulkan make sure to update to 1.17.0.d Shadows are still completely missing which is a shame.

The last comments about it crashing i can find are from a month ago from a older version are you sure you are on 1.17.0.d? Again i played it a bit on opengl and vulkan and there are no crashes for me at least with nvidia.
Yea, I'm on 1.17.0d. It crashed when I used my old save so I tested it by starting a new one. The intro is entirely playable until you get to the next chapter and it always crashes at the intro cutscene.

tet666

Augur
Yea, I'm on 1.17.0d. It crashed when I used my old save so I tested it by starting a new one. The intro is entirely playable until you get to the next chapter and it always crashes at the intro cutscene.

My saves work fine but i didn't test the beginning but why not switch to opengl? According to reddit only vulkan is broken.

sullynathan

Arcane

My saves work fine but i didn't test the beginning but why not switch to opengl? According to reddit only vulkan is broken.
I'm using an RX 580 and my performance over a year ago with openGl was terrible in breath of the wild so I didn't use cemu at all until vulkan released. I can try, but if the choice is bad performance but fully playable game vs good performance but waiting for months - a year till playable, then I'll wait.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom